Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Reading

arthur

Suspended
A 1942 print of See here ,Private Hargrove.A factual and humourous account of life in the military.It's got a message on the back about buying war bonds.
A message from the author,The purchase of War Bonds is similar only to the march of medical science in that it's goal is eventually to make itself unnecessary.
This is a war in which,for the first time,the forces of world progress and individual liberty are pitted against barbarism and retrogression in the most desperate battle of all history.It is the deciding stuggle.
Every nickel spent in the purchase of War Bonds is a new rearmament for democracy and the dignity of man.
BUY WAR STAMPS AND BONDS
pretty cool huh where do I sign up.I know it's been said before but the unity of spirit and purpose in the country at that time will always amaze me.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
carebear said:
Read Wills "Why I am a Catholic".

While wandering De Paul University's bookstore this week for
Gustave Thibon"s Simone Weil compilation, Gravity and Grace,
I came across Wills' Why I Am A Catholic and per your suggest
grabbed it. (Also took home Viking Press' The Portable Harlem
Renaissance Reader,
ed. David L. Lewis---a treasure trove of essays,
poetry and story.) I had made acquaintance with Prof Wills at Northwestern
many moons ago and had some differences with his Petrine perspective.
However, I found WIAAC most enjoyable; especially his discovery of
Chesterton while in seminary. :)

John Boyer

A-List Customer
Poems*Poets*Poetry

Poems*Poets*Poetry by Helen Vendler. One of my new favorite authors.

Preparing to read a newly purchased 'used copy' of Simone Weil Formative Writings 1929-1941 as recommended by Harp.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
I'm re-reading "Night Dogs" by Kent Anderson. It is the follow up to "Sympathy For The Devil". A great lead character, strong story about the life of a Viet Nam vet as a policeman in Portland, OR. Both books are worth a look.

LuketheLurker

Familiar Face
My latest read I am going through is a little volume I picked up at an antique store for 10 dollars a while ago. A 1936 edition of “Now and after : The ABC of Communist Anarchism”. By Alexander Berkman. While I don’t subscribe to anarchy I must say it is has been an interesting read so far. My next selection is “ The Boys of Lazy Y” By Charles A. Seltzer. A cowboy novel from 1915. It looks fun! I like old cowboy stuff can’t wait to get to it.

freebird

Practically Family
Reading several at the moment. "Public Enemy Number One" a biography of Floyd Hamilton who's brother Ray ran with Bonnie and Clyde; "You Can Run But You Can't Hide" by Dog the Bounty Hunter and "Why Courage Matters" by John McCain.

I'm not reading on this one yet but did pick up a 4th today, "The Innocent Man" by John Grisham, a true crime novel, which I purchased because it happened in a small Oklahoma town.

RitaHayworth

One of the Regulars
sixsexsix said:
....still reading gone with the wind. does it ever end?!

No! Which is why I have never made it right through yet!!

Im currently reading Elizabeth: The Struggle for the Throne by David Starkey. Im in a Tudor world at the moment!

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
I'm reading Reading Like a Writer: A Guide for People Who Love Books and for Those Who Want to Write Them.

I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

Burnsie

The Worst Hard Time - it's about the Dust Bowl and the people who lived through it...it's absolutely fantastic, I can't recommend it highly enough!!!

Maguire

Practically Family
Let's see- i finished Thus Spake Zarathustra which despite having some great quotes and interesting ideas convinced me that Nieztche should have been institutionalized as soon as he put pen to paper.

then i read an interesting treatise on alchemy and the symbols of alchemy called The Hermetic Tradition by Julius Evola, a reknown esotericist from italy.

Now i'm on a biography of Hannibal.

Slate Shannon

One of the Regulars
I've started reading a couple of series-type novels by two lady writers.

I'm almost finished with the first of the Jade Del Cameron series, entitled The Mark of The Lion by Suzanne Arruda, which is set in post World War I East Africa.

And I recently finished the first of the Amelia Peabody series, entitled Crocodile On the Sandbank by Elizabeth Peters, which concerns a lady Egyptologist. The series spans the late 19th Century thru the early 20th Century.

I've enjoyed both of them and will continue thru the other books in the series.

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
Burnsie said:
The Worst Hard Time - it's about the Dust Bowl and the people who lived through it...it's absolutely fantastic, I can't recommend it highly enough!!!
That sounds very interesting. I will definatley check that out.

I want to find a well written and compelling bio on Semmelwies. Can anyone recommend one.
I will probably start Peter Ibbetson soon.

SwingDag

New in Town
I'm flipping through something a little lighter for once, Vintage Singapore: Souvenirs from the Recent Past: http://www.selectbooks.com.sg/getTitle.cfm?SBNum=40464

Lots of great pictures of women in traditional dress (cheongsams, sarong kebayas, saris etc.) with huuuge beehives, getting down with the twist! And of course a substantial section on 1950s fashion and accessories.

I get quite frustrated trying to find resources on vintage and retro culture in Asia and just wish there was more around. MAybe I'm not looking hard enough. It's always interesting to see how western influences were interpreted and appropriated, e.g. vocal line-ups imitating doo-wop quartets and quintets, looking all Platters-like, but singing in Chinese dialects, or Malay, Hindi etc.

Maybe I'm just seeking a chance to identify with my parents and their carefree days!

sfend002

Familiar Face
"The Culture of Control" by David Garland.

Its about crime and social order in contemporary society. If you ever wondered why the system does what it does this is the book for you. It is a great history of social influences that have made policy in the last 100 years. And why we are where we are today.

John Boyer

A-List Customer
moustache said:
A biography on Robert Frost.

Jim
Vancouver,Wa

Moustache,
Robert Frost is an excellent topic for study. May I ask the title and author of this biography? I am particularly fond of the poets and their life story; having read a two volumn biography on Alexander Pope a few months ago.
John

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner