Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Reading

magneto

Practically Family
RedPop4 said:
I've also a Jeeves & Wooster comependium I need to get back to.

Hurray, P.G. Wodehouse! :eusa_clap
(Quote du jour: "The kind of person who thinks [Thomas Mann] a great writer and Wodehouse not a great writer is precisely the kind of person who would believe that professional credentials are necessary to make such
judgments." --Roger Ebert)

I just picked up Buster Keaton's autobiography, "My Wonderful World of Slapstick"

SGB

One of the Regulars
Just finished "Mustang Ace, Memoirs of a P-51 Fighter Pilot" by Robert J. Goebel, first person story of his time as a pilot in WWII.
Now reading "Waiting for Snow in Havana, Confessions of a Cuban Boy", by Carlos Eire. Fascinating true story of Cuba as Castro takes over, as seen from the view of an 8 year old son of a Judge.

SGB

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
magneto said:
Hurray, P.G. Wodehouse! :eusa_clap
(Quote du jour: "The kind of person who thinks [Thomas Mann] a great writer and Wodehouse not a great writer is precisely the kind of person who would believe that professional credentials are necessary to make such
judgments." --Roger Ebert)

Thumbs up for that quote!

Wodehouse is tremendous. I'm now on to Neil Gaiman's Anansi Boys, with a side order of Kipling's short stories (because Kipling never ceases to fill me with joy thanks to the beauty of his writing).

RadioHead

Familiar Face
Let's see... where am I now?

In the middle of reading "Notes from a small island" by Bill Bryson, and "A year in the merde" by Stephen Clarke. I have several of Bryson's books, each one as good and funny as the last.

"RadioHead"

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
SGB- I've met and talked with Bob Goebel many times. He's a cool guy!

Right now I'm finishing Friedrich Georg's Hitler's Miracle Weapons Vol. 2

SGB

One of the Regulars
Twitch said:
SGB- I've met and talked with Bob Goebel many times. He's a cool guy!

Right now I'm finishing Friedrich Georg's Hitler's Miracle Weapons Vol. 2

That's really great, glad to hear he's a cool guy. All the WWII vets I've met at various reunions, air shows, militaria shows etc have been great guys....the women too.

Have you read "Doorknob Five Two" by Fredric Arnold? Same theater of war, only in P-38's, good writer and artist, amazing DVD he made of a reunion of his old flight school mates too.

SGB

carebear

Just finished the book I mentioned a few days ago

"New World Coming: The 1920's and the Making of Modern America" by Nathan Miller.

Excellent history. It's amazing the parallels and the problems that bedevil us today that came about in the '20s. I can't recommend it more as an overview.

Steve

Practically Family
Currently, I'm reading through The Greek Way, by Edith Hamilton. Very interesting book on the thought patterns and literature of the original West.

Mike in Seattle

Since finishing James Ellroy's The Black Dahlia, and The Real Nick and Nora (a biography of Frances Goodrich and Albert Hackett, the couple who wrote the first three or four Thin Man movies, among other great films), I'm reading Ellroy's The Big Nowhere, plus I've almost finished one book on the William Desmond Taylor unsolved murder in Hollywood of the 20's and have a second one waiting. All great reads. Then there's the business reading and manuals I'm plowing through as well...

SGB

One of the Regulars
Twitch said:
SGB- yes I have an autographed copy from Fred Arnold.:)

Me too, plus the 2 autographed photos and his DVD. Guy is a talented writer and artist.

SGB

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Brooksie said:
I own way to many books... I have two large rubbermaid containers full and an entire shelf and a half filled with books. I think I am addicted to buying books... because when I shop at the thrift stores I always end up in the book isle! My Mom tells me if I keep on buying books - one day I will just end up being trapped in my house and not be able to get out.LOL!! Can't help it just love em....

Brooksie
Kid, you're just getting started! Just wait until the addiction really kicks in! lol

I just finished The Light That Failed by Kipling, one of my favorite authors. I can read anything by Kipling, and just be enthralled from cover to cover.

Currently I'm re-reading The Roald Dahl Omnibus, a collection of Dahl's short stories, just for fun. If you liked his kid's books, e.g. James and the Giant Peach, you'll like his adult fiction, too. You've probably actually seen some of his stuff made into film or shorts and not even known it.

I'm with you, Magneto; two books is a minimum, in case I'm in the mood for one or the other. So I'm also reading The Desert Generals by Correlli Barnett, on the North African Campaign in WWII. Great book and a real insight into all the generals that preceeded Monty in the desert.

One book that I finished a while ago that sticks with me is The Professor and the Madman, by Simon Winchester. It is probably one of the most fascinating books I've read in a long time, on a most unlikely subject: the compiling of the Oxford English Dictionary. I know it sounds horribly boring, but it is really an excellent read. I really can't recommend this book highly enough, especially for those English majors in the crowd.

Girl Friday

Practically Family
Audio Books

Somewhere along the line I became too lazy or A.D.D. to read, so now I listen...I'm a good listener and my commute is about an hour so it works out pretty well. Just finished listening to David Sedaris, Me Talk Pretty One Day and before that The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova.

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
carebear said:
Just finished White Jazz myself.

Ellroy's really evolving his technique isn't he?

Carebear, this is actually the only book of his I've read. (I'll pick up Black Dahlia immediately afterwards to read before the movie) -- His "technique" definitely is something. Took me about 30 pages to grasp it completely.

magneto

Practically Family
Mike in Seattle said:
plus I've almost finished one book on the William Desmond Taylor unsolved murder in Hollywood of the 20's ...

Ah yes! (I am fascinated with this murder, being a big Mabel Normand fan) Have you seen Bruce Long's Taylorology newsletter...~80 issues devoted to all angles of this story? If not, must-read: almost all the issues are available on his website:
http://www.angelfire.com/az/Taylorology/
-magneto (who is half browsing/half admiring the 1946 edition of The Joy of Cooking I bought today for $3)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner