Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Reading

Patrick Murtha

Practically Family
AlanC said:
Yes, it's very good. I recently came across both it and The Thin Man while thrifting (at different times). I've enjoyed both a lot, and likely will end up getting the rest of Hammett, too.

You can't go wrong with any of Hammett. Red Harvest is a particular favorite of mine, but they're all good.

mrswheats

One of the Regulars
The Watchmen; my husband's raved about it for years, and with the movie coming up next year, I wanted to read the graphic novel first.

I'm also re-reading World War Z and the Zombie Survival Guide.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
The book that goes along with the exhibit of Cecilia Beaux's work. I really must get to Philly to see the exhibit in person--her portraits are lovely.

alexandra

Practically Family
I'm re-reading Ulysses with a friend of mine. It's been a long time since I've read this book and I'd forgotten how much I despise the lack of quotation marks.

Patrick Murtha

Practically Family
alexandra said:
I'm re-reading Ulysses with a friend of mine. It's been a long time since I've read this book and I'd forgotten how much I despise the lack of quotation marks.

Whatever you do, don't read William Gaddis's monumental JR. Not only are there no quotation marks, but the speakers are never identified (throughout a 750 page novel). :)

alexandra

Practically Family
Haha. It's funny, whenever I've mentioned how much I dislike the lack of punctuation, someone says "Well don't read [book name]" but no one has said the same book twice. I now have a grand list of books never to read.

I will just pretend to be learned and well read instead. It will save time and frustration in any case!

Mary

Practically Family
I mostly read comics because I like them and because I can read so many so fast!

The watchmen is a great book. hope you think so too, swingtimegal!

I'd love to get and give tips on comics but maybe there's a tread for that to somewhere.

Anyway. I'm reading Elfriede Jelinek's Die Klavierspielerin/the piano player right now. At first it was hard to get into but now I really like it. I like their minds.

Right now I'm trying to learn more about people who are very stict to themselves. Have read some books about people with strict religions and i find it fascinating. I want to understand those people who want to obey and don't expect any thanks. I don't know anyone like that who want the sacrifice and suffering.

Maybe you think that this has nothing to do with the golden era but at least some people back then were very strict. I don't want it to be forgotten. And in a way I want to get to know my granny and her upbringing.

And I do understand if you can't understand a thing of me trying to explain myself in English.

M

hepkitten

One of the Regulars
invention13 said:
war and peace - it has been sitting in my garage bookshelf for years, and I spend 3+ hrs/day on the train commuting....

Actually pretty engrossing once I got into it.

I owned War and Peace for years before I read it. I read the first 100 pages six times and gave up five...by the sixth try, I finally had all the characters and the eighteen variations of their names figured out, and it was smooth sailing from there! :) It's one of my "desert island" books, it's so damn good.

Currently I'm reading Good Omens, by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett. What an irreverent, funny book--I'm wondering how I missed it all these years.

Just finished The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian, by Sherman Alexie. Also funny but poignant as well--richly deserving of its National Book Award.

Patrick Murtha

Practically Family
Mary said:
I mostly read comics because I like them and because I can read so many so fast!

The watchmen is a great book. hope you think so too, swingtimegal!

I'd love to get and give tips on comics but maybe there's a tread for that to somewhere.

Anyway. I'm reading Elfriede Jelinek's Die Klavierspielerin/the piano player right now. At first it was hard to get into but now I really like it. I like their minds.

Right now I'm trying to learn more about people who are very stict to themselves. Have read some books about people with strict religions and i find it fascinating. I want to understand those people who want to obey and don't expect any thanks. I don't know anyone like that who want the sacrifice and suffering.

Maybe you think that this has nothing to do with the golden era but at least some people back then were very strict. I don't want it to be forgotten. And in a way I want to get to know my granny and her upbringing.

And I do understand if you can't understand a thing of me trying to explain myself in English.

M

Your English reads just fine. :)

I think comics and graphic literature are perfectly good in this thread. They are certainly reading material, and the best of them are terrific.

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
Patrick Murtha said:
Your English reads just fine. :)

I think comics and graphic literature are perfectly good in this thread. They are certainly reading material, and the best of them are terrific.

i finished off the 'V For Vendetta' graphic comic series not too long ago...not the novel but the actual comic books...great series...intense...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner