Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Reading

filfoster

One Too Many
Discovered the Bernie Gunther novels of Phillip Kerr this summer. Wonderful noir stories, set in Pre-/wartime/post war Berlin and elsewhere. Why have these never been made into movies?

Coincidentally, there is a lively discussion here http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?66544-The-Nationalist-Myth-War-and-quot-Vintage-quot

about German war guilt. These novels, written by an English author, I think do a wonderful job explaining the mindset. Bernie Gunther was not a Party member or even an adherent to the dreadful racial/social tenets of the Nazis but his character, as he moves through the novels, has ample opportunity to limn the complexity of how his fellow Germans dealt with it all and he is not overly sympathetic but I think fair. One of the incidental rewards of these stories is to gain some better appreciation of what it may have been like to have 'been there'.

Last edited:
89230.jpg

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Just finished Siegfried Sassoon's "Sherston's Progress", the last volume of a trilogy written by the great WW I poet.
Now I'm reading "That Man, an Insider's Portrait of Franklin D. Roosevelt", by Robert H. Jackson. Jackson was one of FDR's most intimate and trusted people. He was Solicitor General Attorney General, an Associate Supreme Court Justice, and was the chief prosecutor at the Nuremburg trials. This is a manuscript that had not been finished at the time of Jackson's premature death in 1954, and was rediscovered in 2003. Looks like it's gonna be a great read.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic