Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Did You Drink Last Night?

Dennis Young

A-List Customer
Well…I’ve read about it for years and today I purchased something different (for me). I’d heard about folks who loved Irish Whiskey and folks who loved Scotch. I have only imbibed bourbon or Sour Mash so I wondered what these other spirits taste like.

Since I know absolutely nothing about the best type of Scotch or Irish Whiskey to buy, I asked at the local ABC store. The spirits are pricey for me, so I didn’t want to buy a whole lot in case I didnt like it. So I only bought a pint (375 ML) of each.

As I type this, I’m sipping a little Jameson (Original) Irish Whiskey (with a ‘e’). Its 5 pm, so I figure its ok. ;) What I’ve learned is that I like it! The first thing that I discovered was it had a nice aroma. Light, actually…much lighter that my old standbys (George Dickle or Makers’ Mark). Its lighter in appearance too, almost blonde…even lighter than most beer.

Now…for the taste.

Man….its smooth. Smoother than I’d expected. I don’t have a well enough developed palate to pick out the hints of vanilla, etc that their website tells us is in it. But its good. I’ll have to be careful with this stuff. Its refreshing and I don’t want to get carried away with it. Lol!
I also bought a pint of Glenfiddich Scotch. Again I have no idea what I should try as a newbie. So I’ll have to let yall know what I think later. I’m going to finish this glass or Jameson first. J

I'm not a big whisky drinker, however when I do partake, Jameson is at the top of my list of favorites. I've also enjoyed some of the flavored whiskies, such as 'apple' Crown Royal.
HD

Lady ToE and I have recently discovered the Royal Apple Crown drink and like it a lot. I also like Apple Jack and Grape Jack.
Right now, I am liking the iced cold Salty Scots I am sipping out on the back deck.
:D

Dennis Young

A-List Customer
BTW..just don't care for scotch. I've tried several different brands over the years and have never acquired a taste for any of it. I'm anxious to hear your opinion about it Dennis.
HD
BTW..just don't care for scotch. I've tried several different brands over the years and have never acquired a taste for any of it. I'm anxious to hear your opinion about it Dennis.
HD
Well…I’ll try some right now then! J
Ok, yall are going to laugh at me. I didn’t realize this bottle of Glenfiddich had a darn cork in it. So the bottle top was covered by the wrapper and I used my trusty Old Timer knife to cut the seal. Well, the top came off and the cork stayed in the bottle. (I toldja I was a newbie to scotch). ;)
But I twisted the cork and managed to pop it out. Then took a tiny bit of glue and fastened it back to the top. There. Should work fine now.
Ok, first sip.
Smells like…Whisky. But not like bourbon or sour mash.
Now for the taste.
Well…its not as bad as I’d been led to believe. Its pretty smooth. Not as much (imo) as the Jameson Irish Whiskey, but still smoother than I’d expected. I tried some Scotch about 25 years ago at a relatives, and I don’t know what kind she had, but that stuff took a couple of layers of skin off my tongue.
This is much better. The actual taste…well, while its on the tongue seems….tasteless. In fact, all I can detect is a numbing sensation. it’s the aftertaste…after I’ve swallowed it that I begin to detect the flavors. Its actually more of a sensation in my nose than on my tongue. The tongue is slightly numb. it’s the aroma that I really detect. I don’t want to say antiseptic. Its clean. Crisp. Good!!!
Damn…I think I’m going to like Scotch! Lol!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leatherpatch