Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Reading

Finally finished The Raven about Sam Houston's life. He was a character bigger than life that is for sure. I always love how he managed to be at the right place and right time to hear some jackass say something to the effect that Sam Houston was a Traitor or some such thing and deserved a bleating etc. . He always got in their face and said " I am Sam Houston. Go ahead and see what happens." They always backed down from a 6 foot 2 or 3" bear of a man. lol lol

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Just filled a hole in my shelf of Sears catalogs by picking up the Fall-Winter 1950 edition. It's an interesting comparison with the catalogs of the years just before the war. One major difference is the increasing presence of licensed merchandise -- apparently Roy Rogers struck a deal with Sears, because the children's sections are loaded with Roy Rogers and Dale Evans merchandise, ranging from playsuits to sweatshirts to pajamas to school bags. Bugs Bunny also shows up on kids' T-shirts and sweatshirts, but the only evidence of Disney merchandise is a girls' playsuit.

Women's fashions are finally moving away from the hideous stylization of the 1947-49 New Look era, but skirts are still long and dowdy. Shoe styles are very much like those of the early forties, although larger sizes are now being offered. Silk stockings are hard to find, but seamless nylons are very popular. There is also, in this year which saw Dagmar become the biggest woman on television, an impressive selection of falsies.

Television is a relatively new addition to Sears -- it had first shown up in 1949 -- but already they're promoting a 12-inch table model set for $139 as "the ideal second television set for any home! Carry it with you (it only weighs forty pounds) from room to room!"

In the Automotive department you can still get a rebuilt Model A Ford engine, but Model T parts have disappeared.

The book department is the most illuminating section of all. Sears' prewar book departments were quite impressive for the breadth of material they offered -- in the late thirties, you could choose from quite a few important, serious-minded non-fiction books dealing with politics and sociological matters, and there was even a selection of up-to-date volumes on human sexuality. None of this appears in the 1950 catalog -- the non-fiction books offered are how-to/do-it-yourself manuals, Bible study and devotional aids, household manuals, cookbooks, child-rearing guides -- Spock is conspicuous by his absence -- and the latest edition of Emily Post's Etiquette, which is sold with the disturbing come-on "Feel Safe in Every Situation!" There's one birth-control book, but it's advertised as "a guide for spacing pregnancies" that "does not interfere with the laws of nature." (Squeamish though Sears might be about birth control, the selection of spermicidal jellies that's been present since the mid-thirties is still there, and is given an entire page in the 1950 edition. Who's fooling who?)

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Just filled a hole in my shelf of Sears catalogs by picking up the Fall-Winter 1950 edition. It's an interesting comparison with the catalogs of the years just before the war. One major difference is the increasing presence of licensed merchandise -- apparently Roy Rogers struck a deal with Sears, because the children's sections are loaded with Roy Rogers and Dale Evans merchandise, ranging from playsuits to sweatshirts to pajamas to school bags. Bugs Bunny also shows up on kids' T-shirts and sweatshirts, but the only evidence of Disney merchandise is a girls' playsuit.

Women's fashions are finally moving away from the hideous stylization of the 1947-49 New Look era, but skirts are still long and dowdy. Shoe styles are very much like those of the early forties, although larger sizes are now being offered. Silk stockings are hard to find, but seamless nylons are very popular. There is also, in this year which saw Dagmar become the biggest woman on television, an impressive selection of falsies.

Television is a relatively new addition to Sears -- it had first shown up in 1949 -- but already they're promoting a 12-inch table model set for $139 as "the ideal second television set for any home! Carry it with you (it only weighs forty pounds) from room to room!"

In the Automotive department you can still get a rebuilt Model A Ford engine, but Model T parts have disappeared.

The book department is the most illuminating section of all. Sears' prewar book departments were quite impressive for the breadth of material they offered -- in the late thirties, you could choose from quite a few important, serious-minded non-fiction books dealing with politics and sociological matters, and there was even a selection of up-to-date volumes on human sexuality. None of this appears in the 1950 catalog -- the non-fiction books offered are how-to/do-it-yourself manuals, Bible study and devotional aids, household manuals, cookbooks, child-rearing guides -- Spock is conspicuous by his absence -- and the latest edition of Emily Post's Etiquette, which is sold with the disturbing come-on "Feel Safe in Every Situation!" There's one birth-control book, but it's advertised as "a guide for spacing pregnancies" that "does not interfere with the laws of nature." (Squeamish though Sears might be about birth control, the selection of spermicidal jellies that's been present since the mid-thirties is still there, and is given an entire page in the 1950 edition. Who's fooling who?)

I LOVED reading this, Lizzie. (Seriously, you should write a book!)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
If you want to understand not just the consumption habits but the *mind* of average Americans of the twentieth century, a careful study of the Sears catalog is the place to do it. David L. Cohn, an author I strongly recommend, wrote a book in 1940 called "The Good Old Days" which looks at the Sears catalogs of the company's first fifty years in much this manner, but an update of the idea wouldn't be out of place.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
... I'm going to watch the movie in the morning, but I am glad that I got to read the uncensored version, having those scenes back in gives a whole new dimension to what is already a very very gritty, almost painful read. It's certainly a work of brilliance, and I am glad I finally got to it. If I had a criticism, it would be what I felt was an overly simplified view of "saintly whores and devilish officers", but if that was his experience than I can respect that portrayal. There is so much in depth character development...

From Here To Eternity is considered a poorly structured, overlong, and tedious first novel; though its brutal honesty undeniably
offers a sharp focus on prewar soldiering; and the character Maggio cuts through Fate's web to gain an ostensible Section 8 victory,
which eluded both Pruitt and the author. Jones realized during its writing that his main character would have to die or the novel
would be emasculated. The Thin Red Line shows this lack, as does Jones' subsequent Whistle, finished posthumously
by a friend at his widow's request. From Here To Eternity was based on actual company garrison experience and other events
known to Jones; however, the introduction of previously censored material alluded to in the original edition adds little in my view
to the novel itself.

Robert Hughes, Barcelona

pawineguy

One Too Many
From Here To Eternity is considered a poorly structured, overlong, and tedious first novel; though its brutal honesty undeniably
offers a sharp focus on prewar soldiering; and the character Maggio cuts through Fate's web to gain an ostensible Section 8 victory,
which eluded both Pruitt and the author. Jones realized during its writing that his main character would have to die or the novel
would be emasculated. The Thin Red Line shows this lack, as does Jones' subsequent Whistle, finished posthumously
by a friend at his widow's request. From Here To Eternity was based on actual company garrison experience and other events
known to Jones; however, the introduction of previously censored material alluded to in the original edition adds little in my view
to the novel itself.

Robert Hughes, Barcelona

I believe that the novel was shocking enough at time of release that it may not have needed the extra material, and would certainly have not received much distribution if it had not been edited. I much prefer reading a novel in the form as originally intended by the author. It might be time for you to re-visit, as Prewitt is certainly never seeking a section 8, that's one of the central tenets of the novel. Also, Jones was granted his honorable discharge from the army after going awol and then returning. When he demonstrated symptoms of what we now call PTSD, he was discharged. (1944)

Harp

I'll Lock Up
I believe that the novel was shocking enough at time of release that it may not have needed the extra material, and would certainly have not received much distribution if it had not been edited. I much prefer reading a novel in the form as originally intended by the author. It might be time for you to re-visit, as Prewitt is certainly never seeking a section 8, that's one of the central tenets of the novel. Also, Jones was granted his honorable discharge from the army after going awol and then returning. When he demonstrated symptoms of what we now call PTSD, he was discharged. (1944)

In my prior post, I did mention Maggio escaping Fate by way of a Section 8 stockade discharge. At this point in the story
Maggio leaves Hawaii and presumably returned to New York a newly minted civilian. Pru met his fate but he was a career man
and I did not intend to link him to Maggio's quest for discharge; rather both he as protagonist and James Jones were caught in a
bind. Jones' intended trilogy, From Here To Eternity; The Thin Red Line; and Whistle were all affected by this literary fact.

My understanding of Jones' military service is that he received a Bad Conduct discharge upon his release from the post stockade
at Ft Campbell, Kentucky in 1944. He had busted sergeant across a court martial board for assaulting a MP.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
If you want to understand not just the consumption habits but the *mind* of average Americans of the twentieth century, a careful study of the Sears catalog is the place to do it. David L. Cohn, an author I strongly recommend, wrote a book in 1940 called "The Good Old Days" which looks at the Sears catalogs of the company's first fifty years in much this manner, but an update of the idea wouldn't be out of place.

I'll have to look for that book. I'll also have to look for a Sears catalog (though I'm assuming they may be a bit hard to find?).

pawineguy

One Too Many
In my prior post, I did mention Maggio escaping Fate by way of a Section 8 stockade discharge. At this point in the story
Maggio leaves Hawaii and presumably returned to New York a newly minted civilian. Pru met his fate but he was a career man
and I did not intend to link him to Maggio's quest for discharge; rather both he as protagonist and James Jones were caught in a
bind. Jones' intended trilogy, From Here To Eternity; The Thin Red Line; and Whistle were all affected by this literary fact.

My understanding of Jones' military service is that he received a Bad Conduct discharge upon his release from the post stockade
at Ft Campbell, Kentucky in 1944. He had busted sergeant across a court martial board for assaulting a MP.

Yes, Maggio and Prewitt had exactly opposite problems. Maggio will do anything to get out; Prewitt will do anything to stay in; eventually risking a murder rap in order to return from AWOL, and thus meeting his fate. Ironically, Jones had actually recovered from being busted for going AWOL (which he resorted to after being denied a limited duty assignment), was promoted to Sergeant, and then began to display signs of a psychological disorder and was honorably discharged.

I agree with assessments that the novel is overly long and poorly structured, its brilliance lies in its stark realism and incredible character development. Watching the movie right after reading the book was an enormous disappointment. It would take 3 to 4 movies to delve fully into Jones' story.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I'll have to look for that book. I'll also have to look for a Sears catalog (though I'm assuming they may be a bit hard to find?).

They do turn up if you keep your eyes out -- after thirty-five years of consciously looking for them, I've gotten representative copies of most editions from 1937 thru 1942, with scattered editions before and after that date, going back to 1930 and forward to 1965. I've paid anywhere from $5 to $50 per copy depending on where I found them -- eBay copies will always cost more than ones that turn up at your neighborhood junk shoppe.

Another thing to be aware of is that there was no single edition for each catalog issue -- Sears issued them on a district basis from various distribution hubs around the country, and each of these hubs offered a slightly different selection of merchandise based on demand in each geographic area. A catalog issued for the Boston district will not be identical to one issued for the Los Angeles district which will not be identical to one issued for the Kansas City district. I don't know of anyone who has a complete set of all editions of every issue -- even Sears itself is missing a few.

That said, *most* of the pages are the same among the various editions of a particular issue, but, for example, there would be a much greater emphasis on farm goods in the Kansas City edition compared to the Los Angeles edition, and the Minneapolis edition would offer a greater selection of heavy winter clothing than the Dallas edition.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
James Salter's "A Sport and a Pastime". Probably the most erotic yet beautifully written novel on lust. None of your "Fifty Shades of Grey" rubbish.

(Cross posted in the "Loungers in Print" thread)

I just finished "Nebraska POW Camps: A History of World War II Prisoners in the Heartland" by Melissa Amateis Marsh - our fellow FL member AmeteisGal - and wrote the below review to encourage everyone to go out and buy a copy because (1) it is an outstanding book, (2) it is great to support one of our own and (3) it will inspire people to write more histories.

"Nebraska POW Camps: A History of World War II Prisoners in the Heartland" by Melissa Amateis Marsh (aka AmeteisGal to us here at Fedora Lounge)

If you aren't familiar or, like I was, are only vaguely familiar with the who, what and why of POWs in the United States during WWII, then you'll find "Nebraska POW Camps" enlightening and enjoyable. If you are well versed in the mainstream WWII history books, then this book will add a niche element of the story to your overall war narrative.

As Amaties points out, the book is neither a straight scholarly study nor general history, but a combination of the two. As a reader, you'll notice that some parts are fact-based like scholarly papers and can be, not boring, but more "dry", while other parts sing with the anecdotal stories and personal observations that make history come alive.

While the scope of the POWs in the US - about 400,000 Germans, 51,000 Italians and 5,000 Japanese - wasn't small, the detailed historical record, as Amateis highlights, is thin, especially as she focuses on just those POW camps in Nebraska. That said, her diligent work brings out the details needed to understand the story behind why they were brought here - the UK was running out of room and resources (could not have been fun for the British official who had to call and ask the US for one whopper of a favor) - and the logistical and political challenges of housing POWs in the US.

As you move through this relatively short book, you'll learn how the camps were built, who commanded them, who guarded them, the day-to-day lives of the prisoners and the US military's compliance with the Geneva Conventions on the treatment of POWs (overall, taken very seriously, if for no other reason than the US wanted American POWs treated well in Axis POW camps). You'll also learn about the work the POWs did while here - mainly much needed agricultural, but also, at least one example of - and in direct violation of the Geneva Conventions - munitions factory work. Further, the book analyzes how the system dealt with the hardcore Nazis (mainly by corralling and isolating them from the rest of the POW population) and what efforts were made at re-education (sincere, inconsistent and lacking the necessary records to make conclusive statements as to their effectiveness).

Away from all that, you'll get an intimate feel for the life of the POWs and their interactions with the local populations that they were, quite often, working for day in and day out. Here is where the fun stories and humanity come through the loudest: despite the rules, farm families were constantly giving the POWs extra food during long work days (strawberry shortcake parties were a hit) or having marksmanship competitions (yes, shocking, but it highlights the trusting bonds that were formed). Ameteis also relates how many POWs kept in touch for decades with their American friends and some - when able - emigrated to the US and moved to Nebraska to start new and successful lives after the war.

This last fact is less surprising -- Ameties points out that she could find no instances of prisoners complaining about their imprisonment. It seems that many POWs were happy to spend the duration of the war in POW camps (escape attempts were rare), the US military, largely, played by the rules and the local populations who employed the POWs were good to and happy with (actually, desperate for) the added manpower.

While WWII histories are usually about colossal battles, ideological and philosophical conflicts writ large, massive loss of life and treasure, geopolitical machinations and out-sized personalities and leaders, "Nebraska POW Camps" provides a poignant view into a very human, somewhat removed and, at times, quixotic corner of the 20th Century's defining war.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Currently engrossed in "American Axis: Henry Ford, Charles Lindbergh and the Rise of the Third Reich," by investigative journalist/historian Max Wallace. This came out in 2002, but I'm only now catching up to it -- and it's so far an absorbing look at, not just the involvement of Ford and Lindbergh with Nazi Germany, which runs a lot deeper than most people realize, but also at the actual beliefs of those two men and how those beliefs were shaped.

One of the most interesting revelations in the book is the story of how Ford -- a man whose grasp of history was so tenuous that he once testified in court that he believed the Revolutionary War was fought in 1812 -- first encountered the forged "Protocols of the Elders of Zion," an alleged Jewish plan for world domination that he published in his newspaper, The Dearborn Independent, in the early twenties. According to Wallace's investigation, Ford's personal secretary, a shadowy German-American named Ernest Liebold, recieved a copy of the Protocols directly from White Russian emigre and former Czarist agent Boris Brasol, who had been circulating the document in State Department and U. S. military circles since 1919 in an effort to link the Bolshevik Revolution with "international Jewry." Ford's publication of the Protocols, in turn, directly influenced events in Germany, where his compendium "The International Jew" was required reading in Nazi circles by 1922. Thus, Wallace posits, not only was Ford a personal inspiration to Hitler -- a fact which Hitler himself readily acknowledged -- but Ford's views had a direct influence on the development of Hitler's own. Boris Brasol, meanwhile, after successfull infiltrating and promoting his beliefts within the U. S. Secret Service, would resurface in the late thirties as an advisor on "the Jewish Question" to none other than Father Coughlin.

Lindbergh's views, meanwhile, evolved from an incoherent sense of Nordic superiority in his youth to a "scientific racism" in the thirties due to the influence of one man: Dr. Alexis Carrell, whose belief in eugenics evolved during the early thirties into a quasi-mystical belief in the physical and spiritual superiority of the "Aryan White Race." Wallace is one of only two authors to receive unrestricted access to Lindbergh's personal papers, and he backs up what he says with extensive quotations direct from the source.

Wallace also documents how thoroughly hoodwinked Lindbergh actually was by his Nazi hosts in his descriptions of German air strength in 1938 -- with his descriptions of Luftwaffe air power greatly exaggerated over what that strength actually was. Lindbergh's "findings" directly influenced Ambassador Joseph Kennedy, who in turn influenced the British view of Nazi air strength -- which directly influenced British willingness to allow the dismemberment of Czechoslovakia at Munich. Wallace submits that the Nazis bamboozled the world in 1938 with a gigantic bluff, and charges that Lindbergh was the primary pawn enabling this deception.

With all that in just the first half of the book, I'm very much looking forward to Wallace's look behind the scenes at America First.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner