Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A&A... way to wear a brim with attitude. :eusa_clap

Handsome Sportlite and whonderful Whippet. Special props to the fine breakfast essay by Andy and the piecrust cap by David (and Jonathan).

Anybody catch the War of the Worlds anniversary documentary on PBS last night? I know the guy who did the mars photos.

I'll probably never have a real Whippet, Perry, (yours is absolutely amazing today)) but here's one of the closest I own... a Mohave VS

Thanks for the great comments recently gentlemen.

Glad you like that one, Hamilcar, thank you! It's definitely one for the right occasion. Your Sportlite is Fantastic today!!

David that may be a new favorite cap... some seriously super sewing, sir!

A&A That's a sa-WEET one you have on today (yesterday)!

Andy, my friend, superb choices today, especially breakfast (but where's the lox?) :p

Last edited:

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Who needs a whippet when you have a VS like that Charlie?

The Anasazi seems appropriate considering your interest in native american art Andy. Very nice.

Elosegui plato grande
IMG_9603.JPG
IMG_9606.JPG

Orangegrad

Practically Family
Who needs a whippet when you have a VS like that Charlie?

The Anasazi seems appropriate considering your interest in native american art Andy. Very nice.

Elosegui plato grande
IMG_9603.JPG
IMG_9606.JPG

That's a GREAT cap. With my very narrow face, I feel uncomfortable with anything even remotely wide. I'd love to be able to wear a cap like this.

Yes, the Anasazi will be one of the hats I take when my wife and I visit Pueblo country in New Mexico in late December.

Stuffsmith

Fedora Lounge Artisan
Casechopper, your look is totally made for that cap. You could be Van Eyck or Vermeer with the beard/beret balance. Beautiful.

Andy, I think you might be surprised, regarding your staying away from a wider cap. Not Case's wide, but a medium diameter might suit you surprisingly well. We both have narrow faces, not dissimilar, really. It's all in the cut if the cap - and of course, your willingness to wear it.

Think back to your early days wearing fedoras, guys - surely some of you felt unsure or self-conscious? You have to make peace with the look and the resulting confidence makes the hat fit, as it were.

Keith

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Andy: Both of those look fine to me. The B! wear draped to the left as you have it is a bit more out of the norm than the way you're wearing the Capas. It would draw a bit more attention but there isn't anything wrong with the look.

Orangegrad

Practically Family
Andy: Both of those look fine to me. The B! wear draped to the left as you have it is a bit more out of the norm than the way you're wearing the Capas. It would draw a bit more attention but there isn't anything wrong with the look.

Here's another photo of the B! Wear with a more traditional drape. I have to say, the beard makes a huge difference in how comfortable I feel wearing these. The beard widens my face and eliminates some of the angles.

View attachment 5609

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Keith - our faces are quite similar in regards to shape. You pull off caps quite well. I need to rethink this - but they have to be the right caps.

Below are a couple caps that I own. I'd appreciate all thoughts on whether either cap below is flattering, or if both should find a new home.

B! Wear
View attachment 5607

Capas
View attachment 5608
I have to agree with Stuffsmith. He told you the same thing I've been saying to you all along. It's all in the cut of the cap and it's something you can definitely pull off, with or without the beard. You need to get a cap that has a shape to it. Something more traditional looking like this City Sport from Village Hat Shop. It's definitely better than what you'd get from Hat People. I never did care much for their caps....

http://www.villagehatshop.com/product/newsboy-caps/451139-75577/city-sport-caps-donegal-tweed-large-herringbone-newsboy-cap.html

Here I am wearing a City Sport cap...
View attachment 5610

Last edited:

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
Great hats, guys!

Alan, that is a stunning Stetson, wow, you have a fine nose for those exclusive hats!

AnA, great Champ with a special shape, looks good!

Hamilcar, sharp Stetson!

David, a Cap works great for you. Lovely work from Jonathan.

Andy, that Anaszasi has a fine color and shape. Stands you great!

Perry, well dressed with the Whippet and suit, sharp dude!

Charlie, your VS is as good as a Whippet, Mayser, Wegner or whatever. Thumbs up!

Sam, that is a killer Beret. I know I have said it in the past but that is my first thought if I see it!

Orangegrad

Practically Family
I have to agree with Stuffsmith. He told you the same thing I've been saying to you all along. It's all in the cut of the cap and it's something you can definitely pull off, with or without the beard. You need to get a cap that has a shape to it. Something more traditional looking like this City Sport from Village Hat Shop. It's definitely better than what you'd get from Hat People. I never did care much for their caps....

View attachment 5610

TJones - I just ordered this cap: http://www.villagehatshop.com/show_product/451139-75625

They didn't have the one you suggested in my size. This one looks very similar, just a slightly different color. If I look half as good as you do in yours, I'll be a happy camper. Thanks for the tip (which I should have paid attention to earlier).

John Galt

Vendor
Busy morning. I'm getting my burglary tools together & hacking Alan's photos to try to find the GPS coordinates buried in his metadata, while wearing my Nutria Quality Stetson cowboy hat.

sepequha.jpg

"Faint hat never won fair lady."

Funny! I've often wondered where is John Galt?

I'll make it easier for you... it's the scariest house on the block:

103013.jpg

Borsalino Ludoela - on the early side:

borsale1.jpg

borsale6.jpg

No clue on the color name, which is a tobacco brown.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
casechopper: That beret is absolute gorgeous! And you wear it as was it made for you :eusa_clap

Andy: In my eyes you are right: The Capas looks a lot better with the beard. Not that you need a beard to wear caps, but in this case it does you well.

Maybe you pull the excess fabric too far down in the sides. Both Keith's and JT's caps are a lot flatter in the top - especially compared to your other cap. Try to push up the crown a bit ... my guess is, that it would look a lot better(?) I really hope the new attempt will be a success :)

Orangegrad

Practically Family
Alan - each day it's another entry into the parade of amazing fedoras.

I too wondered "Who is John Galt?" My college-age daughter and I are the only two people we know who have actually read the book, though I'm sure there must be others. At least I'm imagining you and our own John Galt have worked your way through it (the John Galt 20 page monologue was a bit tedious...).

Before my daughter went to college, we had a father/daughter reading list. We'd both read the same book (not necessarily at the same time) and compare notes. I miss those days.

She is now reading medieval Spanish (imagine reading Chaucer...only in Spanish). So, well, we don't read the same books any longer.

Last edited:
Alan - each day it's another entry into the parade of amazing fedoras.

I too wondered "Who is John Galt?" My college-age daughter and I are the only two people we know who have actually read the book, though I'm sure there must be others. At least I'm imagining you and our own John Galt have worked your way through it (the John Galt 20 page monologue was a bit tedious...).

Before my daughter went to college, we had a father/daughter reading list. We'd both read the same book (not necessarily at the same time) and compare notes. I miss those days.

She is now reading medieval Spanish (imagine reading Chaucer...only in Spanish). So, well, we don't read the same books any longer.

Thanks Andy... this is one of my favs - usually worn brim up but adapted today for Rusty.

I found The Fountainhead a good read in high school. Atlas Shrugged... well, it was the 60s and my heart and mind wandered elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skipbarnes