Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What causes this shape above hat band?

tracyam

One of the Regulars
Hello,
This past spring I bought a Stetson Forty-Seven. For the most part I like the hat. It's not great. It's not as nice as my Akubra Capricorn. It's in dire need of a leather sweat band instead of the cloth one that it came with. However, my question is about the weird shape of the crown just above the hat band. It almost looks as if the hat band is too tight and is squeezing the crown, but it's not really that tight. Is there something causing this or is this just how they are made? Can this be remedied.

20151102_200610.jpg

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Hello,
This past spring I bought a Stetson Forty-Seven. For the most part I like the hat. It's not great. It's not as nice as my Akubra Capricorn. It's in dire need of a leather sweat band instead of the cloth one that it came with. However, my question is about the weird shape of the crown just above the hat band. It almost looks as if the hat band is too tight and is squeezing the crown, but it's not really that tight. Is there something causing this or is this just how they are made? Can this be remedied.

20151102_200610.jpg
My Akubra Camp Draft does it also...

tracyam

One of the Regulars
I have nothing more than a guess: Perhaps it has been soaked (sweat or rain or whatever) and it's caused the fibers to swell and the band has constricted it?

That makes sense somehow. I'm shipping it off to have a leather sweat band put it soon...maybe there is something they can do for it.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
My guess;
1. The hat body was blocked for a larger size than the sweatband put into it, and that's puled it inward.
2. The crown is supposed to be higher, but the straw is too soft, so it's kind of like the crown is slouching under it's own weight. Or did so before being shellacked.

tracyam

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the replies. I'll add reblocking to the list when I send it out to get a leather sweatband. All of the explanations seem plausible to me. I would like to prevent it from happening again. I'm not sure if it's a Stetson Forty Seven thing or maybe mine is just a lemon. I was a little disappointed that it didn't come with a leather sweatband after I purchased it online. Again, thanks for the input.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy