Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Reading

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
I always more books going than I have time to read.

Right now:

The Four Hour Work Week by Tim Ferriss
Hard Rain by Barry Eisler
American Shaolin by Mattthew Polly

RedPop4

One Too Many
LizzieMaine said:
While I'm waiting for my lunch to cook, I'm reading the 8/31/1933 issue of the New York Daily News.

Among the headlines --

F. D. (Roosevelt) ORDERS NRA-FORD SHOWDOWN

FILM FOLK SCARED BY GANG KILLINGS ORDER MORE GUARDS.

AL WILLIAMS WONT ADMIT SOCKING HUEY (Long)

MACHINE GUN BANDITS KILL COP IN RAID

WALL STREET WOLF HELD ON $2500 BAIL AS RUBBER DEAL SWINDLER

STATE SENATE (of New Jersey) APPROVES BILL FIXING DEATH PENALTY FOR KIDNAPERS

EVANGELIST SHOOTS TWO HOODLUMS DISTURBING TENT REVIVAL

MONTHS OF SLEEPING SICKNESS RECORDS FORTY FIVE DEATHS AND 30 CASES

BLONDE TIGRESS DENIES KILLING

WOMEN PUT VANITY CASES ON BICYCLES

On the editorial page, the Inquiring Photographer asks "Do you think long hair is more attractive on a girl than the conventional bob?" J. E. Feder of Hicksville, Long Island isn't sure -- "That entirely depends on the appearance of the girl considered in the light of composition of features, makeup, and general carriage. Nothing is more attractive than long hair on the proper type of woman. The conventional bob is tiresome."

At the movies, "Gold Diggers of 1933" opens tomorrow for a week's run at Loew's State, boasting 12 stars and 300 girls. At the Roxy, a sneak preview tonight of Slim Summerville and Zasu Pitts in Universal's big laugh riot, "Her First Mate," accompanied by the latest episode in the New Adventures of Tarzan the Fearless, with Buster Crabbe, and Roxy's Miracle Stage Show, headlined by the Eight Singing Siberians. Matinee price, 25 cents, evening top is 55 cents. Kids, 15 cents always.

On sale at Bloomingdales, the big September Sale of China and Glass gets underway with a 32-piece service for 6 in the lovely China Rose pattern for $2.98. At Gimbel's Basement, women's shoes in assorted styles, regularly $3, now just $1.59 a pair. At Hearns, tailored men's shirts, just $1.09, women's silk hose just 49 cents a pair. Back to School savings at Macy's, with 2-piece boy's knicker suits just $7.44, girls' leather jackets, just $5.59. At Ludwig Baumann's, a genuine Philco radio just $15 complete. And at all A&P stores in greater New York, fancy smoked hams, just 16 cents a pound, and cigarettes, all popular brands, just $1.05 a carton.

In sports, the Giants come from behind in the 9th to beat the Cardinals 5-4. The Dodgers split a doubleheader with the Cubs, and the Yankees host the Red Sox this afternoon at the Stadium, as they seek to make up ground against the league-leading Washington Senators.

On the back page, Franklin D. Roosevelt Junior vacations on a bull ranch in Spain by dressing up as a matador and strumming the guitar.

All that for just two cents (in city limits!)
Lizzie,
"verily, there is nothing new under the sun." Maybe the times haven't changed as much as we think they have.

Barry

Practically Family
Clyde Fans (a graphic novel) by Seth

seth06.jpg

(Btw, great lid if you are reading this)

Interview with Seth

Flivver

Practically Family
I'm currently reading "Splendor Sailed The Sound" by Foster & Weiglin, a great book about the Fall River Line steamboats that operated from New England to New York City via Long Island Sound.

For anyone interested in this rather obscure topic, this is by far the best book on the subject, in my opinion.

Bebop

Practically Family
I am reading Blink, by Malcolm Gladwell. An interesting, non fictional look into how we decide about the most curcial aspects of our lives in a blink of a second yet believe we have made a well thought out desision. This book is full of info and double blind studies that I had never contemplated. A nice change from my beloved Bukowski and Brautigan novels that have kept me up at night.

Feraud

Bartender
I found a perfect condition 1959 printing of The List of Adrian Messenger.
The '63 film was directed by John Huston and has a cool cast in cameo/heavily made up appearances.

Parallel Guy

One of the Regulars
Bebop said:
I am reading Blink, by Malcolm Gladwell. An interesting, non fictional look into how we decide about the most curcial aspects of our lives in a blink of a second yet believe we have made a well thought out desision. This book is full of info and double blind studies that I had never contemplated. A nice change from my beloved Bukowski and Brautigan novels that have kept me up at night.

Great book. His first book Tipping Point was also a thought-provoking read. It's so rare to have a writer who is readable tackle a sociological theory backed by scientific research. The guy who wrote Freakonomics is another Gladwell type. Wish there were more.

Lesvinyl

Familiar Face
I'm reading Wuthering Heights, as the version I read when I was 7 was a graphic novel, and a bad one at that. I've been inspired by my love of Kate Bush to read it.;)

Sunny

One Too Many
I finished the Nero Wolfe/Rex Stout books, and have moved on to Michael Shayne/Brett Halliday.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24