Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Reading

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Nobel Laureate Lessing

Congratulations to Doris Lessing, winner of the 2007 Nobel Prize in Literature.
Her novels The Golden Notebook, To Room Nineteen, and still more recent
The Good Terrorist are arguably the best of her canon.

(Though I personally prefer Eliot.) :)

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
Went to a book sale and got all of the Horatio Hornblower novels for 50 cents a piece. I've just started the first in the series Mr. Midshipman Hornblower. I didn't realize this until last night but the author, CS Forester, also wrote The African Queen.

vonwotan

Practically Family
I absolutely loved the Horatio Hornblower stories growing up! I could not put them down once I picked them up...

I've just started reading The Root of Wild Madder: Chasing the History, Mystery, and Lore of The Persian Carpet by Brian Murphy.

lyburnum

Practically Family
I'm currently half way through Haruki Murakami's 'Norwegian Wood'. I find it very sad. Tomorrow I'll also be reading through Susan Sontag's essay 'On Camp' for my dissertation.

SarahLouise

Practically Family
lyburnum said:
I'm currently half way through Haruki Murakami's 'Norwegian Wood'. I find it very sad. Tomorrow I'll also be reading through Susan Sontag's essay 'On Camp' for my dissertation.

I'm not a fan of Haruki Murakami. I've read 2 of his books (the one you're reading and The Wind Up Bird Chronicle) and was really unimpressed by his writing style, or lack of. It could be because his work is translated but I found his writing too far too simple and extremely dull. I don't quite understand why he is so popular :eusa_doh:

Starius

Practically Family
Here is my current bedside pile of books:

2007octoberbooksow9.jpg

I'm throughly enjoying The Devil in the White City so far. Though, I now wonder if I should move that last book up further since it is so close to Halloween and all...

You can see, however, that I am a fan of the fantasy.

Feraud

Bartender
Currently reading Kon-Tiki by Thor Heyerdahl.
This is the story of six men who set off in 1947 on a balsa wood raft from South America to Polynesia to prove the former group settled the islands.

Decodence

A-List Customer
Caleb Moore said:
I, too, am reading The Chief and about as far in. I picked it up after visiting Hearst Castle this summer. I was totally drawn in and fascinated by the man.
Hopefully your copy is fairing better than mine. Several 70-100 page chunks of the book have broken themselves from the binding, and I have to awkwardly hold them together/in while reading. I think it was the picture sections which caused the issue because it seemed to break at or around them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy