Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you do with a frumpy hubby?

Nightshade

New in Town
I guess I'm more particular becuase I am a fashion designer(well for a select few lol) and an artist, so I'm very picky about what colors go together and textures of fabric(like all jean or velvet on a man is very bad :)). It might just be me but oh well. I'm weird anyways.

fibi

New in Town
Viviene said:
He still has a pair of cutoff jeans shorts he's had since he was 17 years old and he is now 51. I've thrown those out more times than I can count and they miraculously make their way back into his drawer. And no they don't fit. :rolleyes:

Maybe you could try some subtle "cutting off" of your own on them :) Or just take them straight to the dump, bypassing the bin.

Viviene

Vendor
Actually what I have done is take those wonderful cutoffs that will never fit again and made a shadow box. The shadow box includes the shorts, several pictures of my DH from when he was a young child, grade school, high school and on up until the present and several other relics from his life. He'll receive it for our anniversary on February 11, which is our 23rd anniversary. This way he gets to keep his cutoffs but I don't have to worry about him trying to wear them. :)

Eleanor Marie

One of the Regulars
Well..

My husband has only worn a suit once in the 8 years we have been together and that was last September for my Nanas funeral! We had a gothic wedding and he wore shirt,tie,waistcoat and black jeans and black boots. If we get to go to a burlesque club in London he will have to wear his suit or I told him he's not going![huh]

Ruby Slippers

One of the Regulars
This is what I do not get! My guy looks really good in a suit. Guys tend to look really great when they are dressed sharply. Why do they refuse?

It mystifies me. I've seen him in a suit only once (we've been together almost 2 years).

*sigh* I guess I'll have to be satisfied with the photo.

Eleanor Marie

One of the Regulars
Oh No

Darn - didn't take a picture for posterity - it was a funeral after all! He was thoroughly ribbed by me and my Nana so I'll probably never see it on him again. Sigh.

Decobelle

One of the Regulars
I guess this was always a problem - remember the I Love Lucy episode *Changing the Boys' Wardrobe* where Ricky & Fred insist on wearing their old clothes in public, so Lucy and Ethel sell them to a used clothing dealer (who promptly sells them back to Ricky & Fred)?

I can relate. At least my FH is willing to dress up if I do all the legwork (finding the clothes, etc). Some I know just plain won't. :eek:fftopic: FH's dad was a real *swing kid* in Germany in the 1930s-40s, loved the US big bands and had a wardrobe of suits, tuxs, hats, etc. Unfortunately his widow (who saves everything) got rid of them just a couple years before we met! :(

Sweet Leilani

A-List Customer
Thankfully my husband is a thoughtful dresser and is always willing to let me dress him up for a vintage event, even though he doesn't normally wear vintage clothes. My problem is my brother! He is such a cool guy with great taste in music and a love for vintage stuff (mostly 50s and 60s). But he dresses in old camo pants, orange T-shirts (his favorite color :eusa_doh: ) and plaid flannels everyday. I keep telling him if he would dress to suit his vintage lifestyle he wouldn't be single at 30.... but it's no use. I guess comfort always wins over style in these days where it's socially accpetable to leave the house in bedroom slippers.

Dapper Dan

One of the Regulars
My God, these stories about men just losing the urge for self-adornment chill me. I shudder to think that, at age 40, I might be perfectly happy dressing like a slob. Not that there's necessarily anything wrong with dressing like a slob; it's just that it would basically mean that the Dan of today had died.

As far as the whole self esteem thing leading to dressing poorly goes, I can't fathom that. My poor self esteem is what leads me to dress better. Kind of like I'm atoning for something, I guess.

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
Dapper Dan said:
As far as the whole self esteem thing leading to dressing poorly goes, I can't fathom that. My poor self esteem is what leads me to dress better. Kind of like I'm atoning for something, I guess.

I hear you Dapper Dan. I think I dress up for the same reasons. I've always thought my self to be an odd duck - not ugly, just different from everyone. I'm definitely not a mainstream looks sort of person and I think I dress well to atone for it. Strangers have actually come up to me in public to tell me how they always like what I wear. Once I was wearing vintage dungarees and a blouse at a bar and a stranger stopped me because she couldn't believe what I was wearing. As she put it, "I'm always dressed so formally." lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace