Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Did You Drink Last Night?

anon`

One Too Many
Postdated: Deschutes' Human Sacrifice stout.

Borrowing liberally from their description: brewed in honor of the Mayan end of the world with a late addition of cocoa nibs, a generous amount of smoked malt, and a hint of guajillo chilis. Blackstrap molasses and dark Belgian candi sugar round out the body of this black beast.

Black and beastly are absolutely right! At 12.4%, is tops even The Abyss for both blackness and alcohol. I chatted awhile with one of the guys at the Portland brewery, where this was made. It's a very young brew, being started about six weeks ago. The cocoa nibs and chilis both were late additions. Due to the very young age of this beer, it's got all kinds of body and is noticeably sweet, much more like a porter than a stout. The cocoa is very noticeable. Chilis, not so much to me. Molasses and candi sugar are definitely there.

Since our esteemed Calendar Readers failed to accurately predict TEOTWAWKI, the brewers plan to take part of this batch and stick it into bourbon barrels for six or eight months, then release an aged version next year, which I expect will be rather drier and, well, oak-like.

All-in-all, I'd put this one on a spectrum somewhere between Black Butte XXIV and The Abyss 2012, in terms of flavor profile. Probably closer to Black Butte.

Had one at my buddy's house last night.

He always has that stuff from the land of sky blue waters.

[video=youtube;o83xxWCel8g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o83xxWCel8g[/video]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran