Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Reading

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
I (finally!) just finished Rebecca.

I want to start Atonement but I can't find a copy thanks probably to other like-minded moviegoers.

I may start A Wrinkle in Time instead. I've never read it and I have a friend who's nudging me.

Ada Veen

Practically Family
"States of knowledge: The coproduction of science and the social order" by Sheila Jasanoff. Not by choice, for an assignment. Which I have now finished (throws offending book on floor and jumps up and down on it)

Gary Crumrine

One of the Regulars
Just finished In Praise of Prejudice by Theodore Darlrymple and started Basic Economics: A Common Sense Guide to the Economy by Thomas Sowell.

It was the first Darlrymple book I've read and won't be the last. Sowell is always a treat.

Corto

A-List Customer
I also read about a dozen books at once, but two in particular have really pulled me in.

I'm in the middle of both Antoine de St. Exupery's "Flight to Arras" about an air-reconnaissance mission he flew at the outset of the German occupation of France, and Joseph Kessel's "Army of Shadows" about the French Resistance. (I'm going through a Francophile phase right now.)

I just saw the movie ("Army of Shadows") and thought it was absolutely BRILLIANT. (And I mean those all-caps). You can Netflix it. 5 stars from me, and I don't dole them out easily.

Also reading Niall Ferguson's "War of the World", a revisionist history of the roots of WWII. It's complicated, very dense and occasionally tough sledding, but interesting.

Caleb Moore

Familiar Face
Doran said:
Do tell us what you think. I liked Stonemason, All the Pretty Horses, and Blood Meridian better.

I just finished "The Road" on the train this evening. If I had one problem with it it's that it was TOO upbeat, silly, joyous....

...seriously, though... I found it a tad repetitive, which may have been intentional. However, I found myself surprised that I was emotionally invested right at the end. An interesting book. I haven't read any of his other work yet, but I probably will.

Luigi Vampa

New in Town
I'm reading War and Peace right now. I'm at page 700 right now and I think I finally have all the characters' names straight. Only 686 pages to go . . .

Ada Veen

Practically Family
Luigi Vampa said:
I'm reading War and Peace right now. I'm at page 700 right now and I think I finally have all the characters' names straight. Only 686 pages to go . . .

best book ever! I know what you mean, it's really annoying how they all have about sixteen different names. I want to marry Andrew Bolkonsky.

hepkitten

One of the Regulars
Luigi Vampa said:

I ended up reading the first 100 pages six times. After that, I had all the names down and it was smooth sailing. lol

Trixie

One of the Regulars
Luigi Vampa said:

Wow, that’s excellent. I couldn’t get past the pages with the family trees before I was completely confused and put the book down.

I’m reading QUEEN OF THIS REALM by Jean Plaidy. Anything to do with Henry VIII or his family I cant put down.

Luigi Vampa

New in Town
Ada Veen said:
best book ever! I know what you mean, it's really annoying how they all have about sixteen different names. I want to marry Andrew Bolkonsky.

It seems like the Russians call each other by their first and middle names. At least that's what it looks like to me. And Bolkonsky is a good man. It would be nice to hang out with him, provided that I didn't have to meet his dad. :p

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Marlowe said:
I am struggling through Joyces' Ulysses

I tried and failed. My dad tried yearly for a decade and he is no slouch --he knows Shakespeare and Dickens backwards and forwards and has read all of Aristotle (!), Plato, Thucydides, Herodotus, and the tragedians. I tried Portrait of an Artist, too. Couldn't get past the moo-cow. What the devil was he talking about? Well, Dubliners was great.

Business: Kuhnhausen, The U.S. M1911/M1911A1 Pistols and Commercial M1911-type Pistols: A Shop Manual.
Favor to another Lounger: Ludlum, The Bourne Identity.
Personal: Simon Travaglia's BOFH columns from the last seven years of The Register. Offcolor and technical, but hilarious--especially when he's giving the Boss what we all wish we could...

Marty M.

Vendor
A special book.

This is an autobiography of actor Adolph Menjou. He's one of my sartorial hero's. It was published in 1948. This is a 1948 version that he actually signed and wrote a note to an old high school friend.
Marty Mathis

IMG_4511.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_4510.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_4509.jpg
[/IMG]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo