Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miamibruno

One Too Many
Mayser – Gorgeous velour. I have one similar, I think it’s 30’s, it is American made (Boston), but your felt seems smoother. I’ll try to post a picture or two later. My crown is unbelievably soft and blockable. Is yours the same?

Michaell – Welcome! What a beautiful color.

Hato – Beautiful as usual.

Esther – Great ribbon.

Strapped – Gorgeous hat. Whippet worthy.

Java – Sharp indeed. Very nice.

Dave – Wow. I am jealous. That is a stunning hat.

Nicely done, Fruno!

hatsRme – You look the part, brother. NYC is perfect for that hat.

Casechopper – Looks like Paris is the place for you (no intent to bring up the obvious horror that happened, just the art for which it is famous).

Mmbarnes – Very cool. Beautiful trim on that hat.

Mach1 – That hat can cut it’s so sharp.

For me, my favorite lid, a 40’s Champ.

Photo on 11-18-15 at 11.41 AM.jpg Photo on 11-18-15 at 11.41 AM #2.jpg

Knotten

Practically Family
Pandora, I LOVE Mallorys, and yours is beautiful, especially with that contrasting ribbon.
Moon, the Penman is awesome. I'm wearing mine again today. Didn't want to bore people with a photo similar to yesterday's.
Alan, what a gorgeous early Stetson.
Moehawk, you rock the stingies.

Too many other great hats to mention. Thanks for giving me a reason to goof off at work.

Mayser – Gorgeous velour. I have one similar, I think it’s 30’s, it is American made (Boston), but your felt seems smoother. I’ll try to post a picture or two later. My crown is unbelievably soft and blockable. Is yours the same?

Thanks! This one is not a floppy Velour. It has some stiffness but takes to hand shaping. I am not sure about the age. It could actually be from around WW1. I would like to see your American example. American Velours are a mystery to me. I have seen ads for them in The American Hatter but nothing about the process used. It would be interesting to know if any American hat company made manual (ended around WWII) or machine (not sure when or if this ended) hot wet brushed Velours like you see in Germany and Austria. I know many hat bodies and finished hats were exported by Austrian makers like JHS and BB.

Mayser - Here are a few pictures of the velour. Interestingly enough, it has the European size on it as well. Tell me what you think.

I found Moore - Smith Co. Boston was a wholesale house so my feeling is this hat was sourced from Europe. My guess would be a Austrian / Czechoslovakian hat company like JHS, AP or BB. The eagle in the Genuine Velour logo is very similar to some of the ones that appear in my recent liner plate collection (from the Czech Republic) that includes JHS, AP and BB. The whole situation back then was murky so hard to take things at face value. Here is an obit for Fitz Henry Smith one of the founders that apppeared in The American Hatter (1918).

https://books.google.com/books?id=XvlYAAAAYAAJ&dq=moore smith co. boston&pg=RA2-PA92#v=onepage&q=moore smith co. boston&f=false

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic