Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What decade most flatters your figure?

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
I'm a forties figure for vintage; full bust, small flat hips and a flat stomach, with a curvy bottom. My measurements are b 40, w 28 1/2, h 37. My dd (age 17) has a tallish lithe figure, she looks good in thirties vintage.

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
I suit the New Look shape with nipped in waist and full skirts, as I'm a proper pear shape (42-34-48 - currently trying to lose weight!). I also wear 40s A-line skirts, but I really love pencil skirts and dresses and would love love love to wear them. I've never dared to, but recently I've been secretly wondering if with a girdle I may get away with it... even if I'll look super curvy? I am curvy on top as well so I balance out just a little (34E bra). hmm...what do you ladies think, are pencil shapes just a no-no for pear shapes?

You can probably get away with it if the fit is perfect. I had a custome pencil dress made for me and I am very pair shaped (still not brave enough to post my measurements though). I also think slim tulip skirt looks good.

Isis

One of the Regulars
40's and 50's for me. I love 30's fashion but with my curvy hourglass-shape, it doesn't suit me.

W-D Forties

Practically Family
I used to be a very defined hourglass, not so much since I had two kids, so fitted 40's to very early 50's fits me best. Although I do like the 50's at 5ft 2 with big hips, more of a pear these days, full circle skirts swamp me.

Bias cut 30's dresses, although beautiful, make me look huuuuge!

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
I prefer 40s and 50s fashions but I am not hour glass figure more of a Y carry all my extra weight on top I think my figure is better suited for 30s styles which I like but have very few off as they are much harder to find and my sewing skills just aren't there yet for making it myself (and I totally lack free time to work on it).

thedanu

Familiar Face
I'm quite of a dramatic hourglass (bust: 36", waist: 27", hips: 42", with wide shoulders), but I'm also really tall (5' 11"), so I seem to be able to wear a bit of everything from edwardian to the 50's, with the exception of 20's.
Still, I have to say my favourites are edwardian and the 30's, they seem to nicely complement my height and make me look more slender :)

Last edited:

superstarmegami05

New in Town
I'm an hour glass shape at 34-28-36 and feel that the late 40's-50's seem to suit me well. Luckily, that's the fashion I prefer anyway. I tend to have a problem with the length of skirts though since I'm only 5'2". Anything too long and I look even shorter.

Anniemandy

New in Town
I love the way I look in early 40's. I've got hourglass figure, but I have to gain some more weight so I don't look to much like I've been living on a rantion diet.

Btw, I love this forum!

TheGamine

New in Town
First I want to say hi, because I'm new here. Been lurking for awhile and reading all these amazing threads.

Anyway, I'm a 1920s girl, no bust, waist or hips. I'm almost 5'5" and something like 35, 28, 35, my shoulders are easily the widest part of my body. Anything where you need curves or smaller shoulders tends to look pretty silly on me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy