Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Reading

Slate Shannon

One of the Regulars
I've finishied The Descent by Jeff Long (pretty good, but the ending seemed a bit rushed) and The Doomsday Key by James Rollins (I'm a big Rollins fan).
Now I've started Mythago Wood by Robert Holdstock. Although I've barely started it, I have a feeling that I'm going to like it immensely. We'll see how it holds up.

Cricket

Practically Family
I recently finished up The Killer Inside Me by Jim Thompson. Loved it! Was hooked from beginning to end. I highly recommend this read to anyone, especially those interested in crime stories.

I also checked out The Strange History of Bonnie and Clyde. Already got through the first two chapters and am already hooked. So far, interesting look into the other side of the duo.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
JennyLou said:
Im about to take a creative writing memoir class so I thought I would read a memoir next. I choose The War: A Memoir by Margurite Duras

Marguerite casts a spell woven by precocious innocence amidst history and inflicts a mortal wound to the heart. :cry:
:) :) :)

jaymag_87

New in Town
I'm curious...

jamespowers said:
If only he would take his own advice. ;) :p

What do you mean?

I recently finished his book "Style and the Man" and found it interesting, snooty, snobbish and actually fun to read. "If I had the money..." the things I would do. However, I don't have the cash. I figure I can take some general guidance from the books and make myself look a lot better than I do. Besides, I figured it would be fun. lol

WH1

Practically Family
Moe Berg: Athlete, Scholar, Spy by Barbara Fitzgerald, Louis Kaufman, and Tom Sewell

Fascinating biography of Moe Berg. He was a Princeton graduate, a Columbia Law School graduate, student/speaker of many, many languages, a catcher for the Chicago White Sox and the Boston Red Sox for over a decade and one of the OSS's top atomic spys during WW2. A very complex and interesting character. I grabbed this one by chance and am very glad I did. I had never heard of him before but I am going to do some additional reading on him. He is a truly fascinating individual.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
WH1 said:
Moe Berg: Athlete, Scholar, Spy by Barbara Fitzgerald, Louis Kaufman, and Tom Sewell

Fascinating biography of Moe Berg. ... a catcher for the Chicago White Sox

Todd:

Meant to read this but never did. A Chicago homicide detective once
remarked that Berg fell victim to a robber-for failing to surrender a book. ???

Stay low to ground midget. ;)

WH1

Practically Family
Harp said:
Todd:

Meant to read this but never did. A Chicago homicide detective once
remarked that Berg fell victim to a robber-for failing to surrender a book. ???

Stay low to ground midget. ;)

It was a month or so before he died, he fought a mugger to defend a rare medieval french book he had just purchased. He was truly a unique individual, would have been an amazing person to spend some time with. He did a baseball tour of Japan in 1934 during which he spent time shooting film of sites in Japan which was later used during the planning of Doolittle's raid.

Diggin' holes with the buttons man. Thanks

Celia Crowson

Familiar Face
LordBest said:
The Phryne Fisher Mysteries.
A delightful series of detective stories set in 1920s Melbourne. The heroine is a flapper, its all rather good.

I too think the Phryne Fisher Mysteries are delightful - I have forgotten how many times I have re-read the whole series!

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I recently finished "You Can't Go Home Again" by Thomas Wolfe and have just started "Look Homeward, Angel" (also by Wolfe). I thoroughly enjoyed "You Can't Go Home Again". Wolfe was a local author who was born and raised in Asheville, NC (about 40 miles west of where I live). In his time, Wolfe was not held in too high esteem in Asheville, as his writing tended to use local individuals and circumstances as the basis for his novels. It is interesting to read his books and visualize the places he is writing about, as many of the landmarks (and memory of some of the occurrences) still exist.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy