Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Reading

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
thebadmamajama said:
Someone just recommended a book (I'll have to dig for the title) about how redheads are an alien race. I *might* have to see what that's all about...

I, for one, welcome our new titian overlords. :D

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Just started reading Nelson DeMille's Wild Fire. So far, it is pretty good, a political intrigue thriller.

A couple of years ago, I read his book Up Country, about a veteran's return to Vietnam (on a secret mission to find someone) and thought the book was a pretty good read.

His main male characters are smart-a**es, funny and tough. I like that.

karol

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Barry said:
Clyde Fans (a graphic novel) by Seth

seth06.jpg

(Btw, great lid if you are reading this)

Interview with Seth

a3e5660c3015e6.jpg

I absolutely loved It's a Good Life If You Don't Weaken, but the Clyde Fans narrative just hasn't gelled for me. He still isn't finished with it and perhaps he never will.

The Vernacular Drawings is a lot of fun and well packaged.

JazzBaby

Practically Family
Currently reading a very interesting book about courtesans in France in the 19th century. What's most fascinating is that most of them weren't even French, and very few of them are described as being attractive (one of them, who ended up becoming the richest, was even described as 'hideous').

Devo

New in Town
I am currently reading 'The River of Doubt.'
It is about Teddy Roosevelt after he lost his third-party bid for the presidency against Taft and Wilson.

TR, always the adventurer, went on a scientific excursion into South America to navigate the River of Doubt.
That expidition was the first 'civilized' group to travel that deep into the Amazon rainforest and come out alive (well, most of them came out alive).

I love TR and presidential biographies.
I'm trying to read a biography about all of the presidents.

carebear

Devo said:
It is about Teddy Roosevelt after he lost his third-party bid for the presidency against Taft and Wilson.

TR, always the adventurer, went on a scientific excursion into South America to navigate the River of Doubt.
That expidition was the first 'civilized' group to travel that deep into the Amazon rainforest and come out alive (well, most of them came out alive).

Excellent book. Really illustrates the dangers of poor planning.

carebear

Reread Stephen Hunter's Bob Lee Swagger books.

"Point of Impact" (basis for the recent movie "Shooter" but much better), "Black Light" and "Time to Hunt".

Getting ready to put in some time on the rifle and sniper stories inspire me.

Also L. Neil Smith's "The Probablility Broach" to fill in a hole in my libertarian sci-fi list.

Parallel Guy

One of the Regulars
Devo said:

I've been working my way through the presidents as well. If you find anything decent on Hoover let me know. Franklin Pierce and John Tyler are really tough gets, too.

SarahLouise

Practically Family
I am currently finishing off Amaryllis Night and Day by Russell Hoban and will start The Call of Cthulhu And Other Weird Stories by H.P Lovecraft afterwards.

Devo

New in Town
carebear said:
Excellent book. Really illustrates the dangers of poor planning.

I am shocked at how little forethought went into the trip and really surprised TR would be involved with something so fumbled.

Devo

New in Town
Parallel Guy said:
I've been working my way through the presidents as well. If you find anything decent on Hoover let me know. Franklin Pierce and John Tyler are really tough gets, too.

I think there's a new Hoover book out, but I'll double check for you.

I am finding it hard to find decent biographies on the group of presidents between Andrew Jackson to Lincoln.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot