Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Did You Drink Last Night?

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
rumblefish said:
My friends from Argentina drink Fernet Branca, always with cola. As a matter of fact, if you ask for it from them you'll get with cola automatically. I like neat, but for sure, two ounces will do.
This is similar, and I think superior: https://www.underberg.com/index/en/flash/Intro-Flash.html
I get this from a German butcher, I've never even seen it in a liquor store. It only comes in tiny bottles.;)

Fernet Branca with coca cola actually sounds pretty good. Hmmm. You gave me an idea there.

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
rumblefish said:
Tons of juice from one lemon, and to me, a little less aspirin tasting. And yes, the rind is useless. Almost oil free.;)

I order my Luxardo along with the creme de violette from http://www.drinkupny.com/, they actually have an Aviation kit.:eusa_clap
Free shipping over $99, easy- right to your door! Just got to be there to sign.

How about you? Someplace local?
I love the look I get when I ask for stuff like; Slivovitz, poire williams, kirschwasser, maraschino at my local spots. :D

I'm sure someone told me that the "original" Aviaition had Creme Yvette in it, bit hard to come by, is there anything to this statement?

The Aviation Gin though, I really like :). I don't know anything else quite like it.

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
Just heard: Around early March. at Astor in NY

One thing to keep in mind when dealing with booze coming to market in the USA, is all products have to be licensed and approved in each individual state to be sold locally, which can take sometime.

There was some sampled at TOC, most people that had some were pretty happy.

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
Absinthe_1900 said:
Just heard: Around early March. at Astor in NY

One thing to keep in mind when dealing with booze coming to market in the USA, is all products have to be licensed and approved in each individual state to be sold locally, which can take sometime.

There was some sampled at TOC, most people that had some were pretty happy.

Ah thanks Absinthe_1900 - a nice update, I hadn't heard anything in a while.

I've been meaning to ask you if you know a good recipe for the Sazerac, I figured you'd be the chap to know.

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
rumblefish said:
I haven't, please share...

I can't find the exact recipe online, it's a version of the French 75 and it has earl grey tea syrup, lemon juice, Hendrick's and champagne in it. It is my favourite cocktail of the moment and I do believe I shall have one on tuesday night, enjoyed where they make it the best.

Bob Bob Ricard (downstairs bar, the cosiest place in London)

members_bar_salon_422.jpg

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
Ethan Bentley said:
Ah thanks Absinthe_1900 - a nice update, I hadn't heard anything in a while.

I've been meaning to ask you if you know a good recipe for the Sazerac, I figured you'd be the chap to know.

I follow this one:

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sfhaxHYb46E&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sfhaxHYb46E&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Boodles

A-List Customer
Luxardo - Frugal MacDoogals; English 75?

rumblefish said:
I order my Luxardo along with the creme de violette from http://www.drinkupny.com/, they actually have an Aviation kit.:eusa_clap
Free shipping over $99, easy- right to your door! Just got to be there to sign.
How about you? Someplace local?

Last time I got some was in upper South Carolina at a big shop under the name of Frugal MacDoogals. That has been some time ago.

I cannot find any reference to a drink called English 75, including my reprint of the 1930 Savoy. Given that the French 75 was, I think, named after an old French field piece of 75mm the idea of an English 75 is even more curious. I'd love to know more.

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
Absinthe_1900 said:
I follow this one:

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sfhaxHYb46E&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sfhaxHYb46E&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Ah excellent, this is what I used the other day. :) I had had a Sazarac once before and wasn't much of a fan; then I tried this was and it completely changed my mind.

I think Chris' selection of videos are real a gem.

skillbilly

One of the Regulars
Creme Yvette is about a year and a half behind its original re-release date.
It will only be released on the east coast to see how it fares. There is a lot
of demand for this, so if you have an interest grab a bottle while you can they
won't last.

In addition to the more popular Aviation which called for Creme Yvette
there are well over 40 vintage cocktails still in print that called for that
liqueur, not to mention to the new ones created during its test run.

I can't wait for it to hit a shelf somewhere.

SteveAS

Practically Family
Aberlour a' Bunadh, neat. It was good, but not as compelling as it has been other nights of late. It seemed lacking in richness. [huh]

Boodles

A-List Customer
Creme Yvette and the Aviation

skillbilly said:
In addition to the more popular Aviation which called for Creme Yvette
there are well over 40 vintage cocktails still in print that called for that
liqueur, not to mention to the new ones created during its test run.

I need to look through more of the receipe books for an Aviation using Creme Yvette. Everything I've looked at so far is more or less like the Savoy book: 2/3 gin, 1/3 lemon juice and 2 dashes of Luxardo (Or maraschino). Mr Rumblefish you must have a different formula. Please share, if you please.

Cricket

Practically Family
Quite simple, my husband and I shared some glasses of blush wine and watched Dark Passage. Perfect evening.

By the way, Darhling, the London Bar picture made my mouth drop. Great look, and looks like a great feel. Now, I am jealous. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails