Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What hat should I wear with frosbite?

EricH

One of the Regulars
Since we've finally moved into the sub and double digit sub zero temps (not including windchill) here in the state of Frostbite Falls I am at a loss for the proper hat choice. Granted the dependable "Fargo" plaid flap hats keep you warm, but they just don't go with a camel coat. I'm also not sure if I should choose a color to match the burnt red/frosbite white of my cheeks. On the other hand maybe when I order that hat someday from Art I'll have him put in some of those nice fold down ear flaps. Seems a bit odd though on a Taos or Bourbon. Any suggestions? Eric

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Notice the real beaver has fur?

Screw the fedora. In THOSE temp's I would look like Philo Farnsworth with the checked hat and ear muffs. Most parts of the country get away with the heavy felt fedora, a good keeper of body warmth. But in the area you describe, and now I am thinking the movie "Fargo",...burrrrrr. Then you notice the Troopers with the dome fur hats with the ear muffs. Sound decision of protection vs. style. On those warmer days, I would buy a Beaver fedora from Art or Steve.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Take a photo of the snow and icicles

Oh and Eric, post some pictures so us folks in sunny California can see how Real People live in other parts of the USA!! My wife's family is from Minneapolis, years ago..and she kids me that a BAY AREA, SF guy like me would DIE in the cold of MN. Weclome to the Lounge!

EricH

One of the Regulars
Andy, I'll have to dig some photos out and find out how to post them here. I'm originally a NE Ohio boy who migrated long ago to the coldest state I could get my wife to move to. The weather is wicked here. As I like to tell people, the last year my father in law visited he came in December when it was -35 without the windchill. He said we were nuts, but agreed to visit in the summer. It reached +110 degrees the week he chose. Never been back since. It does give one a lot of hat choices. To be honest, when the heavy snow hits I don my well worn leather Jackaru bush hat and a pair of wraparound ear muffs to go after the snow. I've got a brother out in the Mill Valley and other family up towards Arts neck of the woods so I'm figuring I'll have to make the trip out to the fedora mecca. I'll pick up the first round. :cheers1: Eric

gekisai29

One of the Regulars
sherared beaver or other fur.. trooper or cossack style with ear flaps does the trick for me. There are several online places where you can order them for about $175 and up depending on the fur. Rabbit is ok to though not a nice but less costly.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
We have the best weather, bar none!

EricH said:
Andy,......... I've got a brother out in the Mill Valley and other family up towards Arts neck of the woods so I'm figuring I'll have to make the trip out to the fedora mecca. I'll pick up the first round. :cheers1: Eric

Thanks! If you have a brother in Mill Valley, he probalby laughs at you for living in the frozen section of the grocery store! Move out to the Bay Area! We have the best climate!

I CHALLANGE ANY LOUNGE MEMBER TO DISPUTE THAT WE HAVE THE BEST WEATHER, BAR NONE (Exlcuding San Diego, of course).

Say, I am gonna post this in the OB.!!

The Wingnut

One Too Many
I was nearly flooded out on New Year's Day(the river stopped 10 feet short of my front door). Move a little closer to the ocean and you'll find out just how much you HATE rain if you've lived in California for any length of time.

I don't like the 'maze of suburbia' that San Jose was when I was living there, but there's something to be said for having 10 sunny months out of your year. My current locale is rainy 4 months out of the year, which isn't saying much relative to many other areas of the U.S., but those 4 months more than make up for the other 8 in sheer volume. I really should own a boat just for emergencies.

...and to keep us on topic, I have two Soviet ushankas that are perfect for cold weather...you can still find the real fur ones if you do some digging, and at decent prices.

Pilgrim

One Too Many
In the closet, I have a hat called the "Mad Bomber". It's probably rabbit fur, but it's the classic fur-on-the-inside-with-earflaps model. When I have to be outside for a while at Zero, it's the one!

Rocky and Bullwinkle would be proud!

Shademaker

New in Town
In those temps, style quickly is forgotten and people wear whatever they can find that keeps them warm. I used to live in a place that regularly got down to -40 and snow was on the ground for 6 months out of the year. People put on anything and everything they had to ward off the biting cold.

mjbrekke

New in Town
Fellow Minnesotan here, Eric. Nearly lifelong, in fact. If it's under 20F, the fedoras go on the shelf and something with ear flaps goes on the head. I've got a cheap imitation fur trooper hat I wear when it really gets cold. I have had some good results with 180 brand ear muffs--the kind that wrap around the back of your head. I can make those work with a fedora in a pinch.

Coats, of course, are another problem. Several years ago, I found a down-filled trench coat that doesn't look too bad on those subzero days. But for those long walks around the lake with the dog, I've recently discovered snowmobile suits. How's that for style?

WEEGEE

Practically Family
SO WARM

I've worn on the coldest of days a rabbit hat with wool ear flaps...it was a

gift 20 years ago and i don't know if they are made any more but i've

seen the hat on ebay regularly.

made by --NORTH KING JJ SEIFTER & SONS NATURAL RABBIT HAT

Andkev--
I CHALLANGE ANY LOUNGE MEMBER TO DISPUTE THAT WE HAVE THE BEST WEATHER, BAR NONE (Exlcuding San Diego, of course).

Best...what is this best...New York can be like Oklahoma...if you don't

like the weather...wait 15 minites!!!

AAAAWIND.jpg

Regards,

WeeGee:cheers1:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner