Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Moss Green Stetson Downs

I decided that the thing I really dislike about modern Stetson fedoras is not the felt quality, color, or even the workmanship. It's the factory crease. It's simply too low. So I went to the HATCO Outlet and bought the two best felts I could find in my size, steamed out the factory crease, and reblocked them with a taller crown. The first one is a moss green Stetson Downs. (Morris Minor in the background)
3271402195_b83a68229e.jpg
3272238100_934f10d2a2.jpg

carter

I'll Lock Up
Image Schmimage

I changed my avatar because CJ likes that picture! Scotrace does too! :p :D

Gentlemen, Thanks for the positive comments. Wait'll you see the Temple. :)

kiltie

Practically Family
I skated by the description of the modern Stetson. It came out well! Do I understand that they reblocked in house? What'd that run? Some day I'll make the Hatco pilgrimage...

carter

I'll Lock Up
gtdean48 said:
There is a good word you don't here used much anymore. Dadblastit & Dadburnit are other ones. Kids today need to learn them!
Please add balderdash to that list. :)

Man, we are seriously :eek:fftopic:

carter

I'll Lock Up
kiltie said:
I skated by the description of the modern Stetson. It came out well! Do I understand that they reblocked in house? What'd that run? Some day I'll make the Hatco pilgrimage...
Technically speaking, they do not reblock at the HATCO Outlet but they do have an industrial strength steamer. I asked them to steam the crown open. Then I creased the crown and brim by hand and had them set the creases with a bit more steam. There is no charge but I always tip the fellow who does the steaming and brushing/cleaning.

Beats the dickens out of my tea kettle at home.

ps. I've been told that they may be raising the prices on Pinnacle and Sovereign quality felts at the Outlet.

Jabos

A-List Customer
I made laughing faces at Kabuto's question, so I will officially come forward and say the joke is on me for laughing-when it was essentially TRUE. Ha. Nice looking hat, by the way. :)

jec

One of the Regulars
carter said:
Never! lol lol lol

Here's an outdoor picture of the Stetson Downs so you get a better idea of the moss green color.

3272010075_fcc0934d05.jpg

Thanks for posting another photo of the Downs in better light. Now we can see the true shade.

Was the other hat -the Temple - in caribou?

carter

I'll Lock Up
jecoe@earthlink said:
Thanks for posting another photo of the Downs in better light. Now we can see the true shade.

Was the other hat -the Temple - in caribou?
The Temple is in Caribou. I'll post some pictures later. I also found a Pinnacle in black at HATCO today. It's been reblocked as well. It'll probably sit in the box until next winter.

gtd, What is this? The Avatar of the Day Club? :eek: lol lol lol Maybe I'll use that one tomorrow. ;) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn