Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What degree of rake do you prefer?

El Sid

New in Town
First, I'm happy to know what 'rake' is, thank you. 2nd, I like some rake on a diamond bash, somewhere around medium-to-high. I'm a long-faced guy, so too much high real estate in the front can get kind of cartoony.

Here's the rake I like....
VSWanPecan3.jpg

Then the reverse rake that I like too...
Photo-0061.jpg

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
I'm a medium to heavy rake guy - but my wife keeps me in check when I get too much rake. She says "too low in back". I'm pretty sure she she only uses the term rake for leaves.
IMG_0738.jpg

Wildblue

One of the Regulars
Personally, I prefer a balanced crown, with little to no rake. I don't really see a practical or aesthetic need for a slope. :)

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Well since I like 20's and 30's proportions, I prefer a higher "rake" (flange) to my brims. With larger brims from this period, the "cup" of the brim is less prevalent than on shorter brims. Keep in mind, all of these hats have a full straight crown. Here's a examaple:

1920's Lion Brand

2 3/8 inch brim

DSC05754.jpg

1930's Gordon

2 1/8 inch brim

DSC05517.jpg

There are some exceptions. This Shoble has the highest flange I have ever seen on a large brimmed hat.

1940's Schoble Warburton

2 5/8 inch brim

DSC05893.jpg

DSC06003.jpg

Lastmohecken

Familiar Face
I like a medium rake, but for me it takes a fairly tall crown to get it, and some of hats have a more level rake because there just isn't enough room in the crown to do more, it seams.

And then on a cowboy hat I have, which is a Resistol Black Gold, when I got it, it had a fairly low cowboy crease on it, that was too low for me to even get on my head as low I like. I think the back of my head is higher, or something. For this hat, I punched out the back of hat to get a reverse rake, sort of a low Gus crease and it works fine. I could not wear it in stock form.

cybergentleman

A-List Customer
No worries, your head is not mutated, I have the same problem, so either we share the same skull mishap or hats need higher crowns. I tend to go with the latter option.

I like a medium rake, but for me it takes a fairly tall crown to get it, and some of hats have a more level rake because there just isn't enough room in the crown to do more, it seams.

And then on a cowboy hat I have, which is a Resistol Black Gold, when I got it, it had a fairly low cowboy crease on it, that was too low for me to even get on my head as low I like. I think the back of my head is higher, or something. For this hat, I punched out the back of hat to get a reverse rake, sort of a low Gus crease and it works fine. I could not wear it in stock form.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I tend to differ from one hat to the next as some of my hats just do not look right with any rake. I wear one straw hat with an entirely open crown, and have a few dress hats I do the same with.

Mr Vim

One Too Many
Honestly,
I have a selection of hats with a variety of rakes. But I do enjoy a rakishly high rake.

Anyone else know rake is a nautical term? Or has been used as one? I did not, but I just looked it up in a proper dictionary.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
This is a nice trip down memory lane. I remember a lot of these old members and I've often wondered what happened to them. Anyway, the sweet spot for me, as far as rake degree, is 4 3/4 inches at the pinch with the rake sloping to 4 inches in the back...the hat pictured is a Resistol Stagecoach that I converted sometime back:
Gray-Converted-Stagecoach-10-A.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran