Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Hughes

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Esther Weis
8887ffa0e262088add7a2f9051b1e089.jpg
I always enjoy seeing Esther’s work. I would love to see a table of all your Esther Weis hats.

Ottmar Reich possibly late 1930s early 1940s. I don't wear Straw Hats often but this one came with a Felt Hat find from about 3 months of months ago. I tend to think this hat is older because it came from an East German source and Ottmar Reich was located in West Germany.

28478675638_6341fe668e_c.jpg

40544901040_df5c21bf2c_c.jpg

41629578914_7782f3f6c6_c.jpg

27482496637_7be31cd91c_c.jpg

You may not do straw often, but when you do, you do it right, Steve!

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

Tukwila

Great kids today gents!

I cleaned 2 hats last Tuesday in the white gas/naptha bath. Cleaning took about 15 minutes. Filtering the gas back into cans took another hour! Those little coffee filters plug up pretty fast. I was amazed at the amount of dirt removed, how much better the hats look and feel, and crease, too. Very pleased.

Here is one of the cleaning candidates, an older Champ I picked up several weeks back. It looked as though someone tried to clean it with water or a water/vinegar mix. There were white lines left in the felt, and the crease was really wonky and lopsided. Did I say how dirty this one was? Much dirtier than I thought.

i-ZNvf257-X2.jpg

Bill Hughes

Great kids today gents!

I cleaned 2 hats last Tuesday in the white gas/naptha bath. Cleaning took about 15 minutes. Filtering the gas back into cans took another hour! Those little coffee filters plug up pretty fast. I was amazed at the amount of dirt removed, how much better the hats look and feel, and crease, too. Very pleased.

Here is one of the cleaning candidates, an older Champ I picked up several weeks back. It looked as though someone tried to clean it with water or a water/vinegar mix. There were white lines left in the felt, and the crease was really wonky and lopsided. Did I say how dirty this one was? Much dirtier than I thought.

i-ZNvf257-X2.jpg
Does the bath damage the liner or sweatband? I’ve been thinking of doing something to a few of mine. I worry about the tags also.

Richard Morgan

One Too Many
Great kids today gents!

i-ZNvf257-X2.jpg
Great Champ. I gave up on using coffee filters. It took forever and they keep sliding down the side of the funnel and letting the naphta flow around and over them. I have started using a double layer of cotton tee shirt fabric. Seems to filter pretty good, try using a black one and see what you catch, and goes much faster.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Great Champ. I gave up on using coffee filters. It took forever and they keep sliding down the side of the funnel and letting the naphta flow around and over them. I have started using a double layer of cotton tee shirt fabric. Seems to filter pretty good, try using a black one and see what you catch, and goes much faster.
Paint filters. Work great. Put them in a large funnel. Doesn’t take long at all.
B

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails