Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Reading

The Pulps: 50 Years of American Pop Culture
edited by Tony Goodstone
New York: Bonanza Books, 1970

Pulps.jpg

Last edited:

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
Just finished "The Red Leather Diary", which I began yesterday with a small bit of trepidation after having read a couple negative reviews. My review: it's a lovely piece of work, vaguely reminiscent of Little Edie's diary in providing a detailed glimpse of the good life in New York through the eyes of an intelligent and insightful young lady. This one made all the more poignant by knowing Francis Howitt, the diary's author, has just passed away earlier this month.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Just finished "Copperhead" by Bernard Cornwell, the second of his Starbuck civil war novels. I am now starting Lord of the Rings for the third time, as its been long enough between readings!

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
I enjoyed his Starbuck series...hope he eventually writes another one.

I bought volumes 1, 2 and 4 but until I get 3 I'm stuck! I gather he's finished with that series, but he had "finished" Sharpe at one point but brought him back for more adventures. I also agonize for one to two years between his Alfred/Uhtred series set in the ninth century.

TM

A-List Customer
I've recently discovered the late author Ted Lewis. Lewis is primarily known for his novel "Jack's Return Home" which became a Michael Caine film entitled "Get Carter". "Get Carter" is a great film, and the novel is even better. Lewis is kind of a 1970's Jim Thompson, but meaner. Much meaner. And yes, that is possible.

jacksreturnhome.jpg

If you want a really, really mean read, try his "Grievous Bodily Harm". As I mentioned in another thread, Lewis makes Jim Thompson look like Doctor Seuss.

images

Tony

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana