Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What hat with a tuxedo?

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
Come now metropd, should he be bound by what seems appropriate to you? Social mores are governed by social expectations and these are constantly changing. The rules of yesteryear are not like binding laws - as Hadley points out they are not a museum; they change, and the jury of convention is much more flexible in its judgments today than in days gone by.

There are no rules...merely opinions.

Lokar

A-List Customer
One of the wonderful things about black tie is the rules, though. I don't get the obsession so many people have with changing things that work - black tie has existed as a classic style for decades, and every time somebody tries a new "fashion" to improve it, it inevitably looks ridiculous and the classic style still stays classic.

If you're going to wear the wrong hat with black tie, why not wear a colour cummerbund? Why not wear a necktie? Why not have a dinner jacket with pink lapels? Why not go in a pinstripe suit? Why not go in jeans?

I understand that some people can't abide appearing "classic", and always want to try to stretch boundaries of fashion, but there's a time and a place. You wouldn't (I hope) want to be fashionable and cool at a funeral, because there's a time and a place.

I absolutely agree with metropd, that trilby looks wrong (although I have seen much worse - and his missing bowtie is much more of a problem.

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
I agree Lokar that the classic look is wonderful.
I like it, but merely point out that turning my likes into rules is not appropriate.

As I say, there are no rules, merely opinions.

Lokar

A-List Customer
I suppose it depends on the occasion.

If you're going to somewhere where you've got a traditional formal invitation, stating "black tie only", then turning up in anything other than black tie (and there are rules for black tie - admittedly written 60-70 years ago, but there still are) would be rude.

Going to a media event where half of the men go in a plain black suit, but you choose to wear a dinner suit - then you're right, playing around with different accessories or whatever you want seems fair enough.

Maybe someone will come up with something new to do with black tie that seems to be elegant and matches the tradition and elegance of black tie. You never know...

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Lokar said:
Maybe someone will come up with something new to do with black tie that seems to be elegant and matches the tradition and elegance of black tie. You never know...
I have - wearing a bottonhole other than a carnation or cornflower. I wore a purple flower which I got from my garden (to match my prom date's dress). It is not 100% satorially correct but by no means did it ruin the look of my otherwise correctly assembled black tie outfit (I class the hat I wore in my avatar as correct providing it is removed indoors). The only problem with the flower in question was that it died two hours into the evening and wilted, so it had to be removed.

If you're going to wear the wrong hat with black tie, why not wear a colour cummerbund?
Actually, I believe this is allowed within the guidelines, providing that the bow tie remains black.

Lancealot

Practically Family
My questions came up due to a wedding I'm in today and the tux is styled and cut almost like a zoot suit. It's along cut jacket and the vest and tie is almost navy (to match with the bridesmaids dresses). I always wear a hat so my crowd is used to it, however there wsas no hat supplied the tux. So I wanted to try to find something from my collection to wear with it while outside at the reception and in and out of the church due to the rain here today. I believe I will go with a navy fedora I have which seems to match the closest. I unfortunately do not own a wide brimmed black fedora, which would be my first choice. The closest I have is a black trilby.

Lokar

A-List Customer
avedwards said:
Actually, I believe this is allowed within the guidelines, providing that the bow tie remains black.

I think it's against the classic "rules", in the rulebooks of old, but it's something people often tinker with, and probably perfectly acceptable. I've never seen it done in a way that I appreciate, but I'm a real stickler for the black in black tie. That and that most people just get a horrible bright red polyester cummerbund, and I was largely meaning that sort of colour cummerbund, which looks terrible and is unfortunately one of the only "updates" to black tie that has stuck, and it's awful.

As for the buttonhole - that's a perfect example. Breaking the tradition of flower choice to match your date's dress is great.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Lokar said:
I think it's against the classic "rules", in the rulebooks of old, but it's something people often tinker with, and probably perfectly acceptable. I've never seen it done in a way that I appreciate, but I'm a real stickler for the black in black tie. That and that most people just get a horrible bright red polyester cummerbund, and I was largely meaning that sort of colour cummerbund, which looks terrible and is unfortunately one of the only "updates" to black tie that has stuck, and it's awful.

As for the buttonhole - that's a perfect example. Breaking the tradition of flower choice to match your date's dress is great.
I agree, a coloured cummerbund should still be subtle. My father has a silk burgundy cummerbund which works quite nicely, though of course it would be at it's best with a white dinner jacket.

I'd say the only other ways of adding colour (aside from a subtle cummerbund) are buttonhole, pocket square and cape lining, if you wear a cape of course. However, I personally prefer a black cummerbund anyway, a white pocket square and I haven't had a chance to wear black tie in colder weather yet (the last time I wore black tie it was so warm that I ended up the only person keeping my jacket and bowtie on).

And of course a hat is a way of adding colour, since a grey or dark blue fedora can be worn.

Lokar

A-List Customer
http://www.blacktieguide.com/Classic_Components/Alternatives.htm#color has good suggestions regarding colour in black tie (and, although I wouldn't wear them, especially as I prefer a waistcoat, the cummerbunds look fine to me). It also has a quote that sums up my opinions on "breaking the rules" perfectly:

The key to dressing well is to find freedom within the rules. Anyone can be completely different, since it’s easy to be outrageous. The trick is to be just that bit different.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Manufacturers should bring back the Tuxedo hat, a hat designed specifically for this purpose, and then we wouldn't be having this discussion!lol

Brad

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
To thine own sense of style be true

bigFedora.jpg

Carlisle Blues

avedwards said:
Should I ever have to attend a black tie event with you I'll remember to bring you a spare black grosgrain ribbon.

Is this better????

755za_zoot.jpg
Raffinati Zoot Tux

Add a hat and chain to this tuxedo and then hit the town with this fun and playful full-length, four-button pinstripe Zoot suit.

Available in Black with white pinstripe.

Carlisle Blues

Lokar said:
Pinstripes? Necktie?

That's not a tuxedo...

Perhaps.....What do you think of these? What hat to wear???

OB-DP298_tux501_G_20090501231656.jpg

These unconventional styles represent the extreme of designers' attempts to liven up the tuxedo. Few men will actually wear them. But the garments attract attention, and it is hoped that men will wear other styles by the same designer, the strategy goes. Designers, of course, say the new looks can substitute for a traditional tuxedo on formal occasions, though they concede not every man can pull them off.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
metropd said:
IMHO I think this trilby is completely disproportionate and unbalanced to his dinner suit. He should "Do the right thing" and wear a hat that completes an elegant ensemble not ruin the whole outfit.

Would this be more balanced?
ist2_4399853-man-and-the-hat.jpg
;) :p

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Carlisle Blues said:
Perhaps.....What do you think of these? What hat to wear???

OB-DP298_tux501_G_20090501231656.jpg

I'll never utter this sentence again: I like the tuxedo with the shorts more than the others.
:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo