Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

msoliday

One of the Regulars
That is a fantastic Resistol.

A Beaver Twenty homburg of similar vintage hangs out at my house. Its felt is extraordinarily light and supple. I bet the felt on yours is even nicer.

Is that a Cavanagh Edge I spy on that bad boy?

Thanks! Yes, sure is a cav edge. Such a nice hat. It needs me to wear it more often! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Desert dog

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Akubra Campdraft

vtbYZMgh.jpg
zOGf2zjh.jpg
Really like your CD with the brim up. The jacket and sweater complete the look.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up

65 Classic

Practically Family
Left this morning without posting my homburg of the day. Mossant Diplomatique again, I really love this hat. A little less imposing as the St. Regis. Temperature over my shoulder is the coldest this year so far. Kind of late for a killing frost. I know, you guys from the midwest are saying "that's cute"!

View attachment 96783 View attachment 96784 View attachment 96787
Fine ensemble topped just right. I can see why it's one of your favorites.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
I do believe that of all your hats, that is the one I covet the most. You don't see those colors on homburgs very much. Just exquisite.

Thanks. The brown is a luscious colored felt. Deep and rich and almost wants you to reach out and touch it. I think it looks like a homemade hot dark chocolate milk. As much as I like them I still find myself reaching for other hats more easily. The more formal to my eye and perhaps my learned bias has me shying away from them when I go about daily adventures. This old dog needs to learn new tricks and change my learned patterns. I may ask my wife to toss me a short balding guy treat when ever she sees me wearing a homburg. Operant training works - I learned it in school and reafirmed it on the Bog Band Theory when Sheldon trained Penny with chocolates.

I admire the classy look it gives when you and other loungers wear the homburgs.

Cheers.

That seems to be some serious German in this advertisement. What’s your opinion, Mayser, is this difficult language? I can’t see this being meant for the typical working class of the time.

Here’s my translation:

At the top it says it won a bunch of golden medals across Germany, then there’s the logo and then it says, according to my clumsy translation:

“The lightest and
most elegant stiff
gentleman’s hat never before
matched. The trademark
is born permanently in
gold lettering on the
sweatband.
-Wonderful ventilation
from a new system.-
On hand in the finest
hat stores
at home and abroad.

I’m not even sure if this translation is quite right - the funny grammar makes this advert quite challenging. At least these days i’ve only heard very educated Germans use this kind of grammar. This seems to be an interesting artifact of the class system in 19th century Germany - quite a difference from the typical American vintage hat advertisements I’m familiar with. It doesn’t even list a price!

Thank you for sharing this!
Nathaniel, Thanks! I will have a native speaker take a look at it. Maybe one here will comment too. It's from the 1895 so definitely from a different time. I am not sure where it came from (snipped from) but it's an advertisement from the hat company and not a retailer. You might want to take a look at this "Hat Manufacturer (Manufactory) Of Rehfus & Co, Kehl, Information On The Manufacture in English, German, French and Spanish languages, 1883"

http://germanaustrianhats.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/20-rehfus-federleicht/#entry1255

Kind of a 1930s dock worker look with that coat and cap. I don't know if that was what you were going for, just popped into my head. Great look Harv.

He coulda been a contendah!

Smart and youthful Jim...

Extraordinarily great Mallory. The edge is interesting and the color looks wonderful.

Youthfully Brilliant, Jim.

Thanks, guyz. Actually not so smart and less youthful by the day. [emoji4]

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Takatāpui