Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Reading

Harp

I'll Lock Up
as I gather other modern interpretations and scholarly works so I can consider the entire spectrum of interpretation.

Publius is a clearly reasoned pragmatist; whom especially under Hamilton's
guise had a far-ranging perspective that traversed constitutional and political themes
with a practised eye and deliberate manner which has been perceived as cruel irrelevance.
A sword pen cuts a razor though, and the American Constitution remains blood-writ brilliance impervious to the inane philosophical penumbra grafitti detractors repeatedly attempt to scrawl across it. For this alone, the Papers serve first recourse.

John Boyer

A-List Customer
Then haste thee to some solitary grove,

John,
a Welsh curmudgeon many have chosen to avoid, but-
bene disserere est finis logices-;so I will follow your example
and read this bio.
--after I stock more whisky and frog. :frog::)
Thomas vaguely reminds me of Schopenhauer....certainly a far
cry from Hopkins in more ways than merely poetic.

Harp,

I would be happy to send you the Thomas bio upon completion. I would also agree, many theological and poetic differences between Hopkins and Thomas. Howbeit, Ms. Weil would most likely find Thomas most endearing.

Regards,
John

Harp

I'll Lock Up
D.Z. Phillips' R.S. Thomas; Poet of the Hidden God
Philosophical and theological implications of Thomas' Deus absconditus concept.

The Generals' War. Michael R. Gordon and Maj Gen Bernard Trainor USMC
Desert Storm and brass sandbag sass.

Indy_Rhodes

New in Town
Just finished reading "White Mughals: Love and Betrayal in Eighteenth-Century India" by William Dalrymple - I know this is an old book, but I have only recently come across it.

I became totally engrossed in this book. It is beautifully written. For me personally it also has many, many parallels with my own life.

Thoroughly recommended.

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
The Sun Also Rises- Ernest Hemingway

I've read this one a few times over the years but this time around I'm noticing a lot more, making this the best experience reading the novel thus far. The book is cynical and black humored, with Jake Barnes eviscerating Robert Cohn straight away. Barnes also tosses insults in the narration to the Georgette character. Sun provides a great lesson in learning how dysfunctional groups can be...

WH1

Practically Family
Piano Demon
The globetrotting, gin-soaked, too-short life of Teddy Weatherfor, the Chicago jazzman who conquered Asia" by Brendan I. Koerner

Excellent book about a 20's-40's piano virtuoso who played with Louis Armstrong among others prior to going to the Far East.

apba1166

A-List Customer
Godforsaken Sea by Lundy, the account of the 1996 Vende race for one-(wo)man sailors going around the globe without porting. Adventurous, wild, inspiring.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy