Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
5413860006_77bef9ab4b_b.jpg

Only a couple of days a year when it's cold enough to wear this... Ukrainian mink, handmade in the old country by my friend's, friend's friend's mother.

mink1.jpg

mink2.jpg

for some reason, it makes Harry howl.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Now that is one toasty looking lid you have there Alan.:eusa_clap Absolutely perfect for the snow. Your back yard looks exactly like what my Pop's backyard looked like when he was growing up on Jamaica Long Island in the 1930's, even with the snow. The houses are a tad larger looking but very similar.
Well done on the outdoor composition of the photos too. :eusa_clap

Cheers!

Dan

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Now that is one toasty looking lid you have there Alan.:eusa_clap Absolutely perfect for the snow. Your back yard looks exactly like what my Pop's backyard looked like when he was growing up on Jamaica Long Island in the 1930's, even with the snow. The houses are a tad larger looking but very similar.
Well done on the outdoor composition of the photos too. :eusa_clap

Cheers!

Dan

+1 on all the good stuff.

I love that the Buffalo/Rochester area is so similar to the Cleveland/Akron area - same downtowns, same working class and upper crust neighborhoods (though some of those Victorians in Rochester are incredible), and the same people. When I'm there, it feels like home - but with new shops and restaurants.

Last edited:
Based on liner I guess 60's era for this hat, crown is 5 1/2 bashed, brim is 2 3/4. It's a loose 7, so I had to put some stuffing in for a better fit. Color is what I would call "putty", kind of a gray-green. Don't know if that would have been considered silver belly or something else.
pw015-4.jpg

pw013-4.jpg

Here are some interior photos.

Nice furry hat, Alan, looks warm.

Like your new Borso, MV!

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
That's nice and clean looking Hatophile! Looks like it didn't get a lot of wear.:eusa_clap
Looks similar to my Open Road as it has the OR logo at the front of the sweatband. Mine came from Pomeroy's in Mesa, AZ and I think it is from the mid to late 60's.

Cheers!

Dan

Last edited:

rlk

I'll Lock Up
For all you Stetson daters...remember I have a Chestnut St. Store Hat from 1964 with the black rectangular tag that came after the keyhole.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks. I wonder what the age on my Borso is? All the benchmarks for Stetson don't help me date the Borso!! It has the feel of one at least from the 60s. But maybe it's from the 50s?

My way to eyeball it, apart from the dimensions of the hat, is to focus on the ribbon. In what decade, or part of a decade, would a wide brown ribbon on a light-colored hat most likely have been in style? I don't know the answer, but that's how I would go about it. Contemporary styles usually aim for a very specific "look of the year" to differentiate new items from last year's, and the year before. Yes, there are a few evergreen classic styles, like the pinstripe suit, but I would bet that most hats go into a style cycle of one or two years. Someone familiar with styles in those years could probably provide a good guess as to the age of that hat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy