Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very nice, Alan. I came across some Cuenca straw caps on my recent trip to Ecuador. What material is used in the making of your most recent Australian acquisition?

The cap is made by our member Keith Lo Bue. He describes the fabric as hand woven hemp straw:

"The hemp is grown by the Hmong tribeswomen, dried, and the hemp fiber stripped from the stem and pounded, boiled, spun and coated with wax before it can be strung on an old wooden loom and woven into the finished product. All year around the tribeswomen can be seen with hemp fibers wound around their hands, using what spare time they have to connect the separate fibers to make one use-able thread."

The boater is made from braided straw plaits that are attached together in some fashion... I assume sewn. Much like a milan but finer and stiffer.

knoxfineboater4.jpg

knoxfineboater5.jpg

fabiovenhorst

Call Me a Cab
The cap is made by our member Keith Lo Bue. He describes the fabric as hand woven hemp straw:

"The hemp is grown by the Hmong tribeswomen, dried, and the hemp fiber stripped from the stem and pounded, boiled, spun and coated with wax before it can be strung on an old wooden loom and woven into the finished product. All year around the tribeswomen can be seen with hemp fibers wound around their hands, using what spare time they have to connect the separate fibers to make one use-able thread."

The boater is made from braided straw plaits that are attached together in some fashion... I assume sewn. Much like a milan but finer and stiffer.

knoxfineboater4.jpg

knoxfineboater5.jpg
I have a very similar boater, made in Brazil.

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up

knoxfineboater4.jpg

knoxfineboater5.jpg
Just wonderful.

Jeremy T Garner

Practically Family

knoxfineboater4.jpg

knoxfineboater5.jpg
WOW!!! This hat is really something special. Gorgeous

Jeremy T Garner

Practically Family
I don't wear this Dobbs poly enough. I like the blue. It goes with my new shirt from my Haberdasher's big sale last week. Dropped a C-note and got $471 worth (4 new shirts). I also got one to go with my rust colored pug on my NW Panama.

View attachment 79006 View attachment 79007
I love the color of this hat! It really pops!! Sounds like a great deal from your Haberdashery!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot