Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What do you think?

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Wested jackets...

I hope I'm not blaspheming too much here but then this isn't really an Indy forum anyway... is it?... the quality of Wested's leather Indy jackets is unfortunately reflected in the price- pretty cheap. The quality really isn't anything to get excited about at all- if you compare with actual vintage jackets from the day, it's actually quite sad. I really don't know if people just like the jacket because it's "authentic" to the movie jacket or if it's because the jacket is supposed to be evocative of "the era". The simple truth is that the Indy jacket is badly styled- not true to the era, more like a '70s generic style. After all it was a piece of Hollywood costume, not a quality or luxury item. I really don't like to be badmouthing amongst so many hardcore fans of the movie and the jackets but what I'm talking about is coming from a passion for vintage clothing and knowledge of garment construction and knowing what quality is. I really don't understand the hype surrounding the jacket- it must just be to do with it being a piece of the film- please enlighten me in understanding...
I am not trying to upset anyone here, just making observations- I loved the movies but am not what you'd call an "Indy-fan".
BT.

Michaelson

One Too Many
You're right, this is a discussion more tailored for an Indy site, so it would probably be best to either take this up at COW when it's back up, OR, even start a separate post in this section. This is actually a good topic, and has been debated back and forth for years. A lot of folks would disagree that the jacket is incorrect to vintage design, as I've seen photos taken in the 30's and 40's of jackets having the very design flaws that have been brought up in this very string in place...specifically the side straps, and the D-rings. The particular jacket involved pretty much uses items from several vintage jacket designs (at least that's what I'VE witnessed to date), but to point to one, specific designer, I cannot say.

Boy, can you tell I moderate at another location? :rolleyes: ;)

All excellent question and observations, and should be out there on their own rather than buried in an unrelated string, in my opinion!!

High regards! Michaelson

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Michaelson?

I don't think you read or understood my message- the point was, I didn't want to broach this subject on an Indy site- I wouldn't really want to burst onto an Indy board and say this there, I don't think the response would be very "good"-
I thought this was a place better suited- interest in things vintage and all, moderated with a bit of the Indy... I was prompted to mention it here because "Victor" mentioned the Wested's questionable quality in an earlier post.
I'm familiar with the jacket's details but I don't really see that it's evocative of the styles of the era, not in any specific way- the cut and detailing is not good.
Design features? I didn't notice any- there is not really any style there.

Do I detect an attempt at subtle persuasion in the order of "leave it alone"?
If so, directness can save a lot of server space.

BT. ;)

Michaelson

One Too Many
Leave it alone? Not at all! I'm saying folks aren't going to see this discussion buried in a string about 'what do you think of this jacket?'. That's all. Unless you get 'Indy' folks involved, nobody really cares one way or the other, even here. THAT'S why I suggested it being broached on an Indy site, as you're contesting the design, which involves not only Wested, but U.S. Wings, Gibson and Barnes (FlightSuits), among other, who make and sell this jacket design. If you don't want to place it on an Indy site, then start another string here in the jacket section to see what folks DO think.

If you want direct, I can be just as blunt as the next guy. I totally understood what you were saying. Apparently you didn't understand MY points, as I thought I was being as clear as I could be. Apparently not, and I apologize for that.

Regards. Michaelson

The Mad Hatter

A-List Customer
Another oilskin to consider is the Drizabone Bushman (which, unfortunately, I have not yet purchased):

bushman.jpg

Victor

One of the Regulars
I'm afraid I have to side with "BellyTank" on this one.
First of all it would be very rude to go to COW and trash their beloved Westeds. I also don't see a point in a "whats the matter with Westeds" thread here either. Its just commentary.
Like I said I own 2 Westeds and also bought one for my son. They are a decent leather jacket that really depends on the custom fit to make it a really good jacket. My sons jacket is too big (I bought it on ebay) and doesn't look quite right but he will probably grow into it. For a hard core Indy fan the Wested is the holy grail of jackets because it supports the Indiana Jones fantasy. It is screen accurate. If you are not a diehard Indy guy it may not be the best jacket you can buy nor an authentic vintage garment, its just a nice soft leather jacket that drapes well if it fits right and is made of very good leather but not extremely tough. If you want a Wested I would highly suggest having them make it for you rather than buying it second hand.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Victor...

Sorry to be bit chin on the Indy jacket,(if you care...) nothing personal. It just disappointed me that the wardrobe dept. didn't make a better effort and that the eventual merchandise jacket wasn't able to be a quality item- like the Fedoras we now have- instead of remaining a facsimilie of a cheap piece of mediocre movie wardrobe. I like the idea of Indy but the item cheapens the memory for me. And yes, my posting on the subject was incidental- just an "oh yeah! while we're on the subject- why...".

BT.

Michaelson

One Too Many
I like that jacket, MadHatter! I have a hat that's supposed to be coming in from Drizabone in the near future, and I'll be interested in seeing how a larger item will pan out, in regards to Mycrofts original quest for a good field coat. I have one of their bags, and have been quite impressed with it's qualities.

Victor, BellyTank, I'm sorry my suggestions fell on deaf ears. Hopefully somebody will gain insight to your experiences, if they find them in the middle of this particular string about cotton field/travel jackets. THAT was MY point. I have no problems with others having bad experiences with Wested. I am not on their payroll. We're just on different pages to this thought process, and unfortunately it is buried in the middle of a topic that is totally unrelated to what you two are even talking about.

My best to you both.

Regards. Michaelson

Victor

One of the Regulars
I see your point Michaelson, I just want YOU to understand that my intent is not to trash Wested. I LIKE my Wested jackets! I wear them all the time! As matter of fact that IS my point. Wested is a good company and have a good product, I just felt that it is only the BEST product for the serious Indy fan and not necessarily for everyone who wants a good jacket. Thats why I am not interested in going to COW or starting a new thread here critiquing Wested. I belive that was BellyTanks intent too though he did use a bit stronger negative language about it. I am just not really that interested in creating an "Indy non Indy" debate here thats all.

Michaelson

One Too Many
No problem at all, gentlemen. Like I said, I TOTALLY understand your points, and just wish you'd share them with folks who may be considering purchases of a Wested, and not have access to the point-counterpoint experiences with the product. But, I also see your reluctance to post in areas that can be 'pro' Wested. It could start a war....but heck, just looking sideways at somebody can do that sometimes, so why not? :cool: ;) High regards! Michaelson

binkmeisterRick

A-List Customer
Hey, Victor, I don't see you as trashing Wested. I love my Wested goatskin Indy and have no complaints about it whatsoever. It's held up quite nicely to what I give it. It's a great Indy jacket, and I think even on its own, it's a nice looking jacket and a great product, but sure, I wouldn't stop there if I wanted to keep growing my vintage clothing collection.

If I was looking for just a "regular" leather jacket, I would've looked beyond just the Indy jacket and design. When you are looking for something specific, be it any style, it behooves you to keep your eyes open and look around. But again, I don't take you to be trashing Wested, though I can see why you might be timid to view this perspective to a concentrated Indy fan base.

What's more, I think it's difficult to find new items that live up to their vintage counterparts. I recently came across a great 40's-50's horsehide jacket that I wish I had the money for. It's well constructed and is nicer than most new leather jackets I see around today, period!

bink

binkmeisterRick

A-List Customer
Oh, and BellyTank, as an Indy fan, I'm not personally offended by your comments, either. My personal experience is that I have a great jacket, regardless of the price. But if I were to compare it with the horsehide jacket I just mentioned, sure, you can tell a big difference in the jackets beyond just style, nevermind one is comparring goatskin to horsehide. Again, they don't make much of ANYTHING like they used to, in my book. (Though sometimes that's not a bad thing. ;) )

I respect your opinions to the "T" and don't fault you for it! ;)

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Guys,... Victor, Michaelson, Bink.

Yeh, it was me doing the trashing- I didn't really wanna step on toes and you guys are not the knee-jerk type, so fine, maybe I didn't quite get that far.
But I love vintage leather jackets/coats.

Nice vintage horsehide jackets are still around and still reasonably priced if you compare to their modern equivalents and consider their quality and heritage.
They're relics of yesteryear, nothing like it. They've already lasted a lifetime and are ready for another. I think of a nice vintage HH jacket as a companion, one with a history-
and a necessary accessory... My true hate is the "designer" leathers which command 1000s and considering their source, lack style, quality and weight- in the world of leather they're frauds. You could call me an Indy Fan, just not a card and whip carrying one. The Fedora's the star for me.

BT.

binkmeisterRick

A-List Customer
Hey, if you step on my toes, it's okay, I got extra. In fact, I think that's why most people come with ten of 'em. ;) I might have to see if that horsehide jacket is still there. The price was incredibly reasonable, but it's always a matter of finances, you know? Maybe I have something in the closet I could trade for it.... :cool:

bink

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic