Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Did You Drink Last Night?

Was finally able to make it to a place that was a regular haunt of mine but hadn't been to since before my surgery back in Nov. The food is excellent!

IMG_0801.jpg

Back home now to enjoy some Scotch whisky

IMG_0806.jpg

Man, your beer posts always look so good. The places I go to look like the shot houses I used to raid.
We have/had a place named the Golden Girl where they leave the LED Christmas lights up in the chicken wire fence yr round, sprinkle the dance floor with ground cornmeal to make it less sticky, & patrons sometimes get so carried away as to dance on the bar top.

And if you want that atmosphere in a country & western motif then go to a placed called Miss Kitty's.

We have/had a place named the Golden Girl where they leave the LED Christmas lights up in the chicken wire fence yr round, sprinkle the dance floor with ground cornmeal to make it less sticky, & patrons sometimes get so carried away as to dance on the bar top.

And if you want that atmosphere in a country & western motif then go to a placed called Miss Kitty's.

I actually like those kind of places, so long as the gunfire is kept to a minimum.

A few of the bars we frequent - since we pretty much only frequent the really old ones - still sprinkle sawdust on the floors for easy clean up. As it usually fits the atmosphere, I like it. It feels Fedora Lounge like and old-school. And, as implied, those are usually bars with old wood, ancient bar backs, brass this and that, tin ceilings, etc. Bar heaven to me.

A few of the bars we frequent - since we pretty much only frequent the really old ones - still sprinkle sawdust on the floors for easy clean up. As it usually fits the atmosphere, I like it. It feels Fedora Lounge like and old-school. And, as implied, those are usually bars with old wood, ancient bar backs, brass this and that, tin ceilings, etc. Bar heaven to me.
The examples I mentioned are not really old ones...just tacky ones. Think 1980's ah la Blues Brothers with the chicken wire fence. We have old ones too. Different classification altogether.

And now there are places where you can have your own Whiskey locker which the proprietors keep stocked with your requests & bill you monthly. I've gone there a few times but only for their selection of over 200 brands of whisky.

IMG_5793.jpg

The examples I mentioned are not really old ones...just tacky ones. Think 1980's ah la Blues Brothers with the chicken wire fence. We have old ones too. Different classification altogether.

And now there are places where you can have your own Whiskey locker which the proprietors keep stocked with your requests & bill you monthly. I've gone there a few times but only for their selection of over 200 brands of whisky.

IMG_5793.jpg

One of our favorites (and what I was describing in my prior post) is this not fancy, just truly old - with a fireplace and sawdust on the floor - bar:
gallery2-2.jpg
gallery1-2.jpg

Over the years, we've tried some of the high-end new cocktail bars in the city but have been turned off by the crazy high prices, forced "authenticity," "star" bartender thing and, in general, the "just trying too hard to be cool" atmosphere.

Maybe it's being in our 50s, but we prefer the simple, but very (to us) cool vibe of the old-school places where the bartender is just a guy or gal you talk to, the prices aren't crazy and the drinks, usually, are pretty darn good.

Last edited:
One of our favorites (and what I was describing in my prior post) is this not fancy, just truly old - with a fireplace and sawdust on the floor - bar:
View attachment 108710 View attachment 108711

Over the years, we've tried some of the high-end new cocktail bars in the city but have been turned off by the crazy high prices, forced "authenticity," "star" bartender thing and, in general, the "just trying too hard to be cool" atmosphere.

Maybe it's being in our 50s, but we prefer the simple, but very (to us) cool vibe of the old-school places where the bartender is just a guy or gal you talk to, the prices aren't crazy and the drinks, usually, are pretty darn good.
I remember these pics (& some holiday pics) from before. I like that kind of place too. Again, clearly different from the tacky places I referenced before.

Being a drinker of whisky & tequila served neat I have no need for handcrafted cocktails either (or the prices), so I avoid those bars too. I only go when I want to sample a new or rare whisky I'm considering. When it's strictly "try it before you buy it."

Enjoyed time spent with an out of state friend here on business last night. Sampled Granite City's Burning Barn Irish Red Ale tapped just last wk but went back to my standby, the Bennie. I forget what they are calling it but they have an Irish Red Ale infused with Bourbon to tap for St. Patrick's Day. Their Gold Fever Belgian Strong Ale, another favorite will be coming up in April.

IMG_0850.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy