Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Reading

classyguy

Familiar Face
Scuffy said:
classyguy- Good show sir! I love Hemingway dearly. Just started re-reading Garden of Eden the other day. It was actually the first Hemingway novel I had the pleasure of reading. From then on I collected and read everything else I could find by or about him. Have ya read any of his other works??

To date I have read only two other books by Hemingway: The Sun Also Rises, which is one of my favourite books, and The Old Man and the Sea. Both are very good and quick reads.

As soon as im finished with Arms im going to try and find the Rock Hudson movie...heard it was the best adaptation of it.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Two of the Missing by Perry Dean Young (1975). I read this book in the 70's and just found an original hardcover with the dust jacket. The subject is his memories of some friends who were combat photographers and/or correspondents in Vietnam. Two of them were Dana Stone and Sean Flynn who both disappeared near the Cambodian Border.

D

DeaconKC

Finally finished and sad.....

...a series called the New Jedi Order, a Star Wars run of 20 books taking place 25 years after the movies. Most were Very good, lots of fun and tragedy with the characters and their kids even. Saw some favorite characters die and change. If you like well written sci-fi, a very well done series, written by several NY Times best selling authors.

Miles Borocky

Familiar Face
lots, always--

I have to read lots for work, but right now:

INFINITE JEST by David Foster Wallace (which I started well before last weekend's tragic news)
CANE by Jean Toomer (for a course I'm teaching on the Harlem Renaissance)
WATCHMEN by Alan Moore (getting in touch with my inner, long-neglected comic book lover)

...plus magazines, emails, TFL posts, and the occasional Sherlock Holmes story (to indulge my pipe-smoking love through letters). I want to get back to Raymond Chandler when the semester lets up a bit.

The Lonely Navigator

Practically Family
...not much at the moment - not even the side of the cracker box...:eek:

I had just ordered some more books as I don't have much at the moment. The one I will most likely read first is "The Great Days of the Cape Horners"...it's a toss up between that and "Last Time Around the Horn" (which is about the 1949 voyage of the Pamir around Cape Horn).

Prien:eek:

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
I've been enjoying a great vintage fashion book:
Vintage Fashion; Collecting and Wearing Designer Classics, 1900-1990.

It has information on designers, trends, types of fabric, and details used. There is even a picture of fabric from a 1930s Queen Mary souvenir blouse!

Harp

I'll Lock Up
John Boyer said:
"Simeon Weil and the Intellect of Grace" by Henry Finch

Currently reading her L'Iliade; though she strays from the Greek,
and her perspective somewhat mercurial, Simeon remains a riddle. :)
Also elusive, Rachel Bespaloff whose own De l'Iliade essay offers
a certain contrast and texture with Weil.

Sunny

One Too Many
The Donald Lam / Bertha Cool detective series by Erle Stanley Gardner, writing under the name A. A. Fair. Gardner is best-known for writing all the Perry Mason books. I really love the Lam/Cool books, though. Lam is such a non-stereotypical detective. "He's a pint-sized parcel of dynamite with the nerve of a prize fighter and a punch that wouldn't jar a fly loose from a syrup jug--but he's always trying." And Bertha Cool? With "the majesty of a snowcapped mountain, the assurance of a steamroller," she'll never see forty again, weighs 200+ pounds (later about 165), keeps an eagle eye on agency money, has a vividly blue-tinted vocabulary, and never turns down good food. She's a peach.

It's a great series so far.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Just read "The Plague" by Camus. Didn't love the translation. Gonna get it in the original French.

Readinf "When you are Engulfed in Flames" by David Sedaris. Not sure I like his "voice." It reminds me too much of me. lol

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
Just read "The Plague" by Camus. Didn't love the translation. Gonna get it in the original French.

Definitely read it in French. The language is simple too, so it's still easy if you've let your French rot away unused for 10 years.

I also highly recommend Camus' "Exile and the Kingdom", which is a great collection of short stories.

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
After 5 years I finally finished "The Magnifecent Ambersons. I am so proud of my self and I really enjoyed it also. I have been trying to read Peter Ibbetson also but I think I'll put it down and start again latter.

Smuterella

One Too Many
I have just read the most marvellous book, rose Tremain - The road home.

Absolutely beautiful and very, very real. I love Tremain.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
WH1 said:
Picked up a copy of "Round up the usual suspects, the making of Casablanca-Bogart, Bergman, and World War II" by Aljena Harmetz. I found it at the local flea market today. Just starting it. Anybody read it yet?

Started, between watching Notre Dame, Bears, and the Cubs this week...:eek:
Harmetz also wrote a similar behind-the-scenes about another favorite,
The Wizard of Oz, which is next.

(The commie belt buckle is still available ;) )

SnackPacKid

New in Town
Currently reading "Riddles in Mathematics" by Eugene P. Northrop. It's particularly interesting to see the different logic, learning, and understanding from "back then", and what areas we've made progress in. The book was originally written in 1944, the copy I have was a reprint in '64 with some revisions made in '61.
It wasn't for sale in the US due to copyright reasons, I almost feel like an outlaw for owning it :D

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Just finished a rereading of "The New York Graphic: The World's Zaniest Newspaper," by Lester Cohen -- a 1964 memoir of the New York Evening Graphic, an outrageous tabloid founded in 1924 by health cultist/would-be-presidential-candidate/True Story Magazine publisher Bernarr Macfadden. The Graphic's front page gave New York straphangers the "composograph", Peaches and Daddy Browning, and Rudolph Valentino meeting Caruso in the hereafter -- but over its eight-year life it also gave more discerning readers Ed Sullivan, Walter Winchell, and Fulton Oursler. One of the strangest, most entertaining stories in the annals of the American popular press, and well worth a look to anyone interested in '20's mass culture.

Dr Doran

Haven't seen this thread in a while.

Despotism and Differential Reproduction by Laura Betzig. A sociobiological look at human history. 1986.

carebear

"The Day of Battle: The War in Sicily and Italy, 1943 - 1944"

Rick Atkinson's followup to "An Army at Dawn" about the US Army's evolution during WWII.

Sunny

One Too Many
Lots of early Saint books. A great way to take a break from studying for my tax accounting test. :eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo