Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What era is this suit from ?

couillederat

New in Town
Hi Folks,
I'm a french guy vintage addict, and i really enjoy reading that forum. So much good things to learn here!

For my first post, i would like to have your opinion about a suit a guy sell in France. I'm still waiting for more pics, like the label, but maybe you can estimate the area of this one.
The seller claims it from the 30s.

be0031e7-73dc-4530-a0a5-28222a762515.jpg

4e6a7686-a7f6-4504-85a1-f7b8fa811fcf.jpg

Thanks all!

William Stratford

A-List Customer
Well, I am a lonnnnng way from being an expert on this, but the peaked lapels are wide and the trousers have the necessary buttons for braces, so that all to me implies pre-1940 at least. Beyond that I dont know though. Sorry. :eek:

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
It looks very nice.

Ask the seller to provide you with photographs showing the details of the waistband of the trousers and the pockets (side and rear). Also ask for photographs of any labels and details of the interior pockets. If you look on the 'Show us your British suits' thread, there are photographs showing details of the differences between british and continental suits. There is also a thread called 'Show us your German suits', that has lots of details of how to identify suits from around Europe, not just German suits.

Some of the experts (I'm not one of them) will be able to use the details to give you a good idea of where and when it was made.

Interestingly, the jacket is rather short when compared to the sleeves. i have an idea that shorter jackets were popular in continental Europe during the 1930s. I would guess 1930s. Probably continental but, as i say, one of the experts will be able to give you a better answer.

Good luck.

couillederat

New in Town
Thank you all for your replies, i will definetly ask for more pictures, and let you know about it.
I was thinking the same about the area but not sure, looks in so good conditions i was a bit unconfident.

@FFF: Wow, nice scans. It's a great source.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
"Area" refers to physical space.

I think you mean ERA, which would refer to dates and times.

I agree with the 1930s.

Is it just me, or are those really really REALLY wide lapels?? I don't think I've seen anything that wide outside of a dinner jacket!

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yes. I think in the mid to late 30s the lapels got this wide. The cataloge scans are a little earlier but already on the way to this shape.

Here is another scan from the early 30s comparing suits from different countries (France, UK, USA)
tumblr_m2w949N6dw1r5rhsmo1_500.jpg

Maybe I am kidding myself but to me it looks very french. :-D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL