Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you layer under your leather jacket?

Mark Hutchins

New in Town
I'd like to be able to wear a leather jacket when the temps get lower, like snow on the ground lower. Just curious about what you guys have found that is thin enough to fit under a jacket comfortably, but also gives the best bang for your buck with regard to insulation. Thanks!

Mark Hutchins

New in Town
I'd like to be able to wear a leather jacket when the temps get lower, like snow on the ground lower. Just curious about what you guys have found that is thin enough to fit under a jacket comfortably, but also gives the best bang for your buck with regard to insulation. Thanks!
I wear a US Army nylon quilted field jacket liner under a G-1 sometimes...or a wool sweater... a mistake is getting a leather jacket that is too tight for a warm layer...or, you could have a summer jacket and larger winter jacket.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Agreed. There are some iconic photos where Joey‘s jacket looks too short but he would have been tough to fit in any OTR double rider.
View attachment 474520

Tommy’s the exception in the other direction since he was too short for men’s cross zips and wore a Cycle Queen (pretty briefly before going back to a leather trucker).

I imagine part of why Joey switched to Lewis for a while might have been that (even then) they were made to order so they could do longer sleeves for him.

Mark Hutchins

New in Town
I don't try to wear my leather jacket when weather is cooler than45-50F.
For cold, rainy or snowy weather I have a series of Wellensteyn jackets that range from comfortable at 50F to -30F.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Browns Beach inspired vest made by Woolrich.

The Japan made Browns Beach copies are ridiculously expensive, no idea why. Vintage Woolrich repros can be found in the €50-€100 price range.

9A471E28-87B7-45D7-8099-CD1411B76F45.jpeg
AB089EB1-6095-4D24-BEFD-5813EA656F55.jpeg

jonbuilder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Imo if you can’t layer anything, under your leather jacket, other than a t-shirt you are buying the wrong size. A jacket should be versatile, and you should be able to wear it as much as possible, so if you are buying that tight fashion fit you greatly limit the use of the jacket.
That one excuss a lot of us use to justify owning more than one leather jacket. We need numerous leather jackets so we have one to fit different weather conditions and social occasions.

Edward

Bartender
Except for Marky’s Monza which he mostly wore with his previous band, their jackets were nowhere near as undersized as people imagine. Dee Dee regularly wore a hoodie under his Perfecto, as did Joey (whose sizing had other problems, chiefly his being far taller than average). Johnny’s is clearly true to size, as are Joey’s Lewis jackets and later Vanson jackets.

Certainly true that if you look at the photos by Rocket to Russia, there's a very marked improvement in fit from the very earliest photos (also, by that era- Tommy's return to the trucker style being the exception, of course) there's the settling on the double-rider / lancer front as the Ramone Uniform. As memory serves, on the first album cover, it's only Johnny in a lancer front; Joey's wearing what looks like an early 70s jacket with a big, Jim Morrison style collar, and DeeDee had what looked like, from memory, a leather knock-off of an MA1....

Tommy’s the exception in the other direction since he was too short for men’s cross zips and wore a Cycle Queen (pretty briefly before going back to a leather trucker).

I imagine part of why Joey switched to Lewis for a while might have been that (even then) they were made to order so they could do longer sleeves for him.

By that later stage, Joey had also spent a bit more time touring in England and in the same orbit as the Class of 77 London scene, so he'd doubtless have been much more aware of Lewis from the likes of the Clash boys. As memory serves, wasn't it while on tour in England Joey and Marky bought their Lewises? Custom sizing must have helped for Joey, particularly in sleeve length!

Browns Beach inspired vest made by Woolrich.

The Japan made Browns Beach copies are ridiculously expensive, no idea why. Vintage Woolrich repros can be found in the €50-€100 price range.

View attachment 475222 View attachment 475221

Ohhh..... now where exactly *would* one fund an affordable repop of the likes of this?

willyto

One Too Many

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Main concern is that these styles usually appear on the US which means it's a NO GO because of shipping and custom duties and taxes. I no longer buy anything from the US because even if it's cheap then it turns into a very expensive item.

Damn robbers.
Good point. Getting something like this from the US easily adds €75 - €100

I found mine on Vinted :D

Ebay, Etsy, Vinted.

Here's a couple

https://www.ebay.com/itm/125659020807?hash=item1d41dc7e07:g:CGoAAOSwCl5jljAJ&amdata=enc:AQAHAAAAoIIVA+aAeZiixEEldTsCgDIGWkAiFUfTMEt87lVqsjGcHttbiRmlLduZnvTaMTmJ2qzHtE33aRiAAKYOT9bVizphgA9BDsquu/viLacfQgb+OCe4J2y5zWJm7Jgzn2In6Sc89yNJ5ji+NWiEAqOT4KUleuK/xOnfMPoRTMG9DxCFoAGezi1qBagwryd1viH9d45Wbe5JMqrQp0eh+O11yOM=|tkp:Bk9SR5awuPOnYQ

https://www.ebay.com/itm/325354769599?hash=item4bc0a7ccbf:g:0T4AAOSwCYdjLjEd&amdata=enc:AQAHAAAAoAx5ulwhQxqA/uRudB+/nJG5N7mL/90LOc2ZaYRZf6CrGUQXAO2/Y3ra9q18TgLNE8Eao5a3XBr0h4xfveBrqUrsTTnJMEswIxoJieYMH+4k8TaP4Dlq4IIUs0KmyAZLokpSxuC529xFwhERVAXxrHFc4ZRhHUXWkOrYJcc1rAuO9j5ehCyD9+NPW9gPQ/MV0WHwZhNwU30iZ1eL0CdAseY=|tkp:Bk9SR5awuPOnYQ

https://www.ebay.com/itm/125651024187?hash=item1d4162793b:g:sZMAAOSwM8Vjj9xS&amdata=enc:AQAHAAAA4JiArkOL0pymipeVGFL5rmLd7y+Y2wD7/ebiq+Z2PeXDMW2DUuXOHQrm6xTFrydCpu7B0buyxED7ajQEK/XMPGOCpuBN54qKdtSgUaWPKyFOn32DyjEl7rYfCp9iwoR+VEsbgQ1HTHEDvQ61vHLokCfdfju3ytCcVKut3cbhqEa+VbCjYjjzIksy0/vBBFtsDP8PaxDpCeB2iMd0HRSDavDzS5mIzXHUTEVJnYmV9x6YDI3d6axdNOcFWs0kHpPs8Z5tMhfo3w7hD+0P4l3CjA4hCTm/CF6uPMjFmFnRB9m6|tkp:BFBMmLC486dh

https://www.ebay.com/itm/115522391010?hash=item1ae5abcbe2:g:eek:mYAAOSw2N9jHXgP&amdata=enc:AQAHAAAAoIZotrjGojQYvM7KgQshVtXrGvLj0ACuHGgBw7QKY4XphO6NYsKDi2pL5VoI5yjgmfNhYSWtBcmre027sbPwIYuy6WvZY+qvkuCVttp2X7cyKW2+5d6qTFc5N0l8WaS1xdqdb1DX+8/kTNB/CTLGtCy7eVdhrYnNq2KzKaWCscvlXg06rcU9lwXNuQo3vs7XJ5wo/KwwESeJb9e4MTfRQqw=|tkp:Bk9SR5iwuPOnYQ

https://www.etsy.com/listing/137623...st&ref=sr_gallery-1-30&organic_search_click=1

What size do you wear? Sizing can be all over the place with woolrich and most I’ve had run huge. I’ve always liked these but hesitated.

Yango

One of the Regulars
5AA8B729-CE5E-4265-8F26-02472F2A81BA.jpeg

I wear a Tshirt and a thin long sleeve down hoodie. When it gets below freezing I can fit a thin North Face polar fleece under my Schott 141, size 42 long. My chest measurement is 42—and this combo is toasty warm and very comfortable—I don’t feel like my movement is restricted… and I don’t think I look like the Michelin Man.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko