Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strapped-4-Cache

One Too Many
Don't spend too much today, my friend!

This comment made me laugh. I was at the office by 7:00 this morning and will be here until after 5:30. Funny thing about working for a payroll company - people still expect to get paid, even on a holiday weekend. ESPECIALLY on a holiday weekend. I might hit an auto parts store tonight to get a trickle charger for my in-laws' van since it's been sitting idle in the cooler weather, but there's no way I'm going to any big box stores today. None of the "bargains" offered are worth it.

I hear that loud and clear.

Sam the Max is tremendous. Love to see that special and beautiful bow. The Kromer was a HOMER yesterday... fantastic!

Richard you never cease to amaze with your variety of excellent lids! The brown Coke really rocks.

B-Man you looked very mellow yesterday. The Tummy's SPECTACULAR... Great hats, pics!

Joao, that's one BIG Resistol... a Beauty!

MMBarnes, I now look forward to your happy countenance daily... and your hats are always jaw-dropping.

Che that Dobbs is SUPER SWEET, my friend! And my other friend, Gabe (in my last photo post, above) has firmly decided that he, too, is a "brim up" man. Thought you'd like to know... :eusa_clap

Howardeye, as always, you look quite distinguished in the Lord's hat.

TomB you look like for you prepped a serious day of "contact shopping," handsomely protected by your Fed IV!

Mike(spens) you have ARRIVED, man! You just have such Youthful Smartness in the Mallory Premium! Great "Pendletone" jacket, too!

Eric good grab of the green, sir! Agreed, that color begs to be out and about with you. The whiskers are really filling in. Makes me wonder how Lefty's doing for Movember!

Last edited:

Lotsahats

One Too Many
Sam, I love that bow.

Manfred, as always, you are a true gentlemen with your acknowledgements. Thanks for adding so much gemütlichkeit to the board!

A

mmbarnes

I'll Lock Up
Great hats over the holiday.

Love the family shots hatsRme. And thanks for the compliment.

Going with the Knox Premier Fifth Avenue on this blustery Black Friday. Too bad I'm at work. But work is better than shopping, that's for sure.
arajusat.jpg
y2u2e8up.jpg

Enjoy.

A day without a hat is like night.

Matt

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Strapped, looks good on you the Churchill, a nice hat!

Charlie, great pics, great hats and a great day for you!

Aaron, black hats are always difficult to photograph!

Sam, that looks like a cold day, nice Cap!

Jeff, I like how you chill, great photos!

Bert, a classy Homburg for the work on the guitar!

Che, a good choice your Dobbs, very sharp!

Matt, sharp lid, looks great on you!

Joao, nice Backdrop for a noggin shot, love your Buckskin!

Eric, I see a beard, looks great, also great your VS!

Mike, sharp Mallory with brilliant colors!

Tom, well dressed with your Fed!

Quoted for truth :)

ManofKent

Sweet Fed. I really love that brown bowler you wore yesterday. I keep looking and looking for a 7 3/8 vintage brown bowler that is in really good shape. Incredibly hard hat to find.

Matt

Matt - that one is a modern Christys'. I searched for ages for a decent vintage brown one in a UK 7 1/2 and eventually admitted temporary defeat. This one is wool (Christys stopped production of the brown fur-felt ones about 2yrs ago, and I could only find old-stock in small sizes), having said that it's a pretty hard shelled bowler, holds up to the rain well, and the slight fuzziness works well with tweed...

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Family at the outlet mall gives me a chance to catch up on emails and the FL

Borsalino Pesca on a cold but very bright day

smugshot_9219277-L.jpg

mmbarnes

I'll Lock Up
Matt - that one is a modern Christys'. I searched for ages for a decent vintage brown one in a UK 7 1/2 and eventually admitted temporary defeat. This one is wool (Christys stopped production of the brown fur-felt ones about 2yrs ago, and I could only find old-stock in small sizes), having said that it's a pretty hard shelled bowler, holds up to the rain well, and the slight fuzziness works well with tweed...

ManofKent - It's definitely a nice looking hat. If I cannot satisfy my vintage bowler greed soon, I probably will follow your lead. I'm glad to read that the wool construction works well. Too bad that they fazed out a fur felt bowler. I bet that was very sharp. Enjoy.

Matt

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Good Afternoon Gents! Take a few days off and look what I missed! All you guys are looking great as usual!
Lotsahats, I love the backdrop with the Menorah!
hatsRme, Great looking family my friend! As usual, you showcase a nice lid!
Richard, My friend, you must be the classiest and most dapper guy across the pond! Nice hats!
Strapped-4-Cache, The Churchill is nice!
casechopper, Unique ribbon work.
mmbarnes, Looking good in the Knox! Love the back bow!

Today on this chilly but sunny afternoon I'm wearing my most recent purchase...another Stetson Open Road! 4X, this time though....this one I'm not too happy with. It's from at least the 1970's after Stetson sold out. The downgrade in quality is evident in this hat compared to the earlier ORs I have. While the 4X felt body is still nice, the crown tapers more on this one, (even looks as though it was made on a different block), and the leather sweat is subpar compared to the older Open Roads, stiffer and uncomfortable, and there's no clear plastic over the logo as there was on the earlier ones...Actually, I would consider any OR made in the 1970s and beyond to be just subpar reproductions and not real Stetsons...although it is a point of interest to compare with older Stetsons.

f1pi.jpg

ManofKent

David - great looking Borso (p.s. keep the 'tache for a while :) )

Matt - they've fazed out the wool felt Christys' bowlers too, but there are still a few knocking around. There are other wool brown bowlers being made, but I don't know of anyone making a current production fur-felt one, although I expect you could get one custom made.

TJones - I'll have to take your word on the quality, but aesthetically it still looks pretty good.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Your expression reflects your disappointment with the hat. Still, it looks fine in the picture.
Thanks S-4-C. Actually though, as forum members will attest, my expression is the same for all my pictures! I look this way when I'm happy too! Anyway, what I'm really trying to do here is get a discussion going, or possibly some thoughts, on the changes to Stetson's quality after it sold out to another company in the early 1970s. While I'm disappointed with the hat, it has sparked my interest in how older Stetsons compare to the reproductions prior to selling out. As far as the hat itself goes, I'm thinking of keeping it and having it reworked.

Rogera

Charlie that "family in hats" shot is great!

T Jones I think that is a pretty sharp looking lid with that crease and brim swoop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy