Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bernie Zack

One of the Regulars
+1... curry and poppy seed. Delicious.

I'm wearing my 7X clear beaver Stetson today.

7XCB3.jpg

7XCB1.jpg

a few more angles here.

I recently purchased a Stetson Playboy from a fellow lounger, looks similar. Very nice.

delectans

Call Me a Cab
Very nice, Billy, looks like it was a great day on the Thames.

Alan, that is a mighty fine lid, and the cards are charming, too.

delectans

Call Me a Cab
Windy City Redux, Part3, Finale

Easter Sunday morning, walking towards Michigan Avenue. In the distance, the Beaux-Arts Chicago Institute Of Art, built in 1893 at its current location, upon the rubble of the Great Fire of Chicago.

No Easter Parade on Michigan Avenue, and certainly no Easter bonnets to be seen anywhere.

Enjoying the morning sun while strolling up the avenue towards one of our favorite restaurants in The Loop, The Gage, for Easter brunch.

Waiting for our table.

We love the energy and vibe at Gage, especially at night after a show or concert. A much more relaxed atmosphere this Easter Sunday morning.

My hat comfortably perched on the wooden banister next to me.

We left The Loop, and, not yet ready to head for home, drove to one of our favorite places in the City, Hyde Park.

The Frederick C. Robie House, arguably Frank Lloyd Wright's greatest Prairie Style design, and our sentimental favorite.

Designed by Frank Lloyd Wright in 1908, it is a seminal work that presaged Modernism in architecture.

The exterior is clad in beautiful red-orange iron-spotted and glazed Roman brick. Wright's signature "Circle-Within-A-Square" here executed in Bedford limestone as an integral planter.

Last edited:

delectans

Call Me a Cab

Just up the street from Robie House, on the University Of Chicago Campus, is the place of my fondest memories as a child, The Oriental Institute.

Established in 1919 by James Henry Breasted, one of my life-long heroes, and America's first Egyptologist. The Neo-Gothic architecture of the museum has fascinating Egyptian Revival facade ornamentation.

One of a pair of Striding Lions which once lined the Processional Way of Ancient Babylon. Molded and glazed brick, Neo-Babylonian Period, ca. 604-562 B.C.E. Reign of Nebuchadnezzar II.

The head of the magnificent Lamassu, one of the centerpieces of the museum.

This remarkable work originally stood in the palace of the Assyrian King Sargon II in his capital city of Khorsabad. Weighing over 40 tons and standing 16ft. high, its creation, subsequent discovery, excavation, and transport back to Chicago in the early 20th Century are the stuff of legends.

Splendid stone relief, one of a pair, which flanked the great Lamassu in the palace throne room of Sargon II.

The bull and reliefs were excavated by The Oriental Institute during the 1928/29 expedition to Dur-Sharrukin.

The ethereal and serene statue of Tutankhamun. Interestingly, though the statue was likely originally commissioned for Tutankhamun, it was usurped by succeeding Pharaohs, and now bears the name of Horemheb.

Carved out of Quarzite, the colossus stands over seventeen feet high, and is the tallest ancient Egyptian statue in the Western Hemisphere. The Oriental Institute excavated a pair of these magnificent statues in the ruins of the Temple of Aye and Horemheb in Thebes, in 1930. The other example is in the Egyptian Museum, Cairo.

Last edited:

delectans

Call Me a Cab

The colossal, black limestone bull that once guarded the entrance to the Hall Of 100 Columns of Persepolis, the great capital of the Achaemenid Empire from 520B.C.E., sacked by Alexander The Great in 331 B.C.E.

The angle and camera lens belie the grand scale of this extraordinary beast. I will have to take better photos next time to give it the proper perspective.

Relief-carved lion from Persepolis.

My hat atop its three dimensional likeness at the base of the stairs of the museum.

A favorite place to sit...

...and reflect, prior to the journey home to Minnesota.

finis

Last edited:

DRB

One Too Many
Zetwal: very nice. Sharp color.

Alan: That hat is so pristine, Can't get enough of it.

Seth: Looks good on you. A very sturdy hat. I am sure you will get some nice compliments about it.

Dinerman: I really like that hat. I have to get me one just like it. I like the almost flat brim.

RlK: nice. How old do you think it is?

RobStC

A-List Customer
Now that's a sweet one. A nice Playboy (or maybe a Knox Vagabond) is still on my list but I haven't found one in a color I really like. Sigh...

+1! Very nice indeed, Zetwal :cool::cool:

Mario, I join you in coveting both a Vagabond and a Playboy. Have just got my first Playboy, but would love to get others, especially in the light weight felt variety such as Zetwal's beauty above. Oh, and a nice Dobbs Cross Country too..... Sigh.....

RobStC

PS: In light grey, please, and I take a 7 1/8..... ;)

Last edited:

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
Out and about in Sydney

At the famous Strand Hatters, Sydney, wearing my current favourite black Marathon.
StrandHattersSydneyApril2011.jpg

Paddington, Sydney, wearing a Dunn & Co cap - probably 50's/60's:
PaddingtonSydneyApril2011.jpg

delectans

Call Me a Cab
Dennis, hasselhoff, Billy, and Alan: My sincere thanks for your very kind words, they are deeply appreciated!

Alan, better prepare for an extra year or two! Where is she studying, if you don't mind me asking?

delectans

Call Me a Cab
She's at Northwestern... grown up a lot since posing for my avatar. <sigh>

I know how you feel. Our Ryan is only a high school freshman, but Lydia and I are already thinking about college options. Northwestern is a wonderful school, and on our short list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24