Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Did You Drink Last Night?

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
22481_bottle.jpg

"Angus Brut" a very dry "Yeasty" or "Bready" Australian sparkling wine "I Know we are not allowed to call it "Champagne" any longer so I will just say an "Australian" "Fizz" or "Pop" I purchased truckloads of this for my 30th birthday party in 1987 at $6.50 a bottle today it is only $9.00 so House prices have been rising over the last 23 years and Champagne prices have fallen? if your in the UK ask for it at TESCO, create a demand, its quite hard to find here in the Antipodes"

P.S

"I am aching to see someone produce a bottle on "Come Dine With Me"

D-503

Familiar Face
grundie said:
My first post.

I had a glass of Jameson Signature Reserve, something I picked up going through the airport duty free at Christmas.

I struggled to taste the difference between it and regular Jameson. Still, it was an enjoyable drink.

How do you figure Jameson compares to Powers, Paddy, or Bushmills?

Not that anything could compare to Green Spot - I think Middleton makes it. I have a bottle I bought duty free at the airport. Had it on the rocks tonight!

grundie

One of the Regulars
D-503 said:
How do you figure Jameson compares to Powers, Paddy, or Bushmills?

Not that anything could compare to Green Spot - I think Middleton makes it. I have a bottle I bought duty free at the airport. Had it on the rocks tonight!

I have always regarded Jameson as being the most 'middle' of Irish whiskeys. The flavour is not too strong or too mild and it sits nicely between all the other Irish Whiskeys.

Powers has a much stronger flavour, quite sharp and tangy. I would regard it as the least smooth of all the mainstream Irish whiskies.

Paddy is milder and a lot smoother than Jameson.

Bushmills sits somewhere between Jameson and Powers. I should be loyal to Bushmills seeing as I was brought up a few miles away from the distillery. But I prefer the taste of Jameson.

If you want to try something different I would recommend Tyrconnell and Lockes whiskeys made by Irelands only independent distillery, the Cooley. Tyrconnell is pure silk and Locke has a nice bit of kick to it.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
First Manhattan ever

I don't know how I reached the ripe old age of merrbble. . . never mind . . . without ever having had a Manhattan, but I did. Last night I was in the vicinity of Grand Central Terminal in New York, and as is my habit when I'm near, I stopped into the Saloon at the Oyster Bar for a libation. The last time I was there a fellow next to me was having a Manhattan and a plate of white chowder. He explained that he had discovered this combination, and he thought it was the perfect formula for fortifying oneself on a chilly winter evening. I resolved to try it the next tme I was there.
Let me tell you, the man is onto something. They pour a VERY generous drink at the Saloon, and the white chowder is thick and hot and full of good stuff. I walked out of Grand Central all warm inside and sort of walking sideways. ;)

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
dhermann1 said:
I don't know how I reached the ripe old age of merrbble. . . never mind . . . without ever having had a Manhatten, but I did. Last night I was in the vicinity of Grand Central Terminal in New York, and as is my habit when I'm near, I stopped into the Saloon at the Oyster Bar for a libation. The last time I was there a fellow next to me was having a Manhattaen and a plate of white chowder. He explained that he had discovered this combination, and he thought it was the perfect formula for fortifying oneself on a chilly winter evening. I resolved to try it the next tme I was there.
Let me tell you, the man is onto something. They pour a VERY generous drink at the Saloon, and the white chowder is thick and hot and full of good stuff. I walked out of Grand Central all warm inside and sort of walking sideways. ;)

uhhh - how I suddenly miss Oyster Bar - must get to NY very soon!:)

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
First Manhattan Ever

dhermann1 said:
I don't know how I reached the ripe old age of.......without ever having had a Manhattan, but I did.
This is truly bizarre.:eusa_doh:

Selentino

One of the Regulars
Went to a scotch tasting at the Cigar Lounge anniversary (everyone recieved an opusX) Tasted 12,15,18 yr old The Glenlivet, Chivas, and Jameson's gold and reserve. My first time tasting Jameson's, I was pleasantly surprised.

Bourbon Guy

A-List Customer
dhermann1 said:
What can I tell ya??? [huh]
Now I'm a total convert. He made it with bourbon last night. Gotta try it with rye next.

So- do you have an old time bartender who hits it with a splash of bitters, or is it just the bourbon and sweet vermouth? Either way is OK. No judgment here. Manhattans go well with everything. Prime rib. Bar B Q. Scrambled eggs. Birthday cake.

Bourbon. It's what's for dinner.

Bourbon Guy said:
So- do you have an old time bartender who hits it with a splash of bitters, or is it just the bourbon and sweet vermouth? Either way is OK. No judgment here. Manhattans go well with everything. Prime rib. Bar B Q. Scrambled eggs. Birthday cake. Bourbon. It's what's for dinner.

I prefer a drop or two of Angostura Bitters in the mix myself. When times are good and the wallet is flush I like to have a Gentleman Jack Manhattan or three before dinner and drinks.

Bourbon Guy

A-List Customer
Pleased to have provided you with a smile. Go into your Friday with good cheer and a song in your heart, knowing that it is only 16 hours 'til happy hour and the weekend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo