Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Reading

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
I recently found the entire 1934 Volume of National Geographic that I'm working through.

100_4565.jpg

Corto

A-List Customer
South to Java

I'm currently reading "South to Java" by William P. Mack and William P. Mack Jr (not to be confused with Alistar MacLean's "South to Java Head" or the horrible movie "Krakatoa, East of Java".)

Mack Sr. and Mack Jr. are no Herman Wouk(s) and they lack the eloquence of Marcus Goodrich (his "Delilah" is one of the finest pieces of naval literature ever). Having said that, "South to Java" is a very good, meat-and-potatoes WWII Navy novel. I'm riveted.

Grant Fan

Practically Family
I am reading four right now all are about the holocaust in some way shape or form except one. I really want to get a PhD in Holocaust Studies. Anyway I am reading the Diary of Anne Frank (again) The Sunflower by: Simon Wiesenthal, a Holocaust survivor who was asked while he was in a camp by a dieing SS to grant him forgiveness. Then I just started The Bielski Brothers by: Peter Duffy, it is about three Jewish brothers that created a camp in the woods in Belorussia and saved 1200 other Jews. An then I am off and on with attempting to read Hitlers Mien Kampf but it gets annoying. The way I see it is that I need to learn how he thought if I am going to study the Holocaust.

Lancealot

Practically Family
TheDutchess said:
I've decided I would work my way through the Sookie Stackhouse Novels. The HBO show True Blood is based on these set of novels. I'm Still on the first book Dead Until Dark and so far its fabulous and oh so sexy.

I have thought about starting those. I really have enjoyed the HBO show.

I currently am working my way through the Twilight series. I just finished New Moon and I am waiting on Eclipse and Breaking Dawn to arrive.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
PADDY said:
Million Dollar Mermaid. Autobiography of Esther Williams.

I was working at BarnesandNoble.com when that came otu, and I got to interview Ms. Williams. (I also served her a hamburger a few years earlier, back in my food service days.)

She's quite the character.

I just finished THE AGE OF DREAMING by Nina Revoyr, a novel about a Japanese silent film star with a dark secret.

It was good, but not as good as I'd hoped.

Next up, Blake Bailey's John Cheever bio.

Alex Oviatt

Practically Family
The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón. Run, do not walk, to get and read this book. By the way, the Cheever bio is great. I also recently enjoyed reading "The King of Vodka" about the life of Piotr Smirnov.

DavidVillaJr

One of the Regulars
RC said:
No vacation is possible this year, sadly, but vintage armchair travel does in a pinch. ;)

Even contemporary armchair travel does quite nicely.

Currently travelling through Africa with Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman in "Long Way Down".

Very entertaining and engaging. Two blokes plus a third on motorcycles and a couple of support vehicles heading from the most northern point in the UK to South Africa.

Highly recommended.

dv

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Grant Fan said:
I am reading four right now all are about the holocaust in some way shape or form except one. I really want to get a PhD in Holocaust Studies. Anyway I am reading the Diary of Anne Frank (again... then I am off and on with attempting to read Hitlers Mien Kampf but it gets annoying. The way I see it is that I need to learn how he thought if I am going to study the Holocaust.

Viktor Frankl's Man's Search For Meaning is a remarkable work.

Tried Kampf in college, had planned a paper on Hitler's rise, but a prof
warned me that Kampf had limited academic research value and he was correct.
I found a US Army psychological study of AH; circa 1940-41 more helpful.

Dewhurst

Practically Family
For some odd reason I have taken an interest in Stephen Kings

Dark Tower

series lately. I'm flabbergasted as to why.[huh]

Lamplight

One of the Regulars
I"m currently reading about the adventures of Sherlock Holmes. The collection is 970 pages long, so this should last me a while. :D Really enjoying it so far.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy