Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Hat Are You Wearing Today 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spudman

One of the Regulars
I haven't been taking pics in the cold weather so I've been slacking. Today's rainy weather called for the SBCD.
b9d2f865a685c2ff54656fac81366a8d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Do you have more pictures of the rear flange of that hat? It looks like the rear flange is super high and cupped but the front is fairly flat. (almost homburg-ish or lords hat-ish) I love that style. I have only seen it on a few hats.

CAM00363.jpg

As a matter of fact, Josh, I did take a rear view shot. You're right -- the flange of the brim in back is neatly rolled and curled.

My only problem with this Borso is that, while it fits quite comfortably (I'm a 7, as you may remember), is that it does not seem to "grip" my head with the "authority" of some of my other hats, including my 1960s Borsalino Savoy. In a bit of a breeze, this brown seems a bit less secure on my head. Just the innate nature of the beast, I guess.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
View attachment 41721

As a matter of fact, Josh, I did take a rear view shot. You're right -- the flange of the brim in back is neatly rolled and curled.

My only problem with this Borso is that, while it fits quite comfortably (I'm a 7, as you may remember), is that it does not seem to "grip" my head with the "authority" of some of my other hats, including my 1960s Borsalino Savoy. In a bit of a breeze, this brown seems a bit less secure on my head. Just the innate nature of the beast, I guess.

Wow, that is not only a beautiful creased crown profile, but that rear curl is simply spectacular. That is truly a special hat. I remember seeing posts from both Dinerman and Robert that showed American hats with that style. They were half homburg, half fedora. It was a short lived style in the 30's and was marketed towards younger men for the hats "flair."

I am a 7 Long Oval and with vintage hats I have found that the sizing runs all over the board. I have bought 6 7/8 hats that fit perfect, size 7 hats that were too tight, and 7 1/8 hats that fit like a glove. It seems that each manufacture....in different times in the companies history....had sizes that fit different. The same goes for block manufactures. I have owned many blocks that were labeled size 7 for example, and when the sweatband was put into hat, the final product was a very small 7 or even a large 6 7/8. As a 7 long oval, my options are take a risk with a 7, possibly pad an 7 1/8, or try to find that perfect 7 long oval hat that fits like a glove. The treasure hunt continues!

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Josh, that hat was sold to me by HarpPlayerGene, here at the Lounge. The only things I did to it was put a little more diamond to the bash and raise the central dome to clear my head -- it didn't take much raising, as the crown is already pretty tall. About the range of fits for the same size, yes, hatmaking, even when hats were everywhere, was an art, not a science.

ETA: The hat was sold to me by Saucerfiend (aka Brian), who had it from HarpPlayerGene.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails