Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Awesome hat. What is the crown height please?

The crown height is not that high - 5.5". It appears higher due to the "tugboat" rake I have creased into the crown. By having the correct angle the middle of the crown keeps the hat off my head, but can create an interesting hat profile. If you look at the pic you can see I have a bit of the top of the crown in the front crease - it adds felt to the crease and allows more "tugboat." I am using the part of the crown that begins tapering. From the side it has the profile of working tugboat - high in the bow and low in the stern. A casual look, IMO, that works well on a thin ribboned hat.

Eric -

Last edited:
Sovereign OR for me earlier today. I think camera distortion has artificially heightened the crown height a little.
7b5fa08b236658c1f7e6d8ae2e316148.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Catching up from yesterday. Great photo! Love the color and pinch of this one Roger!

Vintage Stetson conversion for church today.

View attachment 78239 View attachment 78240
This hat really suits you well. Great tie!

3765a70ef7d77d964ef7e70efb9ddec2.jpg

Kangol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Great texture on that cap, you look sharp. My Haberdasher sells this brand, I think I'll drop in and check them out!

Some hats make a statement, this one SCREAMS! Sweet Harv!

I have a similar disposition on straws, but that looks like a great one.

Yeah, but Moon's straw makes those feelings melt away.

Growing attached to the new Excellent Stratoliner.

10f03ec27805447976ac7af2ac2563a1.jpg
5b267371df8680cabe1b456540d2b288.jpg
48a6989e1f3fad9d005dd3c8f7b1b39f.jpg

Sent directly from my mind to yours.
I sure like mine that I got from Moon. What color is this one?

View attachment 78248
Peters Brothers hemp milan this morning.
Great Milan this morning Bob!

When your darling tells you to do some damage.
f81eb7d4958fada6fe4f33199e01262e.jpg
He is a wise man! Love the look, you are so beautiful.

Mail Call: got this Stephen Stetson Olympic Quality in this mornings mail. Needs a little work. Looks like a Whippet. $26.00 included the shipping.
a990ec1f6450f2040db8444d840d7556.jpg
0beb6db2247dc64101d766a15a360038.jpg
a33ddd8fbb4c17ac9e345f49dce0d6d9.jpg
6d29c71207d670ccb0094e0f25ae1c27.jpg
6d4e02a39cf5e710310d3a9adf2b33c0.jpg

Super find my friend! The story of Stephen Stetson is cool, and I pass it when I can. With a new ribbon and a good cleaning/brushing you have a really nice hat. Looks like mine, my guess it is mid 1950s.

Before 6:00am I headed out to have breakfast with a brother. A cap was my headgear.

i-qZPdxTR-M.jpg

Home again and puttering about the yard I changed to a fedora for shade with the sun at an annoying acute angle. A VS fedora (moss green) was my morning choice.

i-M5QVJNF-M.jpg

My "sleepy eyes" are in the past.

i-QGt5L7M-M.jpg

Best, Eric -

Of all the hats you photograph on the evergreen boughs, this one really is a winner. Perfect color for this technique. Covet as usual!

Michael A

I'll Lock Up

Windsock8e

A-List Customer
The crown height is not that high - 5.5". It appears higher due to the "tugboat" rake I have creased into the crown. By having the correct angle the middle of the crown keeps the hat off my head, but can create an interesting hat profile. If you look at the pic you can see I have a bit of the top of the crown in the front crease - it adds felt to the crease and allows more "tugboat." I am using the part of the crown that begins tapering. From the side it has the profile of working tugboat - high in the bow and low in the stern. A casual look, IMO, that works well on a thin ribboned hat.

Eric -

Thanks for the comprehensive response and clear description. As I read it, I realised that I had done an approximation of a tugboat crease on my hat this morning, although it stands nowhere near as proud as yours.

fe935ed9c08146bbd3784cc99a92ab42.jpg

Windsock8e

A-List Customer
Hot already and promising to stay that way unless a storm blows through. Custom Quality Marathon for the morning,
IMG_4652 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
IMG_4654 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
Heathered blue felt
IMG_4655 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
And sunshine
IMG_4632 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
IMG_4638 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
I'm beat after 3 days of Jazz. Hope everything is working up to a fine 4th in your neighborhoods,
Michael

Can't speak, still in awe of this one.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the comprehensive response and clear description. As I read it, I realised that I had done an approximation of a tugboat crease on my hat this morning, although it stands nowhere near as proud as yours.

fe935ed9c08146bbd3784cc99a92ab42.jpg

I like it.

Looks good. A diamond crease on top with the side profile dipping a bit more in the rear of the hat would make it more similar. Your brim shaping is more "flanged," or has more snap than my pictured hat. Mine has a "flatter" brim which makes the steep rake more pronounced.

I bet the hat looks dapper on.

Crease on. Best, Eric -

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
We're all going to be stalking goodwill and bidding against each other now...!

Been stalking that site for a long time
Things of quality so rarely show up that most lose interest in frequenting

Things do pop up there though... I've scored a few gems... they are few and far between though

Sent from my space aged handheld communication device and universal translator

I sure like mine that I got from Moon. What color is this one?

When Moon got his, I think they were only available in that green. This one is Caribou. That's one reason I really wanted to snap it up as I'd only ever seen the Excellent in green.

He is a wise man! Love the look, you are so beautiful.

Generous, yes. Wise? I dunno...

RJR

Hot already and promising to stay that way unless a storm blows through. Custom Quality Marathon for the morning,
IMG_4652 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
IMG_4654 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
Heathered blue felt
IMG_4655 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
And sunshine
IMG_4632 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
IMG_4638 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
I'm beat after 3 days of Jazz. Hope everything is working up to a fine 4th in your neighborhoods,
Michael
That is a real beauty,congrats.

Windsock8e

A-List Customer
I like it.

Looks good. A diamond crease on top with the side profile dipping a bit more in the rear of the hat would make it more similar. Your brim shaping is more "flanged," or has more snap than my pictured hat. Mine has a "flatter" brim which makes the steep rake more pronounced.

I bet the hat looks dapper on.

Crease on. Best, Eric -

I don't think there is enough height in this one to leave room for my head, but will try on another, thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou