Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
pw039.jpg

Rene Menard chapeau.

memphislawyer

Practically Family
My wife did not like the choice of hat for today. I have a few all grey suits and sometimes, I think that my only other nice hat, a caribou-colored Stetson Saxon, is too much grey and too matchy-matchy. She thinks that the crown is too tall and between that and the thin ribbon, gives it a western flair which is not my personality. I love the felt and thought I would get comments here:

photo3-3.jpg

photo4-1.jpg

photo2-4.jpg

Here is a prior wearing of the hat

photo2-3.jpg

This is me in the Stetson:

photo9-1.jpg

She thinks that the Stetson gives it a more dressy, 30's-40's look ala Bogart, though the style may not be what he would wear but it gives her, in her mind's eye, the look that a traditional fedora would.

The crown is 4 1/2. Think I can get it rebashed or would a new ribbon help or leave it alone?

Last edited:
ML
I think the higher crown looks good. I have hats with wide and thin ribbons but I really like the thin ribbon hats.
Admittedly, I think of the thin ribbons as more "casual", but yours actually looks good with the suit. I would agree that a wider ribbon in general looks better with a suit.
I think you could easily handle a taller crown wider brim hat with at wider ribbon, such as a Fed IV or similar, that would look more formal with your suits.

ML
I think the higher crown looks good. I have hats with wide and thin ribbons but I really like the thin ribbon hats.
Admittedly, I think of the thin ribbons as more "casual", but yours actually looks good with the suit. I would agree that a wider ribbon in general looks better with a suit.
I think you could easily handle a taller crown wider brim hat with at wider ribbon, such as a Fed IV or similar, that would look more formal with your suits.

I like the Silverbelly with the darker grey & think the same hat in a Dove color would be good for that lighter grey suit.
Hat dimensions look spot on. Maybe go for a mid-ribbon with the Dove version....

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Nice lids to start the morning, David and Perry!
Perry-- you are the king of the up-flange with the down-swoop. I love it! How in the world do you get them to stay that way?

memphislawyer-- this is definitely the place to come for favorable comments about taller crowns and thin ribbons-- we definitely know what we're talking about! ;) If it makes you feel any better, my wife says she doesn't like my hat-- no matter what hat I'm wearing-- unless it's a baseball cap.

Wow Jeff, that is a W-I-D-E brim!

Wow, that is wide, I thought my Stage Coach hat was as wide as them come, until seeing this shot! Nice, looks like a really clean blem free hat, too!

Believe it or not, I've actually trimmed about a half an inch off this brim!

It started this way. It had a certain charm. Maybe I should have left it alone.

009xmj.jpg

Then it went to this Gus style:

megahat009.jpg

very briefly to this:

megahattelescopecrease0.jpg

and then has remained in the diamond telescope pictured yesterday...

Last edited:

memphislawyer

Practically Family
Guys, thanks. Major Mike said the same thing. He said he sees it all the time, women just don't like the hats that the men pick out as they are used to seeing baseball caps. Now that I put my mind to it, she just about hated all the hats when she did go with me to Mr. Hats in Memphis, though she did warm up to the Stetson Saxon. Mike told me to pull up my big boy pants, and I agree

That is why I went to Mike, being an hour drive or so, since he had all the experience and I could see in person what did and did not work and see the ribbon treatments. Maybe others, and the more experienced can order off the net, but I can't. Come to think of it, I have not gotten even ties that have been 100% liked. My Akubra Stylemaster was too big. Being able to have Mike guide me was so invaluable. Every tie or suit or combo i get compliments on are things she picked out. I do overrule her but I for the life of me can not pick out a tie in a shop and wonder if it will work with a suit, unless i have a white shirt and solid blue or grey suit. but the suit i have on today, Id have to wear it to a mens store and get someone to help. was not born with that jean. and so many times she has laughed at what I put on so I just defaulted and let her pick out stuff.

Anyway, glad to know the color works and the ribbon. Yeah, I might go dove or silvermist or a lighter granite for the next one, but the only niggling thought in my head was not the color or the ribbon size (yes, I could have gone a tad bigger but if I did, it might have been too dressy for casual stuff and this ribbon configuration seems to get it, maybe not full on dress like a wider ribbon but not out of place either, good call) but the crown height maybe given it a western flair but no one said it did so I am good to go.

Thanks for letting me know that the guidance and my personal thoughts were that this is one nice hat.

Jeff,
Basically the hat is doing what it wants. I considered training the brim down, but because it's a wider brim I thought it looked better up. Byt the way, I like the gus crease the best on that hat.

ML, Tom Dean has a good point, you could even go with a mid-size ribbon to dress up the hats a bit. I think once your wife gets used to the fedoras she will warm up to them, mine has.

memphislawyer

Practically Family
RBH, I have learned when to keep my mouth shut and sit down and not piss off a judge. So I am being seated as I type this.

I did get to see Mike's Moorelite and I think it was a 7 1/2 but I liked its style and proportions. Could see that as my next hat but he doesnt do the lites anymore. I wont be selling my Stetson, but I always pop it out and feel it compared to Mike's and the texture on Mike's is so good, lighter, smoother.

Oh, by the way, he did let me feel vintage and modern ribbon and you can feel that the vintage is a nicer hand and heft to it.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
The rain has let up for the past 2 hours. More rain expected today with snow and cold for the weekend. North of us has been warned to expect blizzard conditions. This warmth should make for a messy transision back to snow. Out bird watching in my VS Dove w/charcoal ribbon hat.

IMG_4214-M.jpg

Best, Eric -

Last edited:

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
Tom, good choice for hunting, both hats are great.

David, a charming hat your Sahara, I think you get a lot of compliments!

Perry, Rene Menard, is it a French or Canadian hat maker. Fantastic shape!

Memphis, love that hat, you look very good with him also in combination with your suit!

Jeff, that is a funny hat, a hat with 1000 faces! Looking good the new shape!

Eric, that is one of your best hats, a real stunner your dove!

Monk, sharp Fed, color and shape works very well for you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart