Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What has quality and style today

Alex Oviatt

Practically Family
Nice gear! What flies were you using?

shoelessjoe said:
311584853.jpg

Imported Jerusalem Oive Wood Reel Seat & Fossilized Amber-Handled Reel w/Silk Line

285824953.jpg

Brazilian Snakewood Reel Seat & Peerless SC Ltd. Reel
287750657.jpg

The Patriarch (bottom) & The Progeny
287762358.jpg

Ditto

... and they really, really work!
311586691.jpg

shoelessjoe

Familiar Face
Alex Oviatt said:
Nice gear! What flies were you using?
Thanks, Alex ... when fishing for cutthroats, my go-to flies are the Royal Wulff &/or a Wright's Royal (tied on #16 Tiemco 900BLs). I really enjoy wandering the backcountry for cutts cause it gets me away from the crowds and into places/fish like this:

270890054.jpg

DSCN0635-1.jpg

Foofoogal

Banned
After being married almost 33 years my best overall money well spent product is any of the RevereWear cookwear. Hands down.
Stylish also I believe.
http://www.revereware.com/
I have some I bought 30 years ago still going strong.
Just thinking about a thread like this the other day. Had never seen this one before. Thanks.
Sears Kenmore washers and dryers are also good.

Sertsa

One of the Regulars
I hope it's ok to bring this thread back up. I saw this and wanted to post it. Olympus's new interchangeable-lens digital camera, which looks a lot like a classic rangefinder, as well as the classic Olympus PEN camera. (I haven't seen one in person, though):

intro-001.jpg

EP1chr-white-001.jpg

Next to the classic PEN camera
EP1_pen-001.jpg

(Photos taken from http://www.dpreview.com)

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
The Milwaukee Belle WXL 883 Liberator

These showed up in my inbox a day or two ago.

Loungers will appreciate this customized Harley-Davidson motorcycle by a fellow in France. This video and this video show how Milwaukee Belle can customize a run-of-the-mill Harley 883 EVO Sportster to closely resemble a 1942 Harley WLA 45ci Army bike.

I’m not so into the military look, personally, but Fran-6, the proprietor of Milwaukee Belle, assures me that it would be easy for him to build something that closely resembled a civilian W or WL 45, or a period bobber. And the best part is, no real 1940s bikes need be harmed to get this look, as the 45 and Big Twin have a huge reproduction-parts industry that can provide most or all of the pieces necessary.

I don’t think it gets better than this. Harley 45s are notoriously underpowered, but are absolutely gorgeous (the 1941-style trim was designed by Ray Loewy). Here you get classic styling with modern power and reliability.

-Dave

Edward

Bartender
In a similar vein to that Triumph, there are the current Royal Enfield bikes. The one I really love is the simple Classic 350cc...

670classic350.jpg

I'm not big on a lot of contemporary design, tbh.... not that I'm opposed to contemporary design, it's just that so much of it just doesn't appeal to me. I'm not big on anything that looks too plastic I suppose.... The steampunk and dieselpunk aesthetics I love so much as they take modern technologies and give them the cosmetic appearance / style that seems to appeal to me most. A lot of modern retro-style things get it close, but not quite.... especially the cars. The concept cars above look great, then there is (more affordably) the Hindustan Ambassador (based on the Mk III Morris Oxford):

4b710421bd994hindustan_ambassador_ext1.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hindustan_Ambassador

Where they always fall down for me, though, is the interior.... all plastic and vinyl.... why can't anyone go the whole hog and build an interior into one of these, especially the luxury concept cars, that actually takes its styling queues from the period the body apes, rather than shoe-horning in a bland, modern interior? I mean, the exterior style looks fantastic, but I'd hate to step into it and feel like I was driving any old bland modern box.... Maybe I'm just odd - I always hated power steering when I drove (too easy, somehow).

Apple do very well in the design of their products, though I've gone off them as a company. I love my ipod, but aside from that their stuff is a bit overpriced for alls I need, and I found the iPhone spec to be rather lagging behind the competition. Unfortunately, it seems that all too often they have gone the way of selling a lifestyle brand in which I have no interest as opposed to simply solid products. The other thing I don't like is their 'walled garden' approach that seeks to block you in to buying all-Apple.... but that's a matter other than style.

Vita Audio make beautiful stuff, not quite vintage, not quite contemporary - totally timeless. I'd adore one of these R4s, though I'm holiding off until they add an internet wifi radio capability to it....

R4_front_features.jpg

I'm currently planning, just when I have the spare cash, to pick up a Revo Domino D3 (FM/DAB/DAB+/Internet radio with iPod dock) for my kitchen. Love the look of this:

Revo-Domino-D1.jpg

A rubberised finish. I'll probably go for the black; it'll show up fingermarks, I know, but the white I fear might yellow if it gets the sun...

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Edward said:
In a similar vein to that Triumph, there are the current Royal Enfield bikes. The one I really love is the simple Classic 350cc...

Tightening emissions rules have been working against the Enfield Bullet here. I think the 350 is no longer available at all, and the 500 engine was redesigned a few years ago with little care as to making it resemble the 1950s original.

Still, they are cool bikes, if a bit small by American standards. In that same vein, I like the Ural motorcycle and the CJ750, though neither are really high on the “quality” scale.

I'm not big on a lot of contemporary design, tbh.... not that I'm opposed to contemporary design, it's just that so much of it just doesn't appeal to me. I'm not big on anything that looks too plastic I suppose....

I feel exactly the same way. People accuse me of only liking old stuff, but in reality I just like good-quality, nice-looking stuff, and one of the only places to get those attributes affordably is by buying things made 50+ years ago.

The steampunk and dieselpunk aesthetics I love so much as they take modern technologies and give them the cosmetic appearance / style that seems to appeal to me most.

Yes, I desperately wish I was better at “modding” as it’s called, as I can envision the way a lot of things ought to look (the PC made from a Breakfaster comes to mind), but I’m not skilled enough to change their looks on my own.

the Hindustan Ambassador

Very cool. The Indians have a pragmatism that appeals to me. They have this attitude of “why fix it if it ain’t broke”? I think they also still produce a version of the CJ3B Jeep. I’m unsure of the quality of their stuff, though, and most of it wouldn’t be allowed over here as imports anyway, because of our safety and emissions standards.

Where they always fall down for me, though, is the interior.... all plastic and vinyl.... why can't anyone go the whole hog and build an interior into one of these, especially the luxury concept cars, that actually takes its styling queues from the period the body apes, rather than shoe-horning in a bland, modern interior? I mean, the exterior style looks fantastic, but I'd hate to step into it and feel like I was driving any old bland modern box....

This is why I don’t get “street rodding”, as most of those fellows install tweed-covered bucket seats, a digital dash, and a tilt column. Here’s a great idea: Let’s just buy an ‘85 Corvette instead of building one out of a ‘34 Ford.

The wheels and tires are another thing nobody can get right. I’m not saying that the PT Cruiser ought to have bias ply whitewalls and 16-inch artillery wheels, but a painted steel wheel with a small hubcap and a tire with at least some sidewall height would really lend a lot to the retro look.

Of course, mechanically most of these retromobiles are totally uninspiring anyway. They’re still going to drive like modern economy cars. The Chevrolet SST was the last attempt at combining retro with neat mechanicals, and it was a dismal failure, probably because not too many people can justify adding a two-seat roadster pickup to their stable. How about a retro sedan, coupe, or four-passenger convertible with a four-cylinder or V6, an available manual transmission, and rear wheel drive?

Apple do very well in the design of their products

Their stuff is fairly handsome, anything looks good in gloss black with understated chrome trim. Although I agree that their blatant attempts at monopolizing the consumer is very unattractive. Flash anyone?

Vita Audio make beautiful stuff, not quite vintage, not quite contemporary - totally timeless.

Nice looking stuff. “Classic” is the term that comes to mind.

-Dave

swinggal

One Too Many
I have the uranium green lady. She's reproduced from the 1920s version. Not as detailed of course, but still classic styling.

GL05and13and07and06_lg_SoapDishes.jpg

Some outstanding repro art deco upholstery velvet and woven fabrics for re-covering old furniture. I found these when researching for a friend who wants to re-upolster their early 30s club lounge. Most of the fabrics come from Europe.
http://www.decodame.com/fabrics/art_deco_fabrics.htm

ddf30a.jpg

ddf6.JPG

ddf2b.jpg

ddf5.JPG

ddf1_overview.jpg

ddf10plum.JPG

ddf23b_sm.jpg

ddf27d_sm.jpg

Atomic

One of the Regulars
Edward said:

670classic350.jpg

I really like the Enfields. I want to get one because I think they are beautiful but I really fear the lack of power on this bike. I need to ride one. I've just heard horror stories about how few ponies this bike has versus its weight. Out here in the Pac NW, we have too many freeways to be lacking power. Its sad, I like small underpowered bikes (I ride a supermoto and I'm rebuilding a 500cc cafe racer), but the RE is just pushing my limits I think....

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
The recession must have killed style and quality?

I've been thinking about a new desk chair as of late. My current one has both quality and style, but the ergonomics (or lack thereof) are catching up with me.

-Dave

DeaconKC

One Too Many
Okay, I will go with fountain pens. Mont Blanc has let their quality control slip from many reports, but Pelikan, Waterman and Lamy are still building superb pens. On the USA front, Shaeffer and Cross still make excellent pens with excellent nibs. And there are several companies making the finest inks we've ever had.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy