Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Reading

The Lonely Navigator

Practically Family
Two books I managed to get through inter-library loan:

Art Nouvau 1890-1914

German Print Advertising 1933-45

I read some parts of a book, not long ago, called: The Sway of the Grand Saloon - the social history of the north atlantic

and

a big Art Deco book.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
"Finding a 1949 American addition of my favourite book, gives me an excuse to read it again!"

3997745210_8b0eeb376d.jpg

Jennifer Lynn

One of the Regulars
I might need to pick up that "Making of Casablanca" book. I have the movie on tape (need to upgrade that), and it included a "making of" piece.

I need to find more new books to read, as I've finished a few fiction ones recently that are the latest in their series. I have to wait a while for more installments of The Dresden Files and Sookie Stackhouse series, but for now will be aiming for noir, gumshoe type fiction, which I'm sure I can find.

vonwotan

Practically Family
Just finished reading Dan Brown's latest and Brideshead Revisted by Evelyn Waugh and started on The Loved One. Unfortunately I find that I have a lot of time on my hands. Been stuck in MGH since 9-29 and it looks like I'll be here another five days or so...

Feraud

Bartender
Jennifer Lynn said:
I might need to pick up that "Making of Casablanca" book. I have the movie on tape (need to upgrade that), and it included a "making of" piece.

I recommend the book. While I am only 60 pages in, the author is doing a nice job of presenting the story of the making of Casablanca in the context of early U.S. involvement in WWII, the studio system, and the efforts that go into making a film.

Jennifer Lynn

One of the Regulars
Sounds interesting, and a little more information than what the "extras" tied to the movie (on dvd/tape) cover. I'll look into getting it. Thanks Feraud! ;)

guellimus

New in Town
I read all the works of Raymond Chandler till the pages fell out back in high school. I was in New York for the summer and stumbled on a great shop in Greenwich Village called Partners & Crime. You just tell the guy who you like to read, and he'll go throughout the shop pulling books of similar authors out.

I've gotten into James Ellroy and have gone through The Black Dahlia and The Big Nowhere. Now I'm working on LA Confidential. It's way different than the movie and it's really good.

On a non-mystery related note, over the summer I read a couple books on the history of the Knights Templar in The Holy Land and Ethiopia, really interesting stuff!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Browsing thru "Hello Everybody -- The Dawn of American Radio," by Anthony Rudel. This came out last year, but I'm only now getting around to reading it. So far I think he does an excellent job -- he correctly identifies Correll and Gosden and Rudy Vallee as the most important and influential figures to come out of radio's formative era, and he avoids getting bogged down in a mess of irritating academic doublespeak. A fine introduction to the formative years of broadcasting, and I'd say this even if he didn't cite me as a source.

Sarge

One of the Regulars
I am about half way through "Armageddon: The Battle For Germany, 1944-1945" by Max Hastings. It is a really good book but over the years that's what I have to come to expect from Mr. Hastings.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner