Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

memphislawyer

Practically Family
Eric and David, your hats always look good on you. And the guy from Mexico. Eric, I am seriously thinking of getting a thin ribbon on the hat I am getting made at Buckaroo. It is in Silverbelly, which Major tells me is more blue leaning than to the brown side, which is a great bit of news. I was thinking of a casual hat, with a ribbon that has no bow but had like arrows on the side. Trim the hat in a matching silverbelly ribbon and maybe a light or smoke grey hat ribbon, but now I am thinking of a ribbon more like Eric's in the same color.

I have found that the 2 to 2 1/8 inch brim is probably it for me on a felt hat. Oh, and a lower crown. My wife thought that the high crown, the brim size and the color of my Akubra Stylemaster in fawn/acorn was all wrong. I think trying on hats with Major confirmed that, but boy, it was fun to see myself in some western type hats. I see the open roads, think of LBJ and wish I could do that but I tend to be more formal in dress, even when casual.

Anyway, I enjoy looking at the threads on TAR. I have WAR on my Stetson Saxon and the Bailey Yates has a medium ribbon. TAR in a complimentary color seems to be my current leaning and understated rather than over stated. Major said go with 2 1/8 and he can trim it down if it looks too big. We started getting to 2 /1/2 and you would think that 1/8th of an inch does not make a difference but it does

Block Maker

New in Town
Hello all, First post for me in this section! This is an old standby for me on these cooler days. I made this Stingy out of 100% moss green rabbit with black ribbon and a hand sewn bound edge.

SAM_0618_zps0036c346.jpg

Cheers!

delectans

Call Me a Cab
Today, my charcoal gray 1960s-era Borsalino Savoy:

Looks like a very nice hat, Paul.

Al, sharp photos, sharp hats and damn sharp looking Al!

You are the best, Manfred! :first: I am not just saying that, for I believe you have not missed acknowledging a single person posting photos in this thread for quite some time now. Thanks again, my friend! :yo:

Good morning folks. The humid, cloudy 20'F morning weather chilled me during my outside chores.

Best, Eric -

(Hated in my vtg. Stratoliner in cadet blue. )

Your beautiful Cadet Blue Stratoliner is the envy of all, but not your perpetual chores!

A smaller-brimmed Stetson today. Can't wait for the days when I have a variety of vintage hats to wear!

We all look forward to seeing you add to your collection, Aaron. Nice lid today!

Hello all, First post for me in this section! This is an old standby for me on these cooler days. I made this Stingy out of 100% moss green rabbit with black ribbon and a hand sewn bound edge.

Cheers!

Welcome, Block Maker, hope to see you posting more of your work in this forum.

You are the best, Manfred! :first: I am not just saying that, for I believe you have not missed acknowledging a single person posting photos in this thread for quite some time now. Thanks again, my friend! :yo:

That is a great observation with well deserved praise and appreciation!. Thanks from me as well, Manfred.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Good afternoon. Before heading out I waundered out lakeside to investigate a curious noise. Low and behold our local Piliated Woodpecker was feeding.

I put down my hat and worked the camera.
IMG_3924-M.jpg

The bird was in the tree just beyond my hat.
IMG_3921-M.jpg

Busy time of the year for humans and woodpeckers alike. Best, Eric -

Last edited:

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Your beautiful Cadet Blue Stratoliner is the envy of all, but not your perpetual chores!

Al; Thanks. Using the word "chore" is my way of describing work outside in posting on the Fedora Forum. Chores do not have to be despised. In fact, I look forward to most of my chores. Great pics sir. You manage to show much of the best of the MPLS/St.Paul area in your adventure pics. I look forward to exploring my backyard via your pics. Best to you and family.

M-Lawyer; Thanks for the compliment. Many days I would politely argue with you about the quality of my pics and hat wearing ability. Posting on the Fedora Lounge, has made me pay a bit closer attention to what attire and hat I wear. My wife and friends have noticed and have generally voiced appreciation. A very good outcome! Over the past 2 years I have found, more or less, my comfort in selection of hats. Interestingly, as I have found my comfort zone, in hats, I have greatly expanded my options. Thin to wider ribbons, in a variety of felt colors, are all worn. I feel fortunate to have options. Good luck in your hat hunting.

Eric -

Last edited:

Lotsahats

One Too Many
Eric, great shot--and the perfect hat for the weather!

What a sweet-looking lid, Block Maker. You must have had some training or practice!

Manfred, Al, and Alan--you represent to me the best spirit of the Lounge: thoughtful, helpful, and welcoming.

Aaron

Block Maker

New in Town
Thanks guys for the kind words...more pics to come of other hats I have made for myself! I have been dabbling with making hats for a few years...I have learned a lot the hard way. I poked around the net for info and there is very little...so it was trial and error but I feel like I am going in the right direction. I enjoy taking a few items and making them into something. The easiest part is the sewing...years and years of sewing and lacing projects...out of necessity and that has helped a lot!

More to come.......

Last edited:

Samuel

Practically Family
:eusa_clap Yes, I am. I found it in impeccable condition at a thrift store for ten USA dollars. I'm thinking of letting Art Fawcett change the ribbon to a 16 ligne Aster color. Any ideas?
BobbyBlue-vi.jpg

Last edited:

Samuel

Practically Family
No doubt, I was like a kid in a candy store! I picked it up and would not let go of it. Cant get deals like that very often, especially on one that fits perfectly at first try. :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot