Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great line-up today... love 'em all.

I wore my lighter than air Royal Stetson DeLuxe Vita-Felt.

071811.jpg

Sun safari

Apologies in advance for the bad hats in this post... but it was a good adventure. Donna and I drove 55 miles north and east to the shore of Lake Ontario above Lyndonville, NY. to catch the International Space Station silhouetted in front of the sun. I've done this in the past, but never convinced my wife to join me. These events are not that rare, but the visibility line is narrow - a few thousand feet on either side of the centerline... and this was the last chance to see the ISS with a space shuttle in tow.

The drive was beautiful through cherry orchards and some Amish farmland. It was HOT... I wore my Tilley sweating hat. It goes in the washing machine.

settingup.jpg

I'm not very good company preparing to take pictures underneath the solar cloth. Donna is a costume designer - I've got the only solar cloth that is polar fleece on one side and silver lame on the other.

cloth.jpg

Grace Nicolia graciously allowed us to set up on her property. I have to send her a print... she doesn't use email.

grace.jpg

The transit lasts about half a second... video is the only way to catch it. Here is the picture (also here on my website with some info on the equipment linked below.)

ISStransit071611.jpg

By the time the gear was stowed we were both schvitzing. A stop for ice cream helped.

donna.jpg

The next day it was back to work painting Lily's bedroom. Wore my vintage Long Island Janitor Supply painting hat.

painting.jpg

Thank you. The photo taking is pretty quick - 2 minutes of video recording to make sure I catch the half second event. The photo processing takes a while, but gets done in the comfort of home.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
I agree. I understand why hats have the bow on the other side when taking a photo in the mirror but why are these reversed?

Reversed image;

reverse-M.jpg

Apologies for the consternation the reversed image, from my MacBook-Photo Booth software, evidently caused.

Suited, CBoy and others; I hope my showing the pic is not mis-understood. Actually I believed that I might be more normal in my desire to clean and prep my hats. In fact we all know it is easier to work a bunch of hats after getting the tools ready. This post was not an attempt to stage a pic for anyother reason other than to document what I was wearing. It is not withn my conservative, MN. Scandianavian up-bringing to brag or use the photo other than what it was - showing hat playtime.

Guys, I speak to my wife about my hat purchases. We have come to a mutual agreement reguarding interests/hobbies. I understand my side to be complete disclosure, considerate compassion to her and her desires/needs and the ability to sate my activities within the stated boundaries. That said....she laughed when she saw me steaming and molding hats - she said that I was playing with my hats. I had to laugh with her, as from her point of view I was indeed "playing with my hats." In turn, she went to her hobby room later last night and played with her sewing equipment. Wisely I did not visit and point out her playtime. I am old and am inclined to act wiser.

Anywho, here is the reversed image. (For the hatophille's in the room; The pic, besides the introduced Open Roads, has a couple of Adam's, a Lee, Stetson Whippet straw and a Borso. these were hats that I have worn recently and just need some work/drying out. )

Eric -

Last edited:

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Beautiful images, Al and Alan. Wonderful outings, too.

Alas, I have no images, but had the pleasure of wearing my Dobbs Milan while picking up trash from 6pm-midnight (in 95 degree, extremely humid weather, I might add) at the Sioux Falls Jazzfest in order to help raise funds for my daughters' cheerleading team.
Interestingly, there were rather numerous straws around-- mostly cuencas, a few Milans, and a coconut or two. That, in addition to the dozens of youngens who apparently believed they were Charlie Sheen...!

And unfalteringly, the Jazzfest had about as much to do with jazz as Metallica does with country music.

delectans

Call Me a Cab
Splendid hats one and all today, gents!

Eric: A beautiful photo of some magnificent hats! I really enjoy reading your detailed descriptions and observations.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Eric: A beautiful photo of some magnificent hats! I really enjoy reading your detailed descriptions and observations.

Thanks sir. Compliment turned back to you - GRAND MN north shore photo expo. We were in Duluth, Two Harbors for the Duluth Dog Show and a visit to Russ Kendall's Smoked Fish House treats on Saturday this past weekend. The weather was superb at Lake Superior's water edge.

Eric -

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
This pic goes back a ways, 1976 to be exact. Is of me and my daughter after her winning her first blue ribbon at the Big D Charity Horse show in the Bi-Centenial Lead-Line class. She rode my old Roan Tennessee Walking horse and as we all know, everybody in that class gets a blue ribbon :) Her mother made her costume for her and I'm wearing my first Panama I bought, a Wormser. Was a good hat as I recall, wore it for showing Saddle Horses for several years.

1976.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart