Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What hat for NYC?

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
carldelo said:
I'm the one who Sam at Everything Australian convinced Akubra to make a size 62 Capricorn for. Now it's available on the website, but as a custom order with 3 month lead time. He had originally told me it would be a cloth sweatband hat, but mine came with the standard leatherette. I'm a true 7-3/4, the hat is a tiny bit loose on me. Didn't we talk about this once - aren't you a LO? Maybe we could arrange to meet and you could try it on sometime. It's a very useful hat to have, the gray has a nice blue undertone to it, and the matching gray brim binding is nice. I don't really care for the contrasting brown binding on the tan hat.

I think you've confused me with someone else. I'm a 7 1/8 regular oval (definitely not RO). Thanks for the offer, though. :) I think I may heed the advice, and do the straw + umbrella.

carldelo

One Too Many
fluteplayer07 said:
I think you've confused me with someone else. I'm a 7 1/8 regular oval (definitely not RO). Thanks for the offer, though. :) I think I may heed the advice, and do the straw + umbrella.

I was actually addressing the post from Skyvue, a fellow melon-head. That was a bit of a thread hijacking, for which I apologize - sorry about that.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
carldelo said:
I'm the one who Sam at Everything Australian convinced Akubra to make a size 62 Capricorn for. Now it's available on the website, but as a custom order with 3 month lead time. He had originally told me it would be a cloth sweatband hat, but mine came with the standard leatherette. I'm a true 7-3/4, the hat is a tiny bit loose on me. Didn't we talk about this once - aren't you a LO? Maybe we could arrange to meet and you could try it on sometime. It's a very useful hat to have, the gray has a nice blue undertone to it, and the matching gray brim binding is nice. I don't really care for the contrasting brown binding on the tan hat.

I'm a 7 5/8, but extra long oval, so I usually have to settle for a 63 with gaps on the sides.

But I'd love to try yours on for size sometime, if you're game. I'd be thrilled to learn that the Capricorn would fit me (though not so thrilled with that waiting period).

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
carldelo said:
I was actually addressing the post from Skyvue, a fellow melon-head. That was a bit of a thread hijacking, for which I apologize - sorry about that.

Duh. :p Sorry. I really need to learn to follow the flow of conversation on these boards closer.

Damon Falzone

One of the Regulars
OK, getting back to "fluteplayer's" original question, don't bring any hat. Visit Bencraft or JJ Hat Center or Worth & Worth and pick up a new felt and/or straw. It will be a memorable NYC purchase. And you'll get to visit 3 of NYC's finest hatters. Have fun!

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Damon Falzone said:
OK, getting back to "fluteplayer's" original question, don't bring any hat. Visit Bencraft or JJ Hat Center or Worth & Worth and pick up a new felt and/or straw. It will be a memorable NYC purchase. And you'll get to visit 3 of NYC's finest hatters. Have fun!
Ha! Great idea.

carldelo

One Too Many
Damon Falzone said:

Yeah, that's the ticket. In fact, last week a friend asked what kind of hat to take on vacation to Rome and I advised him to pick up something as soon as he gets there - what better souvenir than a straw from abroad?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Damon Falzone said:
don't bring any hat. Visit Bencraft or JJ Hat Center or Worth & Worth and pick up a new felt and/or straw. It will be a memorable NYC purchase.
But then you'd be traveling to NYC and scurrying around to the various shops in a hatless state with the pressure of having to buy a hat. And what if you don't see something you like or they're out of your size in something you do like? No, I'd bring a hat and have any new purchases shipped back home.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24