Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dermotta Wien mid 1950s

22758463065_664e294d5d_c.jpg

22744983272_ebb603a894_c.jpg

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
Good one, hatsRme!
That's a wide brim, mayser. And a nice one at that.

After sweating up the Twenty Five, switched to my shortest brim, my new 60's era Dobbs. At 1 5/8", in Portugal this would be considred a negative brim, which in hat physics can actually cancel out nearby wider brims to preserve balance in the universe.

9e10eba5d36863b2d28d9b966019e02c.jpg
6ced16888df1ae2cd56bfff9c259f5fc.jpg

Not bad for 15 bucks!

GHT

I'll Lock Up
This morning I donned a Levine Hat finished Cavanagh (second, I assume) that coordinates reasonably with Miles' fur. Eeyuck! He's quite passionate.
hatsRme, you got it licked!
moehawk, The Stetson is a fine titfer. (Cockney rhyming slang: Titfer= tit for tat........hat.)
Moon, that 30's Marathon brings back memories. My grandfather always wore something similar. I love it.
1mach1 that solitary knox, looks like a set from a Jack Vettriano painting.
Stratcat, you should post more like that Campdraft.
Bob I'm loving the colour of that blue grass. And you wear it with panache my friend.
SBG that LA is the exact colour and style that I'm looking for to go with a new linen suit I've just bought. A link would be appreciated.
alanfgag The cool hat and the cool shades in a not so cool November. We are enjoying similar weather on our side of the pond.
Knotten, I hope you didn't wait too long, or get too wet waiting for that train. Great hat, great pose.
Lt. hats. You look seriously assertive in that Fed. Such a smart appearance that's all too sadly so rare nowadays.
GregNC A fine lid for a fine day. Is this weather crazy or what? Not unwelcome though.
Frunobulax Another great Stetson, (I would say that though, mine's Caribou too,) You are wearing shades too!
Esther You wear your hat with such style and flare. I love the maroon contrasting hatband.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
meyserwegener the Dermotta looks so sharp, it has a Homburg kind of appeal. A great looking hat. There's a thread about how folk react to your hats, well for all the negative remarks, I notice that this thread has had almost 14 million views, amazing.
My wife bought me a pair of authentic 1930's sun glasses. The frames are great but I'm going to have to change the lenses. Can't see a thing. My Henley Blazer matched with the Stetson caribou. Oh and those dodgy shades.

Charlie, Thanks! Your Levine Hat finished Cavanagh looks fantastic! Also really super photo! Brings a smile.

GHT, Thanks too! The Stetson Caribou looks great! Very stylish overall look!

Moehawk, Sharp looking Dobbs Twenty Five! I am a big fan of the form!

Dogman, Your David Morgan Adventurer is a great match for the fine weather!

GHT

I'll Lock Up
TY GHT. Just wondering...what is tat and where does one go to trade it in?
Tit for tat is an English saying dating from about 1556: from "tip for tap", meaning "blow for blow," i.e., retaliation in kind—or more broadly, an equivalent to an action given in return.
Tat also has various connotations, all of which mean cheap and nasty. We use the term rubbish instead of garbage but tat, in Britspeak, would be nearer to trash. For example:
"Amidst the detritus of old amplifiers, beaten up electric guitars and drum kits was a tatty white plastic bag." And to think we speak the same language.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
hatsRme, you got it licked!
moehawk, The Stetson is a fine titfer. (Cockney rhyming slang: Titfer= tit for tat........hat.)
Moon, that 30's Marathon brings back memories. My grandfather always wore something similar. I love it.
1mach1 that solitary knox, looks like a set from a Jack Vettriano painting.
Stratcat, you should post more like that Campdraft.
Bob I'm loving the colour of that blue grass. And you wear it with panache my friend.
SBG that LA is the exact colour and style that I'm looking for to go with a new linen suit I've just bought. A link would be appreciated.
alanfgag The cool hat and the cool shades in a not so cool November. We are enjoying similar weather on our side of the pond.
Knotten, I hope you didn't wait too long, or get too wet waiting for that train. Great hat, great pose.
Lt. hats. You look seriously assertive in that Fed. Such a smart appearance that's all too sadly so rare nowadays.
GregNC A fine lid for a fine day. Is this weather crazy or what? Not unwelcome though.
Frunobulax Another great Stetson, (I would say that though, mine's Caribou too,) You are wearing shades too!
Esther You wear your hat with such style and flare. I love the maroon contrasting hatband.
Thanks GHT!

Tit for tat is an English saying dating from about 1556: from "tip for tap", meaning "blow for blow," i.e., retaliation in kind—or more broadly, an equivalent to an action given in return.
Tat also has various connotations, all of which mean cheap and nasty. We use the term rubbish instead of garbage but tat, in Britspeak, would be nearer to trash. For example:
"Amidst the detritus of old amplifiers, beaten up electric guitars and drum kits was a tatty white plastic bag." And to think we speak the same language.

Excellent explanation!! Thank you for your earlier comment, and again here for this wonderful translation. You (and Mrs. GHT) really bring some fantastic new material to the conversations!!!

Moe, as GHT is a proper English gentleman, your humor went right under him, methinks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo