Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

what hat

JohnTheHat

New in Town
theinterchange said:
. BUT they're also suited to wearing out and about,
Randy
more casual I would think, wet day, but I might wear with an overcoat i f raining. I am a bit eclectic re hats

JohnTheHat said:
What do you think defines the hat style then?
I would like a hat like J Depp wears in the movie Public Enemies
Crown size & shape along with brim size & shape.
Look at a Bowler vs a Top Hat vs a Homburg vs a Fedora (lots of subcategories here)
Look at an American Western vs an Aussie Outback = they usually have brims greater than 3 inches
A Trilby is just a short brimmed Fedora to me where a Porkpie is a Fedora of a specific crown & brim shape.
Johnny Depp wore a 2 inch brim, straight sided, high crown Fedora in Public Enemy.
I prefer Open Road style hats, which I grew up calling Snap Brims as opposed to wide ribboned, raw or welted edged "Fedoras" like the infamous Indiana Jones hat.
Lots of gray areas & sometimes, a hat is just a hat...

JohnTheHat

New in Town
gtdean48 said:
A Trilby is just a short brimmed Fedora to me...
indeed I have a trilby described on the UK site where i bought it as trilby but on their US site as a fedora
I really liked the hats worn in The Good Shepherd movie with Matt Damon

JohnTheHat said:
..I really liked the hats worn in The Good Shepherd movie with Matt Damon
With Matt's jaw line & facial features, a 2 inch brim works for him. I liked Stephen Lang's hat in Public Enemy, looked like a dark blue/grey Open Road but his character was brought up from Texas, so more of a rural, country style hat.

JohnTheHat

New in Town
gtdean48 said:
With Matt's jaw line & facial features, a 2 inch brim works for him.
How is the relationship between facial type and hat style determined
I liked Stephen Lang's hat in Public Enemy, looked like a dark blue/grey Open Road but his character was brought up from Texas, so more of a rural, country style hat.
must have a look back at that movie character and his hat

Sam Craig

One Too Many
some differences

There's a huge difference between a trilby and a fedora if you decide to change the shape of the crown.

There's only so much you can do with a trilby because the crown is shaped differently and is generally shorter, so when you are ordering a hat, keep in mind the use it will be put to.

Most modern, crushables, which are so popular, cannot be changed. The crown will always stay as it was when you bought it — at least if you want it to look decent.

But a fedora with more crown to begin with can be reshaped.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou