Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmbarnes

I'll Lock Up
thanks Greg ...
this one is special indeed and in amazing condition
I don't handle many of my hats with kid gloves ... but this one I do

that right there Matt is something you don't see everyday ... what an absolutely gem of a piece
the finish .... the pristine condition... that stitching !!!!

just an amazing piece to be absolutely proud of

green with envy over here in NJ
Thanks Ant. That's high praise from someone like yourself who has so many gorgeous pieces of art.

Peace, brother.

Be well... Be kind... Have fun!

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Ah, SatORday? I'll play with my 7XCB Open Road

3f0b63bc81c70e519d2489e96dbbc5d6.jpg

Cheers!
David

Happy Saturday to all.

After some lengthy, patient and bizarre exercises involving a hat stretcher, containers of water, towels, boxes and a heating pad I think that the 1940s teal Dobbs Game Bird may finally be coming to terms that with all of its original parts it WILL be a 7 1/4 and not a 7.

This one is the brother of the green Dobbs I wore a couple of days ago. I sent some pics of that one in action to the gentleman who sold them to me from his father's estate. It was touching to read how happy he was that the hat his father treasured lives on as a small part of his legacy.

I apologize in advance for the number of shots (probably more suited for the Dobbs thread), but as I often do, I love the way the different light plays on the hat.

I hope that each of you has a great day.

Stunning, Matt! And great story, to boot. I love to know the history of my hats. Not a bad job coaxing it up two sizes and keeping it intact. Must've took some patience and finesse.

Thanks, Jack. From this ad it looks like they produced a veritable rainbow of colors. View attachment 60017

It is good to see that folks like Art Fawcett are out there very successfully trying their hands at such variety.

What size do you wear? While I am generally trying to avoid the bay like the plague for financial reasons, when I do (guiltily) visit, I'll keep my eyes peeled for nifty creations to send your way for your consideration.
Enjoy.
I google "Dobbs Game Bird" from time to time to see what will come up but I don't have it set up with my sweeps. I've seen that ad before & I like some of the other colors too but that teal, with the stitching & the finish has to be tops! It looks especially good on you with your ginger beard coloring, I think.

I wear a 7-5/8 which makes the vintage situation even harder.

makitright

One of the Regulars
Well, a super SatORday it is! My NOS 3X OR... The size (again) makes it special!

View attachment 60019 View attachment 60020 View attachment 60021 View attachment 60022
Well, a super SatORday it is! My NOS 3X OR... The size (again) makes it special!

View attachment 60019 View attachment 60020 View attachment 60021 View attachment 60022
Charlie - not a fan of the thin ribbons huh???
That hat is OUTSTANDING my friend!!!!

Where did you land this rare gem?

40Cal

One Too Many
Happy Saturday to all.

After some lengthy, patient and bizarre exercises involving a hat stretcher, containers of water, towels, boxes and a heating pad I think that the 1940s teal Dobbs Game Bird may finally be coming to terms that with all of its original parts it WILL be a 7 1/4 and not a 7.

This one is the brother of the green Dobbs I wore a couple of days ago. I sent some pics of that one in action to the gentleman who sold them to me from his father's estate. It was touching to read how happy he was that the hat his father treasured lives on as a small part of his legacy.

I apologize in advance for the number of shots (probably more suited for the Dobbs thread), but as I often do, I love the way the different light plays on the hat.
View attachment 60007 View attachment 60008 View attachment 60009 View attachment 60010 View attachment 60011 View attachment 60012 View attachment 60013 View attachment 60014 View attachment 60015

Great one , Matt! That brim stitching is so cool!

mmbarnes

I'll Lock Up
Happy Saturday to all.

View attachment 60007 View attachment 60008 View attachment 60009 View attachment 60010 View attachment 60011 View attachment 60012 View attachment 60013 View attachment 60014 View attachment 60015

Show off. ;)
Beautiful, buddy.

Bigger Don

Practically Family
The brim is 2 5/8". I had thought it was going to be too much but I love it! My previous hat had a 2 1/2" brim. An extra 1/8" wasn't much at all :D
When Gus Miller and I were deciding the brim for my hat I tried on a couple in his shop since I really had never been a hat guy. Three inches was way too much. We settled on 2 3/4.

I've since bought a fedora with 2" brim, which I'm thinking about converting to a pork pie. My next fedora I think I'll shoot for 2 1/2 to 2 5/8.

40Cal

One Too Many
img_20161112_075454-picsay-jpg.60012

I would love to someday, find a Game Bird just like this. Fantastic, MM!

For me today (and the last few days) a mere Royal Stetson
IMG_6452_zps4rfs9ejm.jpg

Wish I knew it was SatORday sooner. Love seeing HRME in a thin ribbon, May have to switch later. Moon, that 25 is perfection
744cc74e55d2fd875ee9963cb3bd0ec7.jpg
Your "mere Royal Stetson" is an incredible hat , Tommy. Love the color.
I may have to switch to an OR also.... thank you for the reminder!
Moon... looking great as always.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DavidZL