Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

T Rick

Practically Family
I'm aware of all that. But it's still a Star of David and a swastika next to each other
True, it is. And I wasn't meaning to imply any specific person's lack of knowledge on the subject, just trying to be sure all who read that were aware of the symbol's history, as here in the 'States it seems many folks are unaware of it's history (I was, until finding this information on another site some time ago). Some things that are general knowledge in other parts of the world seem to be passed by here.

True, it is. And I wasn't meaning to imply any specific person's lack of knowledge on the subject, just trying to be sure all who read that were aware of the symbol's history, as here in the 'States it seems many folks are unaware of it's history (I was, until finding this information on another site some time ago). Some things that are general knowledge in other parts of the world seem to be passed by here.

Similar symbols can also be seen in Native American usage.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Cavanagh Milan

P1020511.JPG

delectans

Call Me a Cab
Al, Really enjoyed the cycling race montage! Also the Panama and food looks fantastic!

Thanks, Steve! The food was, as always at Luci, sublime...

Very nice action shots there, Al. Nice control of the depth of field and some cool panning thrown in as well.

Thank you, David, I really appreciate your kind words!

Hey Al, I noticed you weren't wearing a bike helmet and racing. Maybe next year, eh? Nice pics, the food makes me hungry. You always have good food in your travelogues.:D

Thanks, Perry! I think my days of racing are in the past...too little time for training, and too much at stake with family and work. To think that my teammates and I used to dart behind and draft unsuspecting VW buses( back before there were minivans :)) at highway speeds up and down Pacific Coast Highway, wearing only leather hairnets on our melons!

Al-- amazing photos! But-- hat on during supper at Luci Ancora?:eek:
(Just kidding around, of course)

Thanks, Jeff, and you will have to pardon my egregious transgression of proper hat and dining etiquette for the sake of the photo op! Rest assured, however, that the lid was on my noggin only for the picture! Besides, since we had the restaurant to ourselves that night there would not have been anyone except the staff( whom we know well), to have been offended by such a breach of decorum. ;)

Last edited:

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Al; Thanks for sharing your pics of the local races. I love the cycle races. I look forward each year to the Tour De France and marvel at the athletisism. Like you I raced in the past. Glorious times. I loved the training. It sounds like I was a lower ranked cycle racer, a Cat.3. In the late 80's and 90's I raced with a pro card in the Tri-Fed and immediately benefited from my USCF experiences.

Now on the helmet (hat) issue. I started with "hairnets," and was around for the mandated "hard hat" requirment. Long ago, my new bride's enforced her rules- wear a hard hat! She did not want me to be injured - smart woman, a keeper!

Short hard hat story; First season of hard hat wearing I was at the Chicago Tri as a newby pro. Average time out of water, put me in the hole and I needed a fast time on the cycle to put me in a place to contend for a paycheck. I got on my cycle well and started out quickly. Spectators, I sumised, were cheering and yelling. I calculated that the helicopter(media) was close and folks were excited for the anticipation of a hard fought race. I got out on the course perhaps only 10 minutes before I started getting a big headache. Hurt and then my vision started changing - I was really confused as I was well trained and not hardly fatigued. I just had to stop. Hard as all get out to slow and twist a foot out of the pedals. I got my foot on the ground, loosened my "hard hat." All changed - I discovered that I was wearing my "hard hat" backwards. Duh! No wonder folks were pointing and yelling! Embarassed and chagrined at a rookie error, I got back on the saddle and rode like a mad man. One of my best times in this shorter type of Tri (1/2 Ironman distance). Motivated by my error, I did finish with a paycheck and pleased my sponsors with my cycle efforts.

Thanks for sharing and putting those enjoyable memories fresh in my mind this morning. Al, best wishes for a happy 4th for you, your family and certainly your magnificent straw hats.

Eric -

Last edited:

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I am breaking in my new (to me) cattleman, so I have been wearing it all week, and will be wearing it this weekend when I head up to Gettysburg.
Photo3-1.jpg

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I am breaking in my new (to me) cattleman, so I have been wearing it all week, and will be wearing it this weekend when I head up to Gettysburg.
Photo3-1.jpg

Looks GOOD on ya !!! Now take it out and give it a few dunkings in a stock tank as mine has had and take the liner out and it will be PERFECT :) That crease you have it in now looks GREAT on you :)

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Thanks.
Interestingly enough, this hat does not have a liner, just the crown sticker like my AU model Squatter. I am not sure whether this is the US or AU model of the cattleman though.

Brando11

A-List Customer
That's the 1st Wall Street I've seen- Wow! That's one helluva hat!

Is that color Pecan with a dark brown ribbon? It looks just terrific-

-Brando

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo