Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Reading

martinsantos

Practically Family
Yes. He shows Socrates as a philosopher who had a very authoritarian idea about how the perfect State would be. The democracy as the wrong way. And the teach this is the trully meaning about "to corromp the youthness" - Critias among the youth.

Does Stone agree with Aeschines that Socrates was sentenced
to death because he had educated Critias?:rip:

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Yes. He shows Socrates as a philosopher who had a very authoritarian idea about how the perfect State would be. The democracy as the wrong way.

Will look at Stone. Enjoyed Frederick Copleston's inquiry as to same in his History opus.

But most intriguing about Socrates is his rejecting exile as trial avoidance.
And his inflammatory response. Plato adequately sums his position, of course, but still.... Stare decisis. :(

martinsantos

Practically Family
The version Stone give to Socrates' refusal to scape is very interesting and makes sense.

Socrates didn't agree with the democracy in Athens; to him, just those who really know something must do this. At his trial he was, in fact, offending the judges and really looking for the death penalty. To die would be the a coerent answer from Socrates about his own thoughts. He couldn't ask mercy from the judges if he always told people has no knowledge to do this. His death would demonstrate the unfair decision by a trial by people.

I think you will kike a lot Stone. And I'll try to find Copleston!

Last edited:
I feel that I must apologize for the confusion possibly incurred by the first sentence of my earlier posting. To the best of my knowledge, Ross MacDonald did not write "Blue City" on an IPAD or the Big Kindle in 1947.

Deepest apologies,

Touchofevil!

apba1166

A-List Customer
I read Jude first - it was my initiation into Hardy - and was so taken by his work that I immediately gathered whatever else of his I could. I have The Mayor of Casterbridge waiting for when I finish this one. :) He has to be one of the most jarring, intoxicating, fascinating authors I've had the pleasure to experience.

I always said, if I win the lottery--or even find a bag of cash on the road--I will sit in my backyard and just read Thomas Hardy novels. He writes Jude at the end, gets hammered for it. Stops writing in his mid050s for the rest of his life (except poetry). His notebooks/journals are amazing.

WH1

Practically Family
John Keegan's The Second World War.

Excellent choice, Keegan is brilliant. His "Mask of Command" and "Face of Battle" are among the finest books written about leadership and warfare. He has the rare ability to make a potentially dry subject eminently readable. I have been reading his "Fields of Battle" for the last week or so, as able.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Excellent choice, Keegan is brilliant. His "Mask of Command" and "Face of Battle" are among the finest books written about leadership and warfare. He has the rare ability to make a potentially dry subject eminently readable. I have been reading his "Fields of Battle" for the last week or so, as able.

I'm enjoying it so far and can't believe I haven't read it until now.

Feraud

Bartender
Just finished a fascinating book about an early failed attempt to remove Hitler from leadership. The book is The Oster Conspiracy of 1938: The Unknown Story of the Military Plot to Kill Hitler and Avert World War II by Terry Parssinen. An interesting read on many levels.

I am starting Legs by William Kennedy.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Just finished a fascinating book about an early failed attempt to remove Hitler from leadership. The book is The Oster Conspiracy of 1938: The Unknown Story of the Military Plot to Kill Hitler and Avert World War II by Terry Parssinen. An interesting read on many levels.

Oooh! This sounds fascinating!

Feraud

Bartender
It was a fascinating read. The book's foundation was the rapidly growing unease among high ranked military men of the German Army as Hitler expressed his plans for expansion.
The unease spread from the military to civilan professions to the point where there was a definite and active plan to remove Hitler from power. This was before Hitler invades Poland and becomes the tyrant we all know and despise.
There were some amazingly prescient quotes from military leaders regarding the future war, it's outcome and legacy.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
The Ways of Syria; Stasis in Damascus Fouad Ajami
Review in essay of The View From Damascus by Itamar Rabinovich;
Foreign Affairs, May/June 2009

The distillation of an Israeli study of Syria.

Samuell

New in Town
I am reading IT series book (Introduction to information technology)...Its really informative ...!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner